Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Giving up seats to families and/or old people?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Giving up seats to families and/or old people?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by weero
4 rows is 24 people ... what route would that be on? Evacuating some war zone >
Sometimes disabled people have families or friends who travel with them, and sometimes those people would like to sit down during the flight, too.

But we are talking WN here so any unused seats will simply be used by other passengers.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by theddo
Sometimes disabled people have families or friends who travel with them, and sometimes those people would like to sit down during the flight, too.
Was anyone suggesting they stand?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by rbwpi
Was anyone suggesting they stand?
Hahahahahaha. That was funny.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by theddo
One of them can even sit right next to the them.
But we are talking WN here so any unused seats will simply be used by other passengers.
So they are not reserved?
You loudly demand the status quo?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by PTravel
I'm sorry, but I stand by my position: It is not my responsibility to inconvenience myself for someone else's problem. You can ask. Just be prepared to take, "no" for an answer. Your argument is, first last and always, with the airline, not with other passengers. That said, I will consider the reason for a request. I will always help out in an emergency, or for the elderly or infirm, or for a family traveling for an emergency.

Please note, too, that "equal for equal" is in the eye of the person being asked, not the person asking for the swap. All airline seats are not created equal and different people have different reasons for preferring certain seats. You are not in a position to judge.

As for GAs and FAs contributing to the drama, I agree. They should enforce seating assignments, rather taking the "squeaky wheel get's greased" approach.
(bolding mine)

Exactly.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by weero
The sulking aside, she acted entirely reasonable. You got the card and yes, one person per passenger in need is enough.
Yes, as I mentioned in my post, I understand the reason for the WN rule of one person per passenger, But in this case it was one additional person who was an elderly lady. WN didn't have to be so militant in enforcing the rule. Next time, I will just have MIL get her own preboard card. And by the way, reasonableness aside, her actions regarding the card were just silly - I was right in front of her waiting and held the card for all of five minutes just to hand it right back to her. Maybe she did it for the cameras.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:34 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
..But in this case it was one additional person who was an elderly lady. WN didn't have to be so militant in enforcing the rule. Next time, I will just have MIL get her own preboard card...
Is she eligible for one? If yes, why didn't you get one? I may be wrong but it looks as if you blame the GA for your omissions.
..her actions regarding the card were just silly - I was right in front of her waiting and held the card for all of five minutes just to hand it right back to her. Maybe she did it for the cameras.
I don't know the protocol. Maybe yes, maybe she felt 'tested'.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:21 pm
GDL

Programs: VB, UA, AM
Was on SFO-EWR midnight flight: was kindly asked to swap seats by a lady who wanted to sit next to her daughter. We exchanged seats that were of equal value to me: E+ window for E+ window. I haven't even settled into my new seat when again I am asked to swap seats so that two friends can sit together. I refused the seat swap into a E- middle seat and this lady just goes off the rails, threatens to be loud and disruptive during flight if I don't swap with the friend. FA came to rescue by stating that if she really wanted to sit by her friend that she would have to give up her E+ for that of someone in E-. Thankfully the FA and I had similar reasoning: seat swap for equal or better seat according to the person being requested.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GDL
Was on SFO-EWR midnight flight: was kindly asked to swap seats by a lady who wanted to sit next to her daughter. We exchanged seats that were of equal value to me: E+ window for E+ window. I haven't even settled into my new seat when again I am asked to swap seats so that two friends can sit together. I refused the seat swap into a E- middle seat and this lady just goes off the rails, threatens to be loud and disruptive during flight if I don't swap with the friend. FA came to rescue by stating that if she really wanted to sit by her friend that she would have to give up her E+ for that of someone in E-. Thankfully the FA and I had similar reasoning: seat swap for equal or better seat according to the person being requested.
And what the the lady finally do? Move to E- or be separated from her friend? To me, that's always the most telling part of the genuineness of their reasoning.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GDL
I never understand why this conversation doesn't go like this:

"Can you swap with my friend, so we can sit together?"
"Where is she?"
"In a middle seat on the last row in front of the lavs."
"Uh, no I don't think so. But I'm sure the person sitting next to her will be happy to swap with you so you can sit with your friend."

After that, what's really left to say?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 4:09 pm

On a recent flight I was on in F there was a dad with his ~8 year old daughter asked if I was willing to switch with either her (4A) or him (4E) so they could sit together. I would have gladly swapped my window seat for hers except they were actually in the row behind me. The guy in 4F readily agreed to swap her when he asked. It was kind of nice to see someone not only politely ask if someone was willing to swap seats but offer the person he was asking to swap their choice of seats.

I guess for me whether or not I swap seats or even consider swapping depends on three things.

1. Cop an attitude or if you have the guts to settle yourself into my seat before at least having the decency to ask it's an instant no unless I happen to be in Y and you're offering me your J or F seat.

2. What seat you're offering me. I generally prefer a window seat but I'd have no problems switching to an aisle provided it isn't in a worse location (i.e. back of the bus or by the the lavs/galley). If it's a middle seat you can forget it unless it's in a better cabin.

3. Length of flight. If it's a short <90 minute hop I may consider a less than ideal (for me) swap if you're really nice about it and I'm in a generous mood but otherwise it's a no.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by GDL
People are so messed up. Did the lady move?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Ugh. Indeed.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...l#post23424392
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:35 am
GDL

Originally Posted by HofstraJet
And what the the lady finally do? Move to E- or be separated from her friend? To me, that's always the most telling part of the genuineness of their reasoning.
She refused to give up her E+ seat because she said it was an "obvious downgrade" hahaha. So it was okay for me to downgrade but not for her!
She tried being a bit loud towards me but I just put in some Macks silicone earplugs AND my Bose qc35: couldn't hear much of anything she was saying. She settled down and got lost within her book after 20 minutes or so.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:36 am
GDL

Originally Posted by rickg523
I never understand why this conversation doesn't go like this:

"Can you swap with my friend, so we can sit together?"
"Where is she?"
"In a middle seat on the last row in front of the lavs."
"Uh, no I don't think so. But I'm sure the person sitting next to her will be happy to swap with you so you can sit with your friend."

After that, what's really left to say?
^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.