Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Safest" Hub for February Travel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

"Safest" Hub for February Travel

I'm flying PIT to YVR in February. I have a choice of airlines and routes all involve changing planes at some point. I'm concerned, of course, about winter weather. So I'm asking the community for advice. Which of these hubs would you prefer to change planes in given expected February weather?

ORD, DEN, YYZ, MSP, DTW

Are there other better choices?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by weinstoc
I'm flying PIT to YVR in February. I have a choice of airlines and routes all involve changing planes at some point. I'm concerned, of course, about winter weather. So I'm asking the community for advice. Which of these hubs would you prefer to change planes in given expected February weather?

ORD, DEN, YYZ, MSP, DTW

Are there other better choices?
May as well not even bother including ORD in there!

From the list of hubs, seems you're open to any airline? In my experience, United ops typically fall apart very quickly with winter wx. Maybe you'll have better luck.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:09 pm

Programs: Independent
I am betting you are going to be more likely to have a problem with PIT than at the hubs. MSP, ORD, DTW, and YYZ are all essentially in a line - if a storm hits one, within a matter of hours if not days it will hit the other three. DEN is further south, but dont be fooled, they have problems too. If a storm is bad enough to hit a hub, it will bring EVERYTHING to a halt, not just the hubs.

You might be better off just being flexible and keeping your eye on the weather. Be ready to depart a day earlier, or wait a day.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
from a fair amount of DL experience, while neither MSP nor DTW is immune from February weather, operations at both hubs tend to recover rather well (I don't think that DL operates DTW-YVR, however, so MSP would seem to be a more logical connecting point in terms of minimizing travel time)
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
DEN holds up pretty well considering its location. IME most issues are due to snowballing delays at outstations less able to cope with the weather, which causes ripples through the network.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I'd be more concerned about:

1) not taking the last flight of the day to YVR
2) ideally both flights being operated by the same airline

Personally, I'd probably choose to connect in YYZ.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:22 pm
Suspended

YYZ would be my choice but I have not seen the schedule.

DL and AA don't cooperate when there is a cancelled flight but UA does with DL and AA. However, ORD is not too good a choice.

As far as how nice the airport is, I tend to like YYZ and MSP over DEN and ORD. DTW is ok
Old Aug 28, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Is DFW or IAH an option? Maybe a bit out of the way, but they hardly ever get snow. MSP and DTW can handle snow pretty well. DEN seems to get huge blizzards at times though.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 9:16 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
den is safest, those closures were after RIDICULOUS snowfalls (4+ft snowfalls overnight) and they bounced back fast

yyz and ord are the worst, yyz deice waits are 60-90 minutes. ord gets the most challenging conditions although they recover pretty well, but those challenging conditions happen a lot

yah if you're this worried go thru texas
Old Aug 28, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, million miler
I am very biased as MSP is my hometown airport. We are used to snow, deicing,etc. plus the airport is pretty nice too! ORD can't handle much, even on a clear day!
Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:21 am

Honestly, I wouldn't worry at all about which airport is best now. It all depends on what the weather is like that week, and that's impossible to predict. I've actually had good luck through ORD in the winter -- it can be open when the entire East Coast is closed.

I would just make sure you have a long layover (I'll book 2 - 3 hrs if I can in the winter) and absolutely have all flights on the same airline. Then monitor the weather -- if there's a storm coming through, they will probably issue a travel advisory and let you re-route through unaffected airports.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
I commuted from BOS to MSP for a year, and I was pleasantly suprised with the ability for MSP to handle winter weather. And, they have better food options than DTW should you have a delay. I steer clear of ORD wherever possible. And with MSP, given it's a bigger hub than DTW, you have more options should things really get bad.

My 2 cents.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Dork.
Honestly, I wouldn't worry at all about which airport is best now. It all depends on what the weather is like that week, and that's impossible to predict. I've actually had good luck through ORD in the winter -- it can be open when the entire East Coast is closed.

I would just make sure you have a long layover (I'll book 2 - 3 hrs if I can in the winter) and absolutely have all flights on the same airline. Then monitor the weather -- if there's a storm coming through, they will probably issue a travel advisory and let you re-route through unaffected airports.
I'll add to this ... make sure the airline you book with has interline agreements with at least one other carrier that can get you to YVR in the event anything goes elliptical
Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd pick DL through either DTW or MSP, with both being equally good. To choose between the two, try to pick the larger aircraft.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd pick DL through either DTW or MSP, with both being equally good. To choose between the two, try to pick the larger aircraft.
100% unbiased opinion, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.