Reload this Page >

"14 Airport Hacks" - Seems Wrong/Unethical

Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

Saw this article in Flipboard: http://www.airlineheart.net/14-airpo...flight-better/and it seems quite wrong. The article goes through 14 "great hacks" to improve your airport experience, but some seem simply incorrect, some seem unethical, and maybe even illegal/dangerous? Altogether, seems like their journalistic integrity is nonexistent if they're willing to convince their readers to participate in shady stuff
  1. Use any card to get free movies - somehow I doubt that works, and even if so, seems illegal (certainly unethical) as it's encouraging stealing
  2. Roll back your computer’s clock for more time on WiFi - same as above
  3. Don’t get into the line when your schedule changes - It's true that the line can be very long but just as true that the phone line can take forever to answer, especially if you're not elite. The one hack I would've added here is it can be worth spending the money to enter the airline's lounge in such a scenario so they can help take care of alternate travel needs
  4. Pay less for flights by booking impossible connections - just seems like awful advice to give that can significantly backfire
  5. Pack a gun - this one, I have no idea if accurate, and also seems like dumb advice. Pack a gun if you would have anyways (knowing the laws, etc.). But don't pack a gun "just because"
  6. Acquire shopping bags. Avoid overweight fees - not unheard of and borderline on the ethical though it probably does work (at least usually)
  7. BYO Booze - terrible advice from a legal perspective as while some FAs may not care, most will
  8. Pack a dense bag to fool the x-ray machines - this one seems wrong, unethical, and dangerous. If it's wrong, why the heck would you suggest this, just setting up travelers for failure. In that sense, zero integrity to post this. If it does work, that indicates a horrible security flaw and TERRIBLE use of judgement in publicizing such a loophole.
  9. Freeze liquids to get them through security - I've heard mixed stories about success with this trick, but even if it works, probably seems a waste of time.
  10. BYO Snacks - sure, but also doesn't sound like a genius needs to come up with this "crazy plan"
  11. Give chocolates to the crew - fair enough
  12. Bypass lazy WiFi passwords - I highly doubt this works
  13. Wrangle stray luggage carts for free - also shouldn't take a genius to figure this one out. Though if he means to actually wrangle a locked cart, then this is wrong and unethical
  14. Make calls from the airport phones to wherever - refer back to 1 and 2

Overall, just seems like a terrible thing for them to post

Last edited by joshwex90; Sep 28, 2016 at 12:29 am Reason: strange formatting issue
Old Sep 25, 2016, 4:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

While I doubt I would use any of these hacks myself, I found the article surprisingly enjoyable.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
If you feel that way, then why are you re-posting it to a more popular website?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 6:03 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
- just seems like awful advice to give that can significantly backfirePay less for flights by booking impossible connections
Is that even possible thru official chancels. Obviously if you buy separate tickets, it's your own fault. But I would imagine that every airlines takes into account MCTs when offering connections.

Pack a dense bag to fool the x-ray machines
Almost certainly wouldn't work. If they can't see what's in the bag, they'll either ask you to empty it (as it has been the case for me in AMS) or simply open your bag, turn it over and let everything fall into a bin to rescan it (as they have done in FRA). Of course that requires the security agents to look very carefully.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 6:09 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Saw this article in Flipboard: http://www.airlineheart.net/14-airpo...flight-better/and it seems quite wrong. The article goes through 14 "great hacks" to improve your airport experience, but some seem simply incorrect, some seem unethical, and maybe even illegal/dangerous? Altogether, seems like their journalistic integrity is nonexistent if they're willing to convince their readers to participate in shady stuff
  1. Use any card to get free movies - somehow I doubt that works, and even if so, seems illegal (certainly unethical) as it's encouraging stealing
  2. Roll back your computers clock for more time on WiFi
    - same as above

Using a bad card will probably backfire as they know who was in that seat.

However I dont think rolling back your computer clock for wifi is bad advice at all. In my opinion, free wifi should be provided at any major transportation hub, such as major train stations and airports. We live in 2016. In most civilized countries, free wifi is provided at the airport and even unlimited, sadly in some countries this doesnt seem to be so straightforward (such as brazil...'
Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by Bakpapier
However I dont think rolling back your computer clock for wifi is bad advice at all. In my opinion, free wifi should be provided at any major transportation hub, such as major train stations and airports. We live in 2016. In most civilized countries, free wifi is provided at the airport and even unlimited, sadly in some countries this doesnt seem to be so straightforward (such as brazil...'
I agree that wifi should be free where the infrastructure exists to provide it. But...just because you think something should be free, doesn't mean you should steal it if it isn't
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by will2288
If you feel that way, then why are you re-posting it to a more popular website?
Me not posting it doesn't remove it from them. I'm not posting in an encouraging manner nor am I an author. When a website posts that in that manner, it's an endrosement. It's clear from how I posted that I'm NOT endorsing. It would be different if there was sensitive data, but there isn't.

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Is that even possible thru official chancels. Obviously if you buy separate tickets, it's your own fault. But I would imagine that every airlines takes into account MCTs when offering connections.

Almost certainly wouldn't work. If they can't see what's in the bag, they'll either ask you to empty it (as it has been the case for me in AMS) or simply open your bag, turn it over and let everything fall into a bin to rescan it (as they have done in FRA). Of course that requires the security agents to look very carefully.
Agreed on both counts

Originally Posted by Bakpapier
Using a bad card will probably backfire as they know who was in that seat.

