Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Getting a job with an airline for travel perks?

Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

So, I'm at a bit of a unique stage in my life, early 30s, used to do oil and gas engineering. Hated the job, long hours, ie had some 70+ hour "days", job had to be prioritized above family/kids/gf etc, but paid amazing. I got laid off about 18 months ago, and I've spent the majority of that time travelling. I'm currently back in YHZ staying with parents.

Combined with frugal living, a few tips from www.mrmoneymustache.com/ and lots of travel deals abetted through here, I'm fairly secure financially.

That said, what do I do now? I'd like to at least have a home base for some things, and have a bit of a community to be involved in, but also really enjoy travelling greatly.

My friend suggested being a baggage handler with Air Canada. Primary for the free flights.

Does any one know how this works? is it unlimited flights? Coupons? An ad on AC said "up to 32 hours a week of work" what sort of flexibility is there, I would likely trying to be minimizing it. Presumably (at least a united FA said this) there's a whole online system to it, taking into account union seniority and all that, so potentially you can get bumped etc.

Has anyone done something like this, looked into it more? Or perhaps people currently on the inside can give a bit more info?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I assume you have an advanced degree in engineering with excellent mathematical background? Why not try data scientist jobs for airlines?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Are you a licensed engineer?

Have you thought about seeking a job with a global company, or at least a really large firm in oil/gas/chemical?

My DH has traveled a ton in Asia on his companies tab, and got to keep all the miles and points that went with the traveling.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Every airline is different as to how non rev travel works. I'm retired and there is very little space these days, so "perks" aren't what people think. Get a job you enjoy.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Yes, professional engineer. My last job was with a F500 Oil service company for 7.5 yrs. Worked/lived in 3 countries. No real set schedule, 24/7/365 availability, literally there were 0 hours in a year where you could reliably tell friends/family you'd be available for something less important than your wedding. My experience with big companies is you are a number, and you exist to get as much out of, for the minimal outlay.

I've travelled all over for work generally always in discount economy, and really don't like it. If I can't at least do things I want (sight see, dive, hiking, meet ppl at hostels) then I don't see the point of spending 24+ hrs sitting on a plane. Additionally, a lot of these grownup jobs don't leave a lot of room for personal travel.

So basically, in the wider scope I suppose I'm looking for a not-to-difficult, low stress, part time job with travel related novelty. Being able to zip off on a whim in F to PVG is novelty. Being forced to work 50 weeks a year and zipping off to Calcutta 6x a year earning miles you'll never have the schedule freedom to use is chains.

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Every airline is different as to how non rev travel works. I'm retired and there is very little space these days, so "perks" aren't what people think. Get a job you enjoy.
I guess therein lay the crux. The vast majority of jobs in my experience are jobs because an average reasonable person would rather be doing something else. I mean, I like doing my own auto repair, I like doing my own plumbing, because I learn something, and it saves money. But when you take money out of it, why would any reasonable person want to spend the better part of a day at a strangers house messing with their toilet.

Last edited by seadog83; Aug 24, 2016 at 7:07 pm
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:02 pm

I have many friends who are airline employees. Almost every one is happy they did it. They took less money than they might otherwise have made and have had a travel-centric lifestyle. I would ask them to comment but 5 of then just left for a bike/barge cruise from Cologne to Amsterdam
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
To some extent, I understand what you're looking for. I have a B.S. in computer science and currently work as a software engineer, but would be highly tempted to work for an airline.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:52 pm

I am not an airline employee, but I have friends who work for Delta and I was a holder of one of their companion passes between 2009-2012, so I have flown alot of non rev in my time. In my case, it really got me hooked on travel, and it allowed me to both fly in business class frequently as well as afford travel at a time in my life when I did not have much money at all (grad school). I have applied for jobs in the past (didnt land any) and I know exactly how you feel. That said, I would offer the following caveats:

1) I have noticed as a previous poster eluded to, space is not what it used to be. I fly now on confirmed tickets, but I still check the monitors esp when flying DAL to harken back to the good old days. It used to be, during the recession there would be plenty of open seats pretty much everywhere if you were willing to be a bit flexible, including in business/first. Within the last few years I have not been seeing nearly the openings I used to in all classes. Granted, I dont have access to the system anymore so I cannot say thats true on all flights, but thats the power of observation. I wouldnt necessarily count on being able to use those bennies as you might have been able to in the past. I notice my friends are traveling alot less than they used to. Might be due to life circumstances but I think lack of seats are a factor.

