Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is traveling international flights getting cheaper?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

I've been noticing international airfares from US to Asia, Europe, and South American getting cheaper the last 2 years, if i can recall those flights use to go over at least $1500 R/T coach. I'm not getting richer, so is it due to overcapacity and/or/both slowing economies of other nations? I'm not complaining, just very interested on the causes of lower air fares internationally.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
Maybe the decline in fuel costs is helping too. We got a DFW/PEK November flight for like $850. I've paid nearly that much for a flight to North Dakota just a few years ago...
Old Sep 22, 2016, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigOrangeTerp
Maybe the decline in fuel costs is helping too. We got a DFW/PEK November flight for like $850. I've paid nearly that much for a flight to North Dakota just a few years ago...
Yes, those US domestic flights has not gotten any cheaper on the legacy carriers.
I recently seen a Air China flight in OCT from JFK to HKG for $560, WOW
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
First off, fares rocketed several years ago and have merely declined towards the old levels.

Second, the mergers amongst US airlines has reduced competition but, if anything, there are more foreign airlines flying to the USA than before.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 5:32 pm

the lack of competition keeps prices up

in usa not many carriers low cost but international price has gone down fill them seats we just got lax cdg on air france for 782 non stop never thought could get to paris for under 1 k
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
JFK-PVG-NRT RT sub 600. Seems 'cheap' to me. ATL-SFO RT is 400+ easily.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:26 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Well, the question is specifically asked about flights to/from US. They got slightly cheaper on average across seasons, but one needs to take into consideration rising dollar value towards other currencies.

In other words, if you paid for your tickets in Euros/Pounds/Yens, than for these currencies nominal value would be the same or drop no more than 5-10%.

There are also cases when new routes are opened and airline sells tickets on these routes on reduced prices to attract customers. UA and SQ introduced non-stop service SIN-SFO and one could buy tickets in Y for $800 R/T. But now they are running usual $1200-$1400.

If one expends the question about whole international market, than I do not think anybody can answer without data on hand.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
International travel between major markets ie North America-Europe-Middle East-East Asia-Australia/NZ is very competitive.

Certain markets lacking competition, such as intra-Latin America and intra-Africa and increasingly, the US domestic market, are seeing higher prices.

Internationally, the collapse in oil prices (in literal dollar terms and adjusted for inflation) and the aggressive rise of ME and Asian carriers is doing wonders for the market. I'd argue that it's a golden age to have free time, a sense of adventure, and a bit of cash.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Lately some European LCC's have been competitively breaking into the US market. Norwegian for example. I got a flight from LAX to CPH for 600ish dollars last year. Not bad..except Norwegian is unpleasant to fly. Buy cheap, get cheap.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

With the lower International Airfares, I can leisure travel internationally twice a year now =)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.