Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

This Douglas DC-3 shows up at your gate on a connecting flight. Would you board?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This Douglas DC-3 shows up at your gate on a connecting flight. Would you board?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:22 am

Would I board? I would climb over people to get on board first.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
Related question: any Super Connies still out there flying?
Breitling has a Super Connie in their fleet. I believe that you'll need membership in their club to book flights with them.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Absolutely. I flew on a B-24 a few weeks ago. Have to assume these classics are being well maintained.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
OK, we've established that fact that pretty much all of us would fight each other to board a DC-3.

Let's make it more interesting: how about a 50-year-old DC-9? Not nearly as rare, fun, or exotic. An early Series 10. Assume it has a good maintenance record and a reputable operator, but isn't itself a historic airframe (e.g., not the first one off the production line).
Old Sep 28, 2016, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by OTD
Would in a second. Flew on a B-17 a few years ago. Awesome.
Aluminum Overcast?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 1:48 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Aluminum Overcast?
The Liberty Belle
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:18 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
My question is: would these really be parked at the gate? Doesn't seem ideal since modern tugs aren't really suited to taildraggers. So I probably wouldn't notice until I've been bussed to the aircraft, at which case you don't have much of a choice anyways.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:05 pm

Flew on them... jumped out of them.... (freefall not static line)

I think you'll find nearly all of us have flown on C-47s rather than DC-3s... based simply on numbers built...(600 DC-3s... 16000C47s/Dakotas....)

Nimrod1965..Did you fly on a Nimrod by any chance? Super jealous if you did..... the succesful variant of the Comet!^

As far as FT preferences goes... I think you'd have to look at the DST variant! (Which actually came FIRST!!!)

14 flat beds! Douglas Sleeper Transport

As far as I can find out New York to California in the 30s took 12 1/2 hours and cost $100...for a sleeper....

Last edited by trooper; Sep 28, 2016 at 9:25 pm
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:16 pm

i would go but not eat before

sounds like a trip.....would go for fun of it if can fly over atlantic would for sure....not as good as we have now been on 747 and a330 a380 would like have spare engine but well we go on 777 soon
Old Sep 29, 2016, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by stablemate
sounds like a trip.....would go for fun of it if can fly over atlantic would for sure...
DC-3 range was 1,500 miles/2,400 km. It could cross the Atlantic with stops in Newfoundland, Greenland and Iceland, or perhaps other routes involving South America and Africa, but that was never (as far as I know) done as a standard commercial operating procedure. There were longer-range planes around by the late 1930s.

C-47s could have additional fuel tanks strapped to the inside to increase their range, but that was mostly for ferry operations. I can't imagine commercial passengers being OK with that.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pinniped
Let's make it more interesting: how about a 50-year-old DC-9? Not nearly as rare, fun, or exotic. An early Series 10. Assume it has a good maintenance record and a reputable operator, but isn't itself a historic airframe (e.g., not the first one off the production line).
That's just like flying Northwest again. In 2009 I flew a NW DC-9-30 from EWR-DTW that was built in 1969. What's another ten years?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
Having flown the DC3 on the old Provincetown-Boston Airways BOS-PVC, I would do it again <inserting my Boston accent heah> in a hahtbeat
Yes, I did this flight many years ago and it absolutely was a beautiful trip. I was pretty young and didn't understand the novelty of the plane but did find it curious and the sights up to BOS were wonderful
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by halfcape
Yes, I did this flight many years ago and it absolutely was a beautiful trip. I was pretty young and didn't understand the novelty of the plane but did find it curious and the sights up to BOS were wonderful
My dad's company was a PBA vendor during the early 80s, and a flight pass was part of the deal. As such, I logged many dc3 flights between HYA and BOS. It was a cool plane, but I always tried to select YS11 flights. Their Martin 404s were also pretty nice for the 30 minute flight. The Cessna 402s weren't nearly as glamorous. However, the upside to them was that I got to sit in the co-pilot seat, and fly the plane (when I was the only passenger).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.