Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What was airline travel in the 80's like?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What was airline travel in the 80's like?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by OldVines
Visiting the flight deck was common on Long-Haul BA through this period, especially if you were a child or travelling with one. Just ask the flight attendant and a few minutes later the captain would be chatting away to you and showing you how all the controls worked and what did. Great fun for children of all ages.
And they would leave the cockpit door wide open for large parts of the flight. And the Captain would make sure to take some time strolling back and forth through First Class, chatting to the passengers there. (Actually the "visit from the Captain" was one thing that distinguished BA F from J back then, the seats not being all that different).

Innocent times.....
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by AlastairGordon
The smoking situation was horrible.
My first flight to US was in 1998 from Russia on IL-86. Smoking was allowed until plane entered US airspace. Almost half of the cabin was chain-smoking and they almost rioted when it was announced that smoking is not allowed any more.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Josh1780
I personally think it's a very good thing that you must have a ticket to go through security nowadays. I'm sure it worked in the past due to less people flying, but with how crowded airports are today it would probably turn most airports into complete zoos, which many already are.
I saw them restrict access to the gates to passengers only a few times around the holidays in the late 80s/early 90s at DTW. It would get so crowded with people at the gates and the security lines got really long with 4 family members per passenger that it was causing trouble with people missing flights. We always went through security at the airport hotel where there were never more than a few people in line.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
Flight attendants gave out pin-on wings to children (and big kids who asked nicely!).
I recently found a bunch of mine-- TWA, Eastern, Piedmont-- from the early/mid-80s. I also have a massive pin that announced me as an unaccompanied minor on Eastern because I was going to Space Camp (!)

I have the haziest of memories being on, I think, a 747 to Hawaii in 1977 (or maybe 1978). In my memory, the plane was empty. I remember the stewardesses giving me playing cards and other games. It was awesome.

Flying as a kid in the 70s and 80s was just fun.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:06 am
Suspended

The whole airport experience was different then too. Remember banks of payphones everywhere? And of course, the crazy long lines to get a phone sometimes.

Airport retail was nowhere near the levels it is today. Back then the shops and restaurants in airports were run by the airport..there were cafeterias and so-so bars and the odd store. Now groups like Paradies and HMS control most of the airport retail in the US and much of Europe and the shop in MCO is exactly the same as the shop in PHX or anywhere else. Major restaurant chains have also jockeyed for dominance in Airports..now you can go to a Chili's, Macaroni Grill etc etc in most airports. In the 80's a chain like Burger King or McDonalds being in an airport would have been a big deal. It's par for the course now, as McDonalds and Burger King compete for airport exclusivity.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1MM, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by travelmad478
:

How is it that I am the first person to say this: Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna! (The wrinklies among us will know what I mean here.)
Just watch the movie Airplane! (Released in 1980!) and it will give you the full traveling experience of those times.

PP
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been frequent flying since the early 80s. I remember round-trip coach between LAX and JFK being around $300.

I once did a special promotion on TWA that got me 2 free F-class tickets (!!!) if I flew 6 segments in one month. Instead of doing my usual non-stop transcon, I flew LAX to PHX to STL to JFK and the same thing back again and earned my free tickets.

I used one of the tickets on my next transcon. F was amazing then. I was given a menu with 4 or 5 choices. I ordered the rack of lamb (!). The FA asked me how I wanted it cooked. I was surprised and said, "You can do that?" She said, "Yes, we have a chef in the downstairs galley." I had a delicious multi-course meal, served on china. Afterwards, the FAs came around with a serving cart and made sundaes to order, with a choice of hot chocolate or caramel sauce.

At the time, F on TWA got you into the lounge. It was spacious and usually nearly empty. Drinks were free. Boarding would be announced.

Also during the 80s, a friend tipped me to a certain ticket agent. You would slip a $100 into the ticket folder (remember those?) and say, "Any chance I can get a better a seat?" He would come back in a few moments and that economy coach ticket was magically transmuted into a first class ticket, usually round trip!

IFE was pretty much a joke -- a projected movie that the whole plane watched. There was a continuous film loop that went through the entire plane, so each screen was a little behind the screen in the section behind it. Audio consisted of four or five channels. You plugged in a tube-like pair of headphones that looked like a stethoscope. Audio quality was, needless to say, poor. I'd note, though, that I had been pioneering personal IFE since the 70s, when I brought on board a bulky, battery-operated cassette player and a pair of regular, bulky headphones. I got strange looks, but I got to listen to music of my choice.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
As a small child I flew to Europe from the US with my family several times in the 80s. The best part was getting the kids kit with the wings, coloring books featuring plane scenes, and other goodies. The worst part was the time we got seated in the smoking section at the back of the plane on a KLM flight-- my parents tried to get us moved but no luck.

