Taking a seat that is in the same class but not ''yours'' in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking a seat that is in the same class but not ''yours'' in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
In practice, nobody's going to mind moving around in E-. FA's aren't going to know or care whether 29A once had a price tag on it (or was once reserved for elites) and 30A didn't. The biggest limitation to moving is practical - flights are almost always full - but if the opportunity presents itself, go for it. I've never asked an FA's permission to "spread out a little" when the back of the plane is lightly loaded.

Exit row is an exception: FA's are supposed to brief you and confirm you meet the criteria for sitting there. So I'd certainly ask them before moving into an exit row, especially if they've already done the exit row briefing for the people already there.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 5:30 pm

I tend to be slightly annoyed when I have paid for first or emergency row, have the luck to have the whole row to myself and find a snatcher grabbing one of the seats. I have complained about this to FA on two different flights and the snatcher was told to return to his original seat, which was done reluctantly. However, if it is the same class (regular economy), I have no problem at all with the snatcher and have done this myself, usually adding some extra seat width to all involved (moved to an empty row and left my seatmate with the original row for himself).
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:01 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by pinniped
In practice, nobody's going to mind moving around in E-. FA's aren't going to know or care whether 29A once had a price tag on it (or was once reserved for elites) and 30A didn't. The biggest limitation to moving is practical - flights are almost always full - but if the opportunity presents itself, go for it. I've never asked an FA's permission to "spread out a little" when the back of the plane is lightly loaded.

Exit row is an exception: FA's are supposed to brief you and confirm you meet the criteria for sitting there. So I'd certainly ask them before moving into an exit row, especially if they've already done the exit row briefing for the people already there.
Actually, at least on United, the FA's do know (in fact everyone does: the E+ seats have special signs above them). And they're even able to (and often will) charge you for upgrades onboard.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
On B6, I was in an Even More Space row and the whole Even More Space area was pretty empty (Thanksgiving Day). FAs wouldn't let anyone into the Even More Space seats unless they paid (which, as I understand, is SOP and they even announce it on the plane that anyone wanting to move can pay and move).
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by televisor
Actually, at least on United, the FA's do know (in fact everyone does: the E+ seats have special signs above them). And they're even able to (and often will) charge you for upgrades onboard.
True, but I'm not talking about self-upgrading from E- to E+. By now, I think everybody realizes you (generally) can't do that.

I'm talking about moving around within your own section - the 30A to 29A kind of example. That, I've never had an issue with.

I've also never had a practical issue moving around *within* E+, assuming I have an E+ seat to begin with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.