Search

Cool Thing to Do With Old Plane Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Cool Thing to Do With Old Plane Tickets

All,

I just cleaned out my old office and found about 300 old airline tickets. I was wondering if anyone had any cool ways to display them, or something else to do with them. Probably 90 % of them are UA tickets, mainly to Houston and Calgary , but there are some pretty cool ones too, like domestic china flights and what not. I also have about 400 old hotel keys I found too, but everyone thinks it makes me look like a pimp, so I'll keep those the way they are.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:12 pm

Tickets (i.E. papertickets) or boarding passes?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Most are boarding passes, but I have a few paper tickets too. Most are the entire boarding pass and not just the stub.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:53 pm

Buy a world map, put in pins for the locations and connect them with threads. Then pin the corresponding ticket and/or boarding passes to the right thread.

This way you could also pin the hotel keys on the map
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I shred them.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Jeannietx
I shred them.
How old school. I just delete them from my Apple Wallet.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:52 pm

Different theme but same idea - a friend took her dad's collection of old (and varied) wine labels and used them as a border in a half bath.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:46 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
I have no idea if there are sealants or something, but long-term exposure to light will eventually fade the thermal printing. Just something to keep in mind when looking into projects.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:07 pm
Suspended

I have a stack of tickets from the 1980's and 1990's. I am afraid to see if the red ink is faded. Most are computer printed on cardboard stock, however.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:08 pm
Suspended

I wonder if it is too late to create a log of flights. I have one with 400 flights from the 1970's and mid 1980's. Then a stack of tickets to the mid-1990's. Then some good memory of flights but fuzzy memory from 1999-2005 maybe.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 4:12 am

Programs: *G
maybe you could glue it all to a hard shell luggage and lacquer or coat them on somehow
Old Aug 26, 2016, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by fassy
Buy a world map, put in pins for the locations and connect them with threads. Then pin the corresponding ticket and/or boarding passes to the right thread.

This way you could also pin the hotel keys on the map
I've been bringing travel ephemera home for years (not my random ORD-LGA boarding passes, but BPs from unusual -- to me -- routes or airlines, tram tickets and pub coasters from obscure places, etc.) and this is exactly what we do -- stick them up surrounding our big world map with pins in it.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 6:52 am

With that many boarding passes you probably have enough to use as wall paper in an office or spare bedroom.
I'd use maps as the base layer (these could be anything from touristy cartoon maps to reproductions of some olde historic ones. Depending on your taste.)
I'd bet the keys make an unusual sound and might make an interesting wind chime....
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:33 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Use them to make paper airplanes and hang them from the ceiling/
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Not jumping to any fast conclusions, trying to imply anything, but too much collecting of less useful stuff, nowadays borders to, or falls within the "hoarding" entity. As I've done that myself, saving not tickets/boarding passes, but hotel key cards, I made them usable for one night, when co-arranging a rather large party. At the entrance, everybody was invited to take a key card, which was the place card for the different dinner tables, as they were named after big hotel chains. Those unused were deposited in plastic recycling container.

As per the question in OP?
I join the shred-it team.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.