Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's the Longest Trip You Have Had, Door To Door?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the Longest Trip You Have Had, Door To Door?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Longest planned flight was NRT-SYD when I had to 'unwind' two tickets, NRT-FRA-SFO-SYD (12h+11.5h+15h flight and 23h+6h layovers, some 67 hours all in. I was very easy on my system AFAIR.

Longest due to irrops was SYD-YVR via AKL and HNL. SYD-AKL-HNL was an easy 11.5h in the air and 6 hours layover on NZ.
Then 16 hours layover ... and then AC had an MX. Booked for 48h later due to space availability. So the layover became a bit less than 64 hours, followed by a 6h flight. Totalling around 87 hours total. Also this trip was more fun than stress.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:07 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Paltry compared to most here, but I knew I was setting off on my longest door to door journey last October, so I used the stopwatch on my phone to keep track. Did it in Y but a lot of it was ground time and I had lounge access so not as bad as it could have been.

Routing was JFK-DOH-SGN with a 7 hour and 37 minute layover in DOH.

From my house to JFK was 1 uber and 3 trains I had it clocked at 3 hours and 44 minutes.

Then a 3 hour and 58 minute wait for the flight at JFK.

11 hours and 25 minutes in the air.

8 hours and 30 minutes in DOH where I met up with my dad coming from Europe.

7 hours and 37 minutes to SGN.

45 minutes and 25 seconds getting my visa and clearing passport control to the curb.

1 hour and 4 minute taxi adventure to our hotel.

37 hours 6 minutes and 53 seconds door to door.

Oh course the next morning we left SGN on our way to PVG and finally FNJ, but the JFK-DOH-SGN was the longest all airport stretch for me.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Paltry compared to most here, but I knew I was setting off on my longest door to door journey last October, so I used the stopwatch on my phone to keep track. Did it in Y but a lot of it was ground time and I had lounge access so not as bad as it could have been.

Routing was JFK-DOH-SGN with a 7 hour and 37 minute layover in DOH.

From my house to JFK was 1 uber and 3 trains I had it clocked at 3 hours and 44 minutes.

Then a 3 hour and 58 minute wait for the flight at JFK.

11 hours and 25 minutes in the air.

8 hours and 30 minutes in DOH where I met up with my dad coming from Europe.

7 hours and 37 minutes to SGN.

45 minutes and 25 seconds getting my visa and clearing passport control to the curb.

1 hour and 4 minute taxi adventure to our hotel.

37 hours 6 minutes and 53 seconds door to door.

Oh course the next morning we left SGN on our way to PVG and finally FNJ, but the JFK-DOH-SGN was the longest all airport stretch for me.
I have thought about using the stopwatch, but couldn't trust myself to remember at all points where i needed to mark it. And of course, battery suckage...not normally a problem with the stopwatch, but running the app that long and who knows? I usually turn my phone off when I fly anyhow. i don't use it for media.

Curious, did you clock the flights as wheels up to wheels down or butt in seat time? Did you clock the airport times as soon as you stepped in the jetway?
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
About 29 hours COK-BOM-FRA-SFO
AI was surprisingly not bad in Y. Then the usual LH excellent in J.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:38 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I have thought about using the stopwatch, but couldn't trust myself to remember at all points where i needed to mark it. And of course, battery suckage...not normally a problem with the stopwatch, but running the app that long and who knows? I usually turn my phone off when I fly anyhow. i don't use it for media.

Curious, did you clock the flights as wheels up to wheels down or butt in seat time? Did you clock the airport times as soon as you stepped in the jetway?
I mean I wouldn't say battery drain was really a problem. I charged my phone at various points in the trip obviously. The times were aircraft door to aircraft door.

I don't normally worry about such statistics, but I knew it was going to be the longest door to door journey I had encountered so I paid a little extra attention to it.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Air: 24 hours AMS-BEL (with layovers in MAD and GRU).
Bus: I regularly go to nuernberg in Germany which is about 12 hours by bus. Although there is also a direct flight there from ams, this flight is above my budget. The train would be a bit shorter but not worth the large price difference with the bus.
Car: from holland all the way to spain (barcelona and madrid) is probably the longest car ride. Maybe 2 days or something? From holland to eastern Poland was also very far though.

Longest time for short distance: crossing a distance of 100 kilometers in the bush bush of northern Brazil cost us about 6 to 8 hours, including having to push the car out of a hole and that sort of thing.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
I once flew MCI-DEN-ORD-WAW-FRA-ADD-DXB-SIN-MNL-ROR-GUM-NRT-LAX-SFO-MCI without leaving airports. Including driving to the airport and back, it was about 111.5 hours.

As far as a one-way non-mileage run goes, I was scheduled to fly MCI-PHX-LAS-LAX-JFK-JNB-MRU (found a cheap flight from NYC to MRU and it was the same price (and more miles) to fly to LA and then transcon than it was to fly straight to NYC to catch up with the fare.) Unfortunately, this was during the huge East Coast blizzard of 2011, so once I got to LAX, my flight was delayed for 7 hours to JFK, and then eventually cancelled. So I spent the night on the bench outside of the Red Carpet Club. In the morning, I was scheduled to fly LAX-ORD-LGA to try to catch up with the flight, but I realized I wasn't going to make it. South African Airways was nice enough to let me attempt to get to IAD instead to catch that flight to South Africa. Unfortunately, once I got to IAD, they cancelled my flight to JNB, so I had to wait until the next day. Then, because I was on the IAD-JNB flight instead of the JFK, I wouldn't make the connection to my flight to MRU, so I stayed the night in JNB also. So, by the time I actually got to Mauritius, I had flown:

MCI-PHX-LAS-LAX-ORD-IAD-JNB-MRU and it had been about 99 hours. That was a rough trip.

