Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best way to transport a suit unwrinkled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2016, 6:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I'm flying out for a job interview soon.

In the past, I've only attended stuff that required dressing up in my home city.

I'd like to make a good impression, so I'm thinking about how to make sure my suit doesn't get wrinkled. (It's dry clean only, so I don't think ironing is an option?)

Anyways, if any FTers have advice I'd appreciate it.

(I'm leaning towards just packing a second dress shirt that can be ironed on site and wearing it through security)
Old Aug 28, 2016, 7:09 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Carry on in a garment bag or suit carrier.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 8:31 am

Programs: AY+
On luggage, try instructions from youtube, "how to carry a suit"
Or on top of you inside the plane

In some cases the garment bag might be too big for carry on sizes
Old Aug 28, 2016, 10:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
Carry on in a garment bag or suit carrier.
But wouldn't you still need to fold it to fit in the overhead?
Old Aug 28, 2016, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
not if you're lucky enough to be on a plane with a closet (and -- presuming you're not traveling in F -- if you can very nicely persuade the FA to let you hang it there)

alternatively, if the overhead bins are long enough, it IS possible to place a garment bag flat (or reasonably so) on top of the rollaboards and other articles therein
Old Aug 28, 2016, 7:50 pm

Here is what I do when I travel short haul for business. Usually in economy.

I wear one suit. I have an identical suit packed in my luggage. Odds are between the one I'm wearing and the one I've got packed, there will be something approrpriate to wear.

Another option is to FedEx to your hotel. Pack a suit in a comfortably big box, lots of padding. It will cost you a fortune, but if you're flying to an interview it might be worth it.

Chuck
Old Aug 28, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
sure you can iron. most hotels in the U.S. at least provide an ironing board and iron. a light touch will get the wrinkles out. or you can hang clothes in the bathroom and run a bath/shower. sometimes hanging clothes overnight is sufficient. on my longer trips, i often bring 4-5 dress slacks and corresponding shirts--no matter how you pack, they will get at least a little wrinkled.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by greggarious
But wouldn't you still need to fold it to fit in the overhead?
Originally Posted by jrl767
not if you're lucky enough to be on a plane with a closet (and -- presuming you're not traveling in F -- if you can very nicely persuade the FA to let you hang it there)

alternatively, if the overhead bins are long enough, it IS possible to place a garment bag flat (or reasonably so) on top of the rollaboards and other articles therein
When I got married overseas in my days of economy flying the flight attendants were happy to put my dress (not a huge pouffy one) in a closet at the front of the plane.

You can always say it is your wedding suit if you are worried about it. They might take better care of it if you are in economy. If you are up front they will do anything you want!!

Good luck!

Last edited by Annalisa12; Aug 28, 2016 at 10:27 pm
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:37 am

I've had good luck with flight attendants putting my suit jacket in the plane closet. I think it's underutilized these days.

You might see if your hotel offers pressing service. Full service hotels may even do it in-house. And you could see if there's a cleaner nearby who can press your suit, "while you wait".

http://www.usatoday.com/story/hotelc...-best/1977931/
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

get a big bath towel, and roll the suit in the towel.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
If I only need one suit and it is a short trip, I will usually wear the suit on the flight. When I pack a suit, I will use one of the garment bags that came with, and is sized to, my Titan luggage. I've tried the special folding methods seen on the internet, and they work, but not any better than a garment bag, I think. They are good if you need to fold it real small for a carryon.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: Delta Gold
Purchase one of these. It's small, light and steams very nicely and even comes with a little travel bag.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:22 am

Eagle Creek garment folder. I was prepared to hang it in the hotel bathroom with the shower on hot for steam to release the wrinkles, but it came out wrinkle free.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
From my experience of years of weekly travel: however you transport your suit, get a small spray bottle and lightly spray/mist the suit's wrinkles with water. Leave the suit on its hanger and the wrinkles will go in short order. It's much quicker and easier than hanging in the bathroom with a hot shower running. I also routinely do it for folded slacks and for no-iron shirts which come out of a suitcase with wrinkles. I use the spray at the end of the day, as well, for suits, blazers, etc. It takes out the wrinkles that you get across the back from wearing the jacket while sitting in a chair, wrinkles at the knees, etc.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CKA1
It will cost you a fortune, but if you're flying to an interview it might be worth it.
I flew for an interview a week ago and I took a travel sized steamer with me and steamed my suit in the bathroom. Worked well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.