Reload this Page >

The value of first class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The value of first class

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:17 pm

i'm 6'3. it's always worth it for me. My passion in life is travel; but i would dread it before because i didnt have the means to fly business/first. now that i can afford it, i enjoy the journey almost as much as the destination!
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Let me offer another upside.

When a flight is cancelled due to mechanical problems or whathave you, holding an F BP can allow you to avoid the huge clusterF at the CS desk and get rebooked by the agents at the lounge. This saves literally hours and frustration.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Let me offer another upside. When a flight is cancelled due to mechanical problems or whathave you, holding an F BP can allow you to avoid the huge clusterF at the CS desk and get rebooked by the agents at the lounge. This saves literally hours and frustration.
Also correct. This is also an argument for having the club credit card even when not travelling in business or first. This only needs to happen once when you are on a tight business trip to make the cost worthwhile. And in the event of IRROPs on an international flight, where it is most important and a delay potentially much more costly, I have seen that you are protected much, much better if you are in business or first than if in economy.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

helps when it is F on good/top airline rather than not great airline

some airlines give top tier status to those prepaying certain amount a year
DL Jet Card has dedicated phone number, can use for commercial flights

commercial passengers using airport VIP services may get help wit IRROPs
Old Aug 13, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
I think the only time I really value upper class seats is when I need to get some sleep before arrival. Even then, it's not enough value for me to want to pay out of pocket. It would be cheaper to arrive a day earlier and just sleep in a nice hotel bed.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:26 pm

I guess I'm still kind of frugal, even if I'd be using miles rather than cash for a premium cabin. For a domestic (USA) flight, or any flight under 10 hours, coach is fine and the "you're getting there at the same time as the premium cabins" applies. Even if it's overnight, I'll usually sleep enough, especially in a window seat.

For a flight of more than 10 hours or if it's a flight with a lot of segments, I'll try to find a saver award ticket in a premium cabin, but I won't be heartbroken if I can't.

When I do a big solo international trip, I actually like to start the trip in coach -- it gets me "in the mood" and it eases me into the feel of my destination, since I'm near a bunch of other people from, or speaking the language of, the place I'm headed to. Then if the trip back is long enough, I might spring for the premium award, which kind of mitigates the sorrow of the trip ending.

When I flew to Madagascar via three overnights (JFK-LHR, LHR-DXB, DXB-NBO), it was definitely worth the miles to go in business, so I could sleep better, use the lounge showers, and be better-rested for my days in each place on the way.

And when I took my girlfriend to Asia, business class was worth it (especially on the old 90K US Airways award) because she doesn't sleep well on planes and we went overnight to ADD and then overnight to BKK and on to NRT.

I'd like to try a super-premium first class (like on Etihad or Emirates or Singapore Suites) just for the experience (as I recently did to try the KE Kosmo 2.0 suite), but I wouldn't say I have to have it every time.

I don't think I'd justify paying cash for a premium cabin, though. A couple thousand dollars, or even a $500 upgrade, is a lot more than I'd pay for the equivalent hours in a nice hotel room.

Seth
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethweinstein
equivalent hours in a nice hotel room
and 2 nights in hotel gets a block of longer than 24 hours

some hotels guarantee 24-hour stays, or longer, or have early checkin / late checkout either guaranteed or if available

i find a lot more value in incredible accommodations (can be expensive, but does not have to be) outside cities

but i understand the perspective of plane travel being 'required' so minimizing discomfort during it. and some spend little time in their hotel room.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:18 am

If your not talking about upgrades to Business or First with points but actually paying money for the tickets, i'm in a situation where i can afford business and first class sometimes

But i do find it hard to justify the extra cost and often will fly economy

The bottom line is even in the very nicest first class, your still stuck in a restricted space for a period of time, yes it's a bit nicer restricted space, but it's not like your getting full body massages with happy endings and watching tv on 100 inch screens with DTS X surround sound. Often your asleep for a large amount of the flight anyway

I just prefer to spend money on nicer hotel rooms/more expensive entertainment options at your chosen destination

