Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"14 Airport Hacks" - Seems Wrong/Unethical

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 5:41 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I have done this with water bottles, so I have something to drink on long haul flights. Never had a problem getting them past security. One TSA guy even said "oh, so you know about that trick!"
TSA publishes this so it's not even much of a hack. You just have to make sure it's still 100% frozen. Though to me it's not worth the hassle.

https://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_r...l%20ice%20pack

Agree with others the article is pretty dumb...mostly stuff that won't work or is obvious.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chris19992
Mostly a bunch of stupid ideas in a list.
The shopping bag one though, works a treat

I will add one of my own though.
In Philippine airports it's quite common for them to take lighters off you (for reasons only they know), pack it between 2 electronic devices such as a phone and small tablet, the machine will not pick it up and you can carry on while everyone else loses their lighters
China, also.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:35 pm
Suspended

I have to ask, what "major" US airports in 2016 don't have free public WiFi? I know many mid-small airports either don't have WiFi or make you pay to use it, but I am curious what major hubs don't or make you pay so I can avoid flying into them.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
1. Use any card to get free movies

This reminds me of it being 1996, and using AOL "free 1 month access" to the internet. If their system allows whatever non-credit card to be accepted, it's more the airlines fault. I doubt that it really works, but if it does, I'd say have fun with it (and the risk they'll later bill you for it.. )
I think it's more likely to work with credit cards that have been canceled. In that sense, no different than paying on board for upgrades, snacks, or duty free with a canceled credit card. The system often allows it when no internet connection. If their system allows though a non-credit card, that's a ridiculous system

3. Don’t get into the line when your schedule changes

That's what all FTers are doing.
If I have lounge access (airline lounge, not 3rd party), I'm heading to the lounge. Otherwise, I'm getting online while simultaneously calling. But it depends on the airline. If I'm flying LY, for example, I aint calling them. I'm calling my travel agent and/or FIL

doing it.

6. Acquire shopping bags. Avoid overweight fees

Pretty much what I suggest to any FTer asking for advise If the airline wants to close this loophole, they'll better fight the airport authorities (ie, won't happen)
It's what I've done. I don't see it being closed anytime soon, unless they require EVERYTHING you carry on to be placed in your carry-on or simply require EVERYTHING, including purchases, to completely fit in the sizer

10. BYO Snacks

Yeah, but I'm missing the "hack" on this.
Me too

13. Wrangle stray luggage carts for free

This is mostly about landside (and even there, just a few airports do so..)
Ya, never seen it airside

Remembers me of the guys that figured out you could pay the fee by credit card in FRA, and make a "mint" run If you're really having lots of time, and you're at one of those airports.. but then, just let some homeless people do that. Not really a hack..
What?

14. Make calls from the airport phones to wherever

If it's an emergency, just ask the information desk. Whenever I was in a foreign country and "too cheap" to use roaming (at 6$/minute..) when I needed to do a local call, this worked for me without doing illegal stuff. If there is really no information desk, or you're in deep trouble, I could understand using it to some degree. But why not just ask a stranger for help? Local calls in most countries are free or so cheap I wouldn't object to lend my phone for a moment if asked nicely..
I've borrowed the phones of airport employees (Starbucks baristas are always great)

All in all, some "tricks" are OKish, but nothing really new to me or any semi-experienced traveller. Some tricks are pure nuts

^

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
In my experience it's more likely than not that you'll find a luggage cart wandering in the parking lot. Since they are ripoff-priced I have no qualms about grabbing one if I see it.
I don't actually think there's an issue. I've even seen airport employees recommend pax getting out of their cars take the few carts before they (said employees) collected them. But again, this is only in the parking lot. International arrivals, no options but to pay.

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I have done this with water bottles, so I have something to drink on long haul flights. Never had a problem getting them past security. One TSA guy even said "oh, so you know about that trick!"
Interesting, didn't know that was specifically allowed

Originally Posted by airplanegod
I have to ask, what "major" US airports in 2016 don't have free public WiFi? I know many mid-small airports either don't have WiFi or make you pay to use it, but I am curious what major hubs don't or make you pay so I can avoid flying into them.
Port Authority airports (EWR, LGA, JFK) allow half hour of free internet and then it costs money
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Stupid article. Pack a gun. Please.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:59 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Originally Posted by Low Roller
I agree that wifi should be free where the infrastructure exists to provide it. But...just because you think something should be free, doesn't mean you should steal it if it isn't
Rolling back your computer's clock is hardly stealing now is it? Do you think it costs them anything in terms of resources of money if you do that?

It's 2016. People shouldn't be making money off something as elementary as WiFi in public spaces such as an airport. What's next, charging for toilets in the airport?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bakpapier
Rolling back your computer's clock is hardly stealing now is it? Do you think it costs them anything in terms of resources of money if you do that?

It's 2016. People shouldn't be making money off something as elementary as WiFi in public spaces such as an airport. What's next, charging for toilets in the airport?
Paying $800 for a flight and then charging for a small bag of chips also seems ridiculous. Does that give me the right to steal the chips?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:57 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
What's next, charging for toilets in the airport?
In Varadero Cuba, the airport toilets are free but they do charge for toilet paper (attendants hand out a few sheets as you enter and expect tips)
Old Sep 26, 2016, 5:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Low Roller
In Varadero Cuba, the airport toilets are free but they do charge for toilet paper (attendants hand out a few sheets as you enter and expect tips)
Also common in China, but I generally avoid such toilets unless there is a dire emergency (not because of the TP upcharge).
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:42 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Saw this article in Flipboard: [link omitted so as not to encourage traffic and views to a rogue Internet web site] and it seems quite wrong. The article goes through 14 "great hacks" to improve your airport experience, but some seem simply incorrect, some seem unethical, and maybe even illegal/dangerous? Altogether, seems like their journalistic integrity is nonexistent if they're willing to convince their readers to participate in shady stuff

Overall, just seems like a terrible thing for them to post
Even shadier and more terrible is that the article to which you linked blatantly plagiarized this original article — word for word and including photographs — from more than two years ago with no attribution.

Now that is wrong and unethical...

Last edited by Canarsie; Sep 26, 2016 at 9:47 am
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Even shadier and more terrible is that the article to which you linked blatantly plagiarized this original article — word for word and including photographs — from more than two years ago with no attribution.

Now that is wrong and unethical...
Just when I thought they had some integrity
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Paying $800 for a flight and then charging for a small bag of chips also seems ridiculous. Does that give me the right to steal the chips?
If I steal the chips, then the owner (airline) won't have that bag of chips anymore.

If I change my computer's time for more wifi, I am not actually taking anything away from the airport authority, because me using the wifi for half an hour more than intended does not actually cost them anything.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If I steal the chips, then the owner (airline) won't have that bag of chips anymore.

If I change my computer's time for more wifi, I am not actually taking anything away from the airport authority, because me using the wifi for half an hour more than intended does not actually cost them anything.
That's the same logic used to justify illegally downloading movies, music, etc.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
"13. Wrangle stray luggage carts for free"

I used to do this all the time at ORD. Except I'd go to Departures and pick up a free trolley. Not so much to save money, but because coming into the US I would never have US coins on me to get a trolley at Arrivals.

Now I think trolleys are free at the international terminal.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:24 am

Me not posting it doesn't remove it from them (...) It's clear from how I posted that I'm NOT endorsing.
Endorsement isn't the point. By posting here, you're driving traffic to them. If they run ads, you're bringing them additional revenue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.