Search

If you could stock an Airline lounge...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2016, 5:40 am

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
Fresh brewed unsweetened iced tea
Old Sep 9, 2016, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good cheese, ideally a few staples, and a few interesting local varieties. Some fresh breads, crackers, olives and nuts, and some decent wines to choose from and I am set. I rarely want a full on meal in a lounge, but it is nice to nibble as I read a book, watch a TV show, etc.

Would love some outdoor space, 24+ hours of travel through climate controlled airports, planes etc. can really get to you. Would adore an outdoor pool in places that the climate allows (I travel down south each year, and the 2-3 hours doing nothing in the airport is so boring, give me a pool, a lounger and my book and let me extend my vacation by a couple of hours!)

I would also love nap rooms - I've got a couple of fairly long travel days coming up, 5 hour layovers, not enough time to go to a hotel and come back, but if I could get a silent, dark nap room, I could easily get 3-4 hours sleep which would make me sooooo happy!
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by emma69
Would adore an outdoor pool in places that the climate allows (I travel down south each year, and the 2-3 hours doing nothing in the airport is so boring, give me a pool, a lounger and my book and let me extend my vacation by a couple of hours!)
OK, this suggestion wins the thread so far.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 11:04 am

Nothing to be charged for. US lounges are insulting - you pay a lot for a membership (for a service that every other airline provides without extra charge with a premium ticket) and then you have to keep paying.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by pinniped
It's a good question: would the lounge's liquor license permit such a thing? Given our puritanical approach to alcohol, I'm not optimistic...

I've seen the occasional self-serve "honor bar" in a U.S. hotel lounge, but never in an airport. I'm not familiar enough with the nuances of liquor licenses to know whether a hotel is somehow (legally) different.
The LH Lounge in Detroit is self serve, so its possible.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
So are the LH lounges at IAD if I recall correctly.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
Yogurt raisins are awful. They look like they might be yogurt almonds and disappoint when revealed to be raisins! A good way to have a snack that gets little use and saves money though.
It's like when raisins impersonate chocolate chips in cookies. Just pisses me off
Old Sep 9, 2016, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
So are the LH lounges at IAD if I recall correctly.
They used to be but sadly are no longer (not surprising because the airport is in VA). They had to add a bar that's staffed now (at least the SEN/*G part of the lounge not sure about downstairs).

I'd like to see more regional / craft whisky/bourbon/scotch instead if just Jack Daniels and JWBlack/Red

I'd also like to see more made to order sandwich options. I'd love to be able to get a nice Caprese with chicken on a crusty baguette for lunchtime.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 2:49 am

i think it's more important to have tasty food which can be cooked fresh quickly instead of food kept in warmers for long periods of time
Old Sep 10, 2016, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Peterpack
i think it's more important to have tasty food which can be cooked fresh quickly instead of food kept in warmers for long periods of time
+1. Finnair Lounges especially the Schengen one always disgusting hot options.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Air Canada lounge in YYZ International T1 was serve yourself alcohol last time I was in there a while back.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:54 am

I'd charge for everything you want/buy in there, "airport" rates.
Your employers paying for business flights can also pay for that.

haha
Old Sep 10, 2016, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by emma69
Air Canada lounge in YYZ International T1 was serve yourself alcohol last time I was in there a while back.
A DL Sky Club at DTW has a self service bar.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: BA: Silver, Etihad: Silver
My ideal lounge would feature a Starbucks or similar cafe, for your coffees, iced drinks and a selection of sandwiches and cakes. There would be a Pizza Hut hatch, where you can obtain 1 large slice of pizza at a time, if that takes your fancy.

I tend to only snack or eat light in the lounge, so the above would be fine. I would put on a buffet for those who also want to eat, it would have whatever standard items people would eat in the area of the airport, plus a weekly change of some other International dish. E.g. one time some Indian food, another time some Turkish - so there is always something different for those regulars.

The bar would be manned, I don't mind serving myself but it feels more special if someone is serving you, and if cocktails are your thing they can always surprise you with something and whip it up in a flash. Spirits selection, just ensure you have the most popular brands and one premium of each spirit. So for gin for example, you'd stock Gordons, Bombay Sapphire plus one more premium one such as Monkey 47. Beer wise, I am always disappointed with the selection, so I would serve one domestic and one premium as the staple for the lounge, and two guest beer / craft beers which change monthly. E.g. one month you get Sierra Nevada, another month you get Stone Brewery.

Finally not for me, as I am not a sweets person, I would have a little candy counter which has 8 containers, each containing a different candy, e.g. some boiled, some chewy, some branded chocolate. People can use a scoop, to scoop it into a small candy store bag. Cheap, nice touch, keep the punters happy.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 10:36 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I'd convert the former smoking rooms into a zone full of Bengal kittens. To play with, not to eat. Feed them the leftover smoked fish from the upgraded breakfast buffet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.