Wiki Posts
Search

Help - Travel Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Help - Travel Ideas?

Looking for some help here.

My Wife and I are looking to travel in late Dec / Early Jan...originally we were going to go to Australia and NZ, but we are trying to book award travel, specifically Premium seats due to the long travel, and obviously this is a hard trip to get.

Some other Ideas we had were Athens or Germany, but the latter seems like it would be too cold?

Does anyone have any experience with some good places to visit during this timeframe? We are trying to do some international travel specifically out of the US.

Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Germany would most certainly be cold, but the trade-off is not dealing with crowds or lines. I tend to be over every year in January or February, and will be back again this January on a $467 fare.

One thing you should consider is rail travel. You could easily do some of Germany, add on Innsbruck and Salzburg, which can be gorgeous in the winter, or even Vienna. Maybe start in Germany and head home from Austria.

I have quite a substantial photo gallery from both countries linked below.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Shanghai and HK often have premium availability in various programs.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I'd say SE Asia, especially Thailand or Malaysia. It's the best time weather-wise, though also the most crowded. Thailand will still be cheap compared to Australia and New Zealand, though. Lots of cultural and beach possibilities. Malaysia is a wealthier country than Thailand but also very cheap (even cheaper in some areas than Thailand), easy to get around and with much to see, especially if you can get over to the Borneo side.

Other countries in the region except Singapore and Brunei are very interesting in places and cheap, but require more adaptation. Though increasing numbers of people are flying into and out of Siem Reap (Angkor Wat) from Bangkok. That'll only get more and more crowded.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:10 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
It's summer then in South America. BsAs, Patagonia, the Andes, beaches in Chile, Easter Island...

Israel and Jordan, Morocco, Madeira...
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
Germany would most certainly be cold, but the trade-off is not dealing with crowds or lines. I tend to be over every year in January or February, and will be back again this January on a $467 fare.

One thing you should consider is rail travel. You could easily do some of Germany, add on Innsbruck and Salzburg, which can be gorgeous in the winter, or even Vienna. Maybe start in Germany and head home from Austria.

I have quite a substantial photo gallery from both countries linked below.
Wow, thanks everyone for the great suggestions!
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
South Africa is tough to beat. I go there a couple times a year on business and finally went for fun with my fiance.
The exchange rate is ridiculous.
We took a two week holiday last year when the Dollar/Rand exchange rate was only 8/1...now it's closer to 12/1. We made a conscious effort to try to spend $100 on dinner in Cape Town. Couldn't do it. Two bottles of (very good) SA wine, shrimp, ostrich filet, dessert...$87. (The Mint restaurant).
Awesome surf and beaches in Durban, Great White Shark diving in Cape Town, Safari, vineyards, arts village in Swaziland...JoBurg...meh, I could pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.