If your rich enough that a first class ticket means as much to you as losing 5 cents means to the average person, then fair enough. I'm not quite at that point yet
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Peterpack
If your not talking about upgrades to Business or First with points but actually paying money for the tickets, i'm in a situation where i can afford business and first class sometimes

But i do find it hard to justify the extra cost and often will fly economy

The bottom line is even in the very nicest first class, your still stuck in a restricted space for a period of time, yes it's a bit nicer restricted space, but it's not like your getting full body massages with happy endings and watching tv on 100 inch screens with DTS X surround sound. Often your asleep for a large amount of the flight anyway

I just prefer to spend money on nicer hotel rooms/more expensive entertainment options at your chosen destination

If your rich enough that a first class ticket means as much to you as losing 5 cents means to the average person, then fair enough. I'm not quite at that point yet
Me too, within limits.

I had a 37 hour trip a few weeks back, all booked in Economy +..but when I had the chance to buy F on a segment for 250 dollars, I took it. It was only a 5 hour segment, but on a long trip like that any comfort you can get is worth it.

I will sometimes buy F and J right out of pocket...but it depends on the totality of the trip. I tend not to for domestic under 3 hours though. But that money seems less outrageous the more hours I am facing.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and ~$250 upgrades are becoming more and more common

some examples for me >

when flying as 2 pax in Y where its 3 seats together, have bought extra seat

$1500 per eos airlines all-J after buy one get one free in 2006
amazing, access to quintessentially (dinner at mortons club london)
i dont think there were any super cheap nonstop transatlantic Y then

more than that for Y nonstop transatlantic (should've checked buying miles)

$2200 per domestic transcon F when Y was $1500 per for 2 middle seats

did a walk up booking once, should have asked how much for F upgrade
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Let me offer another upside.

When a flight is cancelled due to mechanical problems or whathave you, holding an F BP can allow you to avoid the huge clusterF at the CS desk and get rebooked by the agents at the lounge. This saves literally hours and frustration.
That's one of the reasons I like to travel up front. Especially if I am long haul on my own.

I have been met at a number of airports as i got off the plane to meet another connection. I had no idea they would do that. The first time through Kuala Lumpur a MH staff member approached us as we were shopping but before we went to the lounge to ask if we were Mr & Mrs Annalisa 12. I said we were and they replied "we saw you arrived but we didn't know where you were so we wanted to show you to the lounge'.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
That's one of the reasons I like to travel up front. Especially if I am long haul on my own.

I have been met at a number of airports as i got off the plane to meet another connection. I had no idea they would do that. The first time through Kuala Lumpur a MH staff member approached us as we were shopping but before we went to the lounge to ask if we were Mr & Mrs Annalisa 12. I said we were and they replied "we saw you arrived but we didn't know where you were so we wanted to show you to the lounge'.
paid VIP services (for commercial pax) can be better/equal at some airports
Old Aug 18, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Velocity Awards
Flying MEL-LHR is a no brainer. Always fly at the pointy end - in new B787-9s at half the price charged by EH, QF, SQ and the like. What airline? Vietnam Airlines. They even give you free accommodation, meals in city restaurants and limo service on long SGN layovers.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jeebus
I think the only time I really value upper class seats is when I need to get some sleep before arrival. Even then, it's not enough value for me to want to pay out of pocket. It would be cheaper to arrive a day earlier and just sleep in a nice hotel bed.
My work travel is almost all international (mostly TATL lately) and corporate policy only allows for travel in Y with very few exceptions - however they will give me a rest day if desired on arrival and an overnight stopover en route if the total flight time is over 14 hours. While I would prefer to be in J, I've actually found the extra day to recover probably does more to get me over jetlag. Plus, it gives me a chance to do some sightseeing

That being said, I still will look for opportunities to fly in a premium cabin when I can, but it's more for the experience and comfort than getting some sleep. And doing all those flights in Y definitely makes me appreciate it more

And I'll agree that I personally would probably never pay for domestic F - for a flight that short, I'm willing to suck it up and save the money.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

when rest day not possible, is policy more flexible?

do any of these policies apply to people involved in super high revenue deals?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.