I flew cross country a lot in the 1990s for college. In retrospect those flights were pretty good-- I don't recall them ever being very crowded. You could definitely get out of a window seat and go to the bathroom without making everyone in the row stand up. At that point I had never been in first class so I wouldn't have known what I was missing, but overall the experience of being in economy wasn't luxurious but wasn't physically stressful the way it is now. These days whenever I have to fly coach I am shocked by how many downright dangerous or uncomfortable things happen, from passengers yelling at each other to people who infringe space in your seat (due to how tiny the seats are) to equipment like lavs being out of order. Even Domestic F seats are often too small to get out of to use the lav without bothering the other person.

I recently had a flight on Aeromexico in Mexico that gave me a flashback to what flying was like in the US pre 9-11. The flight was about 1/3 full, so there were empty seats everywhere (everyone had an an empty seat next to them). Everyone on the flight was relaxed and serene. The flight attendants served beer and tequila for free in economy. There was like, no stress at all. The whole flight I felt like a time traveler, reveling in this experience of what flying used to be like.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
One decade later than 80s - add couple of data points about late 90s:

- I had number of flights SFO-JFK in 2000. Plane was half empty and meal served twice.
- Sorry, no intention to offend, but FAs were in average lot younger and slimmer.
- Last booth at SFO trying to sell/give you some kind of religious literature was removed in 1999, IIRC.

I could also give some insights what air travel looked like in 80s in Soviet Union, but I think for majority of current forum readers it would sound like tales from another planet.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by invisible

I could also give some insights what air travel looked like in 80s in Soviet Union, but I think for majority of current forum readers it would sound like tales from another planet.
I already started a thread for you - please tell!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...l#post27243902
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by invisible
Do tell.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by chrisl137
I saw them restrict access to the gates to passengers only a few times around the holidays in the late 80s/early 90s at DTW. It would get so crowded with people at the gates and the security lines got really long with 4 family members per passenger that it was causing trouble with people missing flights. We always went through security at the airport hotel where there were never more than a few people in line.
That may have been due to the First Gulf War when security was briefly heightened.

From my vague recollections:
  • Flight attendants on international flights had the opportunity to spend more time with passengers even in economy.
  • Flights to/from the Indian subcontinent required a refueling stop (e.g., Doha for London and Frankfurt for JFK).

Last edited by Sant; Sep 21, 2016 at 2:51 pm
Old Sep 21, 2016, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
Airline deregulation in 1978 meant some flights got cheaper and others got more expensive. There were more airlines, but they did not all compete against each other. So, just like today, prices depended how the level of competition and the level of demand and the frequency of service.
Several things happened. Since the prices were no longer set by the CAB, they floated. On routes where there was competition the prices fell, sometimes dramatically. Complicated fare structures were introduced being careful to make sure that people traveling on business still paid premium prices. Carriers like People Express formed to grab the traffic on lucrative routes. Many cites that had enjoyed good service at reasonable prices became horribly expensive. Of course, this drove down the loads and, in some cases, ended service all together. Hub and spoke replaced the older route structures and airlines came and went almost overnight; Braniff more than once.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Sometime in the mid-70s or thereabouts, before it began commercial flights, the Concorde did a sort of tour of the world. I remember when it came to my hometown, it was an EVENT. People went to the airport to watch it land, and to catch a glimpse of the future of avionics, if only from afar.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:18 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by aerosexual
Hopefully this is the right place to post. I hear people deplore current air travel and I can't say I blame them. 9/11 shook the American psyche and upended American air travel and by proxy, the world's. I wasn't even born in the 80s so my perception of that time period is mostly informed from snippets of Home Alone and Less Than Zero. Yes, really. I've done some googling on my part but did not find much so where better to turn to than here? To those who remember "the good old days," how was it different? From frequent flyer miles to smoking to in flight meals to flight attendants...what was it like?
Haven't read the thread, but just going to jump in an share my thoughts as a retired 35 year airline employee. It was AWESOME. No problem finding seats so lots and lots of fun day trips. A 45 min. flight CLT-PIT full hot breakfast. Myself & others would fly "just to eat" lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.