2) You probably have noticed most airlines are moving toward tiered pricing structures, and in my experience they are also selling more and more first class upgrades at check in. This will reduce your chances of snagging a premium class seat. Since you identified the chance to fly J and F as a consideration I am pointing that out.

3) Keep Seniority in mind. With 1 and 2 being in play, you will be at the bottom of the employee list (but above any companion and buddy passes) when you start out.

4) Many airlines are consolidating routes. I know DAL is cancelling alot of their Asia flights. I am not sure what other airlines policies are, but its not a given employees can jump non rev on other airlines for free. I know its been done (cant do that at all with a companion pass) but Im not sure what strings were pulled.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:58 pm

I grew up a non-rev and I've spent my entire working career on the management side of the airline business. Once I started making enough money (and miles) to afford travel without having to non-rev, I bought "real" tickets instead. Never regretted it. I'd rather fly in a confirmed seat in Economy class than spend hours at the airport waiting for a Business class seat that may never open up.

Standby travel is great when you don't care where you go and when you get there. Ideal for a young'un looking to see the world. When priorities change and you want to get somewhere in particular and a specific time, it becomes a source of frustration rather than a benefit.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Standby travel is great when you don't care where you go and when you get there. Ideal for a young'un looking to see the world. When priorities change and you want to get somewhere in particular and a specific time, it becomes a source of frustration rather than a benefit.
Close friends, ex-employee of a USA airline and partne,r are able to fly non-rev with only minor hassle because of seniority. He very kindly gave us buddy passes for TATL but our lowly status meant they were unusable and even cost us money with associated costs. Now only fly with confirmed seats on airline of choice
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by seadog83

So basically, in the wider scope I suppose I'm looking for a not-to-difficult, low stress, part time job with travel related novelty. Being able to zip off on a whim in F to PVG is novelty. Being forced to work 50 weeks a year and zipping off to Calcutta 6x a year earning miles you'll never have the schedule freedom to use is chains.
Have you thought about contracting? Do a 6 month contract, travel for 6 months, wash, rinse, repeat.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:18 am

Aside from seniority for non-rev travel, you also need to consider seniority when it comes to work schedules. As the new guy/gal, you will probably end up with the worst shifts. I've never worked at an airline; but, I did used to work in hotels. There was a stretch of over a year when I literally worked every holiday and every weekend.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Reading between the lines of the OP's requirements, it appears he wants to have a low stress job with lots of flexibility on working hours and generous perks.

Sadly he needs to prepare himself for disappointment. Manual jobs will certainly be low stress, but he won't get the ability to control his own destiny and he certainly won't get the enjoyment of "learning " anything on the job. Instead he will be bored out of his mind. He needs to remember why parents require bright but potentially lazy kids to work at McDonalds when they are young - in order for them to learn that they need to get a full education and find something more interesting to do.

The OP sounds as if what would suit him best is some form of consultancy role, preferably with far flung clients. Whilst consultancy isn't nirvana and it can be feast or famine, to a certain extent you can control the business flow, all assignments can be interestingly different and, with the right clients, you can travel.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
I've been in oil & gas as an engineer for over thirty years. Travelled to 65 countries and nearly every time taken time out to do some sightseeing.

Try and get into some form of engineering consulting. When clients are desperate to get you to their site to take advantage of your expertise then you are in a position to set your own schedule such that you can also see the country you are visiting.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:01 am

I guess most FTers have good degrees/generally have a good job, but would love to actually work in the airline industry for a while.

I myself have checked through some of those "staff needed" advertisement from airlines/airports. And while I certainly believe that working there would be interesting/fun, once the novelity falls off, it's just a service industry job, with even lower pay than usual.

So, this said, if I could work as an FA for, say, 12 months, then get back to my regular job without problems I'd do it immediately. Probably would even work as Checkin Agent/Gate Agent for some limited time, no matter the small pay.

But just as much as I'd like to do that, I know that working in such a job would seriously damage your chances of getting back into your regular, well-paid job.

And honestly, I prefer to pay my own tickets with my own income, rather than somehow trying to be lucky to get company tickets somewhere, standby (and even having to partially pay for those..)

The great times, when working in the travel industry was exciting, special (as in, you couldn't just travel for a weekend to Singapore with what you earn in 2 days..) and actually decently paid, are well over.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.