I agree WiFi should be free. But that doesn't give me the right to get it free if they want me to pay. In that sense, it seems no different than stealing a neighbor's WiFi.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:47 am

Let me go through the points, and put my own point of view into it:

1. Use any card to get free movies

This reminds me of it being 1996, and using AOL "free 1 month access" to the internet. If their system allows whatever non-credit card to be accepted, it's more the airlines fault. I doubt that it really works, but if it does, I'd say have fun with it (and the risk they'll later bill you for it.. )

2. Roll back your computers clock for more time on WiFi

Unless the system is very dumb set up, this will not work. In todays world with multiple phones/tablets, often you can get several hours free anyway, plus otherwise a simple "MAC Changer" will often do the trick. Again, I don't really see much moralic reason not to do it, but on most airports, cheating it won't be so easy for a total computer-idiot.

3. Dont get into the line when your schedule changes

That's what all FTers are doing.

4. Pay less for flights by booking impossible connections

I know some people who book 45min connections through FRA, or similar stunts, with the clear intention to grab EU261 should some small delay happen (and you can almost guarantee that, if you book some flights..)

I don't see anything wrong with that, as long as you proceed to the Gate at regular speed, and miss your flight then. Personally, I'd not do it as a matter of getting money, but I won't blame anyone doing it.

5. Pack a gun

Dumb idea in about all but one country. And even there..

6. Acquire shopping bags. Avoid overweight fees

Pretty much what I suggest to any FTer asking for advise If the airline wants to close this loophole, they'll better fight the airport authorities (ie, won't happen)

7. BYO Booze

Forbidden. And honestly a dumb idea. Either book a full service carrier, or pay on the LCCs for it. Or, if flying a dry carrier, suck it up. You booked the ticket.

8. Pack a dense bag to fool the x-ray machines

Dumb idea.

9. Freeze liquids to get them through security

Dumb idea. You want to get into trouble, buddy?

10. BYO Snacks

Yeah, but I'm missing the "hack" on this.

11. Give chocolates to the crew

I personally don't think this is a good idea, but I know others on FT are doing it. Can't rate it.

12. Bypass lazy WiFi passwords

Or use a "Free Wifi" that is collecting all your data. Dumb and dangerous idea, unless you're using a proper VPN. But then you'd probably have legal access somewhere, anyway.

13. Wrangle stray luggage carts for free

This is mostly about landside (and even there, just a few airports do so..)

Remembers me of the guys that figured out you could pay the fee by credit card in FRA, and make a "mint" run If you're really having lots of time, and you're at one of those airports.. but then, just let some homeless people do that. Not really a hack..

14. Make calls from the airport phones to wherever

If it's an emergency, just ask the information desk. Whenever I was in a foreign country and "too cheap" to use roaming (at 6$/minute..) when I needed to do a local call, this worked for me without doing illegal stuff. If there is really no information desk, or you're in deep trouble, I could understand using it to some degree. But why not just ask a stranger for help? Local calls in most countries are free or so cheap I wouldn't object to lend my phone for a moment if asked nicely..

All in all, some "tricks" are OKish, but nothing really new to me or any semi-experienced traveller. Some tricks are pure nuts.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Do any of these really qualify as "Hacks"? Most of them are dumb, and are unlikely to work.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my experience it's more likely than not that you'll find a luggage cart wandering in the parking lot. Since they are ripoff-priced I have no qualms about grabbing one if I see it.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Mostly a bunch of stupid ideas in a list.
The shopping bag one though, works a treat

I will add one of my own though.
In Philippine airports it's quite common for them to take lighters off you (for reasons only they know), pack it between 2 electronic devices such as a phone and small tablet, the machine will not pick it up and you can carry on while everyone else loses their lighters
Old Sep 25, 2016, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Use any card to get free movies.

I doubt this works. Even if it does, it's not worth it. They know who was in that seat. Even if they don't chase you, it will be noted somewhere.

Roll back your computers clock for more time on WiFi.

Again, I doubt it works. If it did, everyone would be doing it

Dont get into the line when your schedule changes.

Reasonable advice, but check roaming charges if you're calling from overseas.

Pay less for flights by booking impossible connections.

Might work 1% of the time. The other 99% of the time, you just end up with an inconvenient flight.

Pack a gun.

The. Dumbest. Advice. Ever. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Seriously. Big-time. Dumb.

Acquire shopping bags. Avoid overweight fees.

I have been doing this for years. It works.

BYO Booze.

Almost as dumb as the gun. Not quite. But almost.

Pack a dense bag to fool the x-ray machines.

Total BS.

Freeze liquids to get them through security.

Dumb again. Guaranteed to bring you to the attention of security officers.

BYO Snacks.

This is not a hack. It's just being cheap.

Give chocolates to the crew.

This won't get you an upgrade, or preferential treatment. Because it's pretty obvious that's what you're fishing for.

Bypass lazy WiFi passwords.

If Delta's password really was what they said it was, I'll bet it's been changed now.

Wrangle stray luggage carts for free.

Fairly standard practise. More to cut down on the hassle of collecting one than saving cash.

Make calls from the airport phones to wherever.

Surely you can do that on Skype or Whatsapp if you've been so successful at hacking all that wifi?

All things considered, I'm not impressed with this article.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
[*]
- I've heard mixed stories about success with this trick, but even if it works, probably seems a waste of time.Freeze liquids to get them through security

I have done this with water bottles, so I have something to drink on long haul flights. Never had a problem getting them past security. One TSA guy even said "oh, so you know about that trick!"
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I have done this with water bottles, so I have something to drink on long haul flights. Never had a problem getting them past security. One TSA guy even said "oh, so you know about that trick!"
Well, I've hardly ever seen an airport without drinking tap water (or even "purified" free water stations) so why not bring empty bottle of water, and use those to refill?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: SPG, Rapid Rewards, HHonors.
I bring my own booze every time I fly. Put one or two airplane bottles in my liquids plastic bag and go about my day. I believe you aren't breaking any rules if you have the FA serve the drink to you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.