Airlines that serve iced tea?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airlines that serve iced tea?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:13 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Don't forget you can also ask for club soda or seltzer water as a non-sugar beverage option. The club soda which Southwest usually gives is rough but I have gotten seltzer on Alaska every time I asked.

Don't go looking for unsweetened iced tea at McDonalds in Canada, or Hong Kong, or Macau, either... you won't find it.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
JAL F has an extremely high end iced tea. I think they only have one bottle per flight. No one else was drinking it, and he happily consumed it all.
I've done exactly that myself, that stuff is fantastic. I found a place that sells it online for about $40 a bottle, http://www2.enekoshop.jp/shop/rbt/it...gory_id=174822. They even have bottles that cost upwards of $200.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:48 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My husband routinely persuades flight attendants to make iced tea for him. Non American FAs are often unfamiliar with the beverage so he carefully asks:

1) Make a hot cup of tea
2) Let it cool a bit
3) pour it over a glass of ice
4) Do not put milk in it

In almost all cases they kindly comply. Sometimes they will bring all the things to make it to him; more often they make it in the galley.

JAL F has an extremely high end iced tea. I think they only have one bottle per flight. No one else was drinking it, and he happily consumed it all.
Yeah that was my first thought when I saw the thread title. The ice tea they serve in JAL F is delicious. Sadly every flight can't have all the great touches of JAL F.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:12 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by Xnuiem
Why on earth do AA and WN NOT have it? They are both Texas based airlines. For that matter, DL, you too being from the deep south.
Maybe because true southerners don't like the corn-syrupy fake-lemony canned stuff! ;-)
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by DCBob
I agree. The best non-carbnonated airline beverage that is healthy for you is tomato juice or bloody mary mix (without vodka). Why not try that and get the benefit of vitamin C and other nutrients without added sugar? I have never understood why so few people drink tomato juice on aircraft. Water is fine as well but has no flavor or nutrients.
I like tomato juice also, but have you ever looked at the sodium content of that stuff? It scares me and I have no need for a sodium restricted diet. At least not yet, anyway.

I'm a big fan of unsweetened iced tea, it just a shame that it is so difficult to find outside the USA.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bakpapier
Ice Tea is just as bad for you as any other soft drink.
Definitely not. Real iced tea, which is made from actual tea leaves and water heated to the correct temperature, is fairly good for you. No sugar, no sodium, no fat, and depending on the type of tea, some level of antioxidants. We consume copious quantities of it here.

I don't drink the stuff that comes in cans. For one thing, the main flavor is can, not tea. Then there are all the polysyllabic ingredients that bear no connection to either "tea" or "water". Genuine cane sugar is fine, but artificial sweetners - No Thanks.

Being just a rare visitor to F, I have learned to do without iced tea while flying.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Being just a rare visitor to F, I have learned to do without iced tea while flying.
The beauty of good stuff is that it's not addictive.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by vanillabean
The beauty of good stuff is that it's not addictive.
What's the opposite of addictive? Repellant? That's how I feel about the high chemical stuff masquerading as iced tea.

And, actually, the good stuff is addictive. You get used to drinking premium teas and there's no going back.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 1:09 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
My husband routinely persuades flight attendants to make iced tea for him. Non American FAs are often unfamiliar with the beverage..
This is very true in my World view. This is why I am surprised to read in the OP that AF wold offer it voluntarily.

Historically, Europeans would drink ice tea, not iced tea. They are very different in taste, sugar amount and sugar type. Sure in recent times, iced tea gained popularity and traction but as stable food on a Euro carrier?
Old Aug 28, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by 1kBill
I like tomato juice also, but have you ever looked at the sodium content of that stuff? It scares me and I have no need for a sodium restricted diet. At least not yet, anyway.

I'm a big fan of unsweetened iced tea, it just a shame that it is so difficult to find outside the USA.
If you think that the tow-matter juice is sodium laden, check out the Bloody Mary mix. Codfish could be cured for indefinite storage at room temp by over-night soaking.

You're right about iced tea, and for me only the fresh brewed traditional version works. Sweetened? I can only think of a single acceptable variant...Made as my grandmother taught me, and still applicable....Coarse black tea in the pot, near-boiling water, steeped for a while 'til cool, then poured over plenty of ice (w/extra on hand) into large glasses in which a modest spoon of sugar has been muddled with fresh mint and a generous curl of lemon peel.

There's a grand excuse for an outdoor faucet which drips. It's the mint bed just below. In hot climates, the condensate drain from the AC serves well, but dry winters can damage next year's crop.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by weero
This is very true in my World view. This is why I am surprised to read in the OP that AF wold offer it voluntarily.

Historically, Europeans would drink ice tea, not iced tea. They are very different in taste, sugar amount and sugar type. Sure in recent times, iced tea gained popularity and traction but as stable food on a Euro carrier?
AF serves Nestea, at least in J.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by RunningforMiles
AF serves Nestea, at least in J.
Which after the separation from Coco Cola is still mostly ice tea, isn't it?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by weero

At near 77, having spent most of my life in venues in which ice/iced tea is offered at brunch, lunch, dinner, "tea time", supper, and often on hand for breakfast, your claim that there's some formulary difference between "ice" tea and "iced" tea can best be described as male bovine excrement.

Across the semi-civilized belt of the South, even beyond the Permian Pasin and up on the Caprock (and in some California enclaves settled by Okies et al), at home or in dining establishments, one calls for "Izetee", and hopes that the server responds "sweetened or unsweetened?"

Why, in Jawja, I've known folks who adulterated it with a dose of Moonshine.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:20 am

Location: A place where I have just enough status to want more, but can't afford it!
Programs: National EE, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Lufthansa (at least in J) served bottled Nestea Iced Tea that was delicious. From what I remember, there wasn't any High Fructose Corn Syrup and I think most (if not all) of the ingredients were natural, unlike the American version of bottled/canned iced teas.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by TMOliver
At near 77, having spent most of my life in venues in which ice/iced tea is offered at brunch, lunch, dinner, "tea time", supper, and often on hand for breakfast, your claim that there's some formulary difference between "ice" tea and "iced" tea can best be described as male bovine excrement.

Across the semi-civilized belt of the South..
America- and South centric reductionism. Hence att 77, you don't lack experience but still perspective.

See e.g. post #44 .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.