Chris
Old Sep 14, 2016, 11:19 pm

PIT - LAX - HNL (my first ever HNL trip) 17 hours

Left my house at 3AM EST. Checked in my Honolulu hotel about 2:30PM HST (8:30PM EST). I don't think I slept on my two flights that day. I flew in and met people at Honolulu and we had dinner around 8PM HST and they were impressed that I was still awake and not feeling any jet lag. I think I finally went to sleep around 11PM HST (5AM EST). Of course I passed out. What a long, strange day.

Jet lag got me on the way back HNL - DFW - PIT. Left hotel about 3PM HST on Friday and arrived home around 2PM EST Saturday. I slept about two-three hours on the HNL-DFW leg though.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:29 pm

About 25 - 26 hours . Did the following several times.

From home to SFO airport - 90 mins.
120 mins wait at airport.
SFO-TPE on China
Only 90 min layover.
TPE-SGN on Vietnam.
90 min to pass immigration and cab ride to the hotel in busy Siagon traffic

I don't wish to do these layovers again. Would much rather split it over 2 days. Someday I will actually get to visit Taipei. I must have been at that airport 6 to 8 times, but never actually got off there.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:05 am

I once did KBP-VIE-MIA-MSY and missed the final leg at MIA, requiring me to wait another 5 hours. (I had a small checked bag, so I now I take that checked bag on the plane.) And since I live about 1-1/2 hours away, the total time from me leaving my place in Kiev to getting to my home in LA was about 29 hours. That was hell for me.

I now travel to LED and it seems that I can get cheap flights via LHR with an overnight, making it worth spending the minimum $70 for place near LHR, with a net away time of only 18 hours, perhaps even 16-1/2 if I get the trip via ATL (which is on the Great Circle route between LHR & MSY, as opposed to DFW), which is not too bad at all. However, for this upcoming trip, I wanted to cash in my Delta FF miles, so it looks like it will be 23 hours away time as I go LED-SVO-JFK-MSY.

Last edited by swampwiz; Sep 21, 2016 at 11:11 am
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
I once flew MCI-DEN-ORD-WAW-FRA-ADD-DXB-SIN-MNL-ROR-GUM-NRT-LAX-SFO-MCI without leaving airports. Including driving to the airport and back, it was about 111.5 hours.
I am impressed.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:28 am

In 2010, we drove a 30 year ambulance from our home town The Hague to New York the Long way. Took us about 9 months. Picked up the car two weeks later in the port of Amsterdam and still have it (and using it weekly).

Flight: 28 hrs from buf-dtw-mci-dtw-ams-bru.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by swampwiz
I am impressed.
Thanks. It was moderately painful, but essentially the gist of it was that I had an Asian vacation I had to bail on early due to family member's health, but I needed the EQMs to requalify for UA *G. So to catch up with with the return MNL-MCI itinerary I had already flown the in-bound flight on, I booked a one way award MCI-MNL and went the long way. Those flights were the only that had last minute availability, and I'm a weirdo, so I said why not. Oh, and it was all in Y.

Chris
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Domestically it was about 42 hours door to door due to a series of unfortunate events. Internationally it was 40+ hours but not nearly as fun a story (ABE-CLT-LAX-NRT-SIN-JNB-VFA).

The domestic trip was booked: ABE-CLT-DFW-ABQ and it wasn't that long. I think it was scheduled to be less then 16 hours door to door.

I ended up flying ABE-CLT-PHX-ORD-ABQ.

How did a 17 hour domestic trip turn into a 42 hour ordeal?

It can best be described as a series of unfortunate events. It takes me an hour or so to get to ABE and I tend to get there an hour early so I can check a bag and relax before the flight. ABE-CLT was uneventful. The flight from CLT-DFW experienced two mechanicals, and a crew time out before being canceled due to DOT tarmac rules since the flight was placed on a ground stop due to weather in DFW.

I was then rebooked on a later flights CLT-DFW-ABQ. The CLT-DFW flight kept getting delayed to the point where I would miss the DFW-ABQ flight.

I was rebooked again, this time CLT-PHX-ABQ with PHX-ABQ the next morning (about 7 hours after I land in PHX).

I get to PHX and the next morning the flight PHX-ABQ gets cancelled, so they reroute me PHX-ORD-DFW-ABQ and the flight to ORD leaves in 30 minutes.

I get through PHX security and run to the gate and fly to ORD, where I have a 15 min connection. (This is an insane connection in ORD and under normal circumstances I wouldn't dream of trying it but this was far from normal circumstances and with just about everything being full I decided to chance it.)

Fortunately, the gates are right next to one another.I go up to the GA and ask them to check my boarding pass to make sure they didn't give away my seat. They didn't and I think I'm good.

The flight ORD-DFW is an extra section and ends up having a mechanical. My connection in DFW is so tight I'm going to miss it.

The ORD GA rebooks me on the non-stop ORD-ABQ. It leaves ontime and I get in to ABQ 37 hours after I leave ABE. After getting into ABQ, I then have a three hour drive to my final destination in NM.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:19 am
LFB

Newcastle (UK) to Fort Dauphin (Madagascar): total c. 56 hours.

Left 08:30 Monday, train to London (to avoid excess baggage fees on domestic flights).
Tube to Heathrow.
Heathrow to Nairobi.
4 hour layover.
Nairobi to Antananarivo, arrive Tuesday late afternoon. Stay over near airport - Air Madagascar so unreliable that you have to allow a night between flights.
Back to airport 5am for 06.30 flight, delayed/rescheduled with no notice to 15:00 (Air Mad = favourite airline ever).
Arrived home in FD at about 16:00 Wednesday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.