Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

many foreign airlines fly cargo-only planes, why not UA/AA/DL/etc?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:51 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

Does anyone have some interesting insight / explanation into why (some) foreign airlines operate cargo-dedicated divisions -- or to be more specific cargo-only aircraft -- while none (as far as I know) of the US carriers do this? Is it a profitability question, or restriction from operating?

Clearly US passenger carriers have cargo contracts to various countries, in the holds of passenger flights, but tend not to have any cargo-only versions of planes that they fly just for that purpose.

What's the factors going on here? Thanks!

edit: or if I recall, perhaps Northwest used to operate a cargo-only division with a hub in Anchorage (+ Tokyo?)

Last edited by TA; Jul 28, 2016 at 4:01 am
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
One reason is UA has two global cargo operators in UPS and Fedex. AA/DL/UA also provide cargo services but it is hard to compete with the huge fleet of cargo planes and capacity at UP and Fedex. I don't think there are similar competitions in Singapore, Hong Kong, taiwan, Japan and jurisdictions where passenger alirlines also operate a separate fleet of cargo planes.

In other parts of world, you will see TNT, DHL and others.

Regarding UA, UA also operated a small fleet of three DC-10s cargo planes (converted from passenger planes) in the late 90s. It was an initiative to expand cargo business, but it got discontinued due to competition.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:39 am

Programs: UA 1K
Well, United does have a bunch of flight numbers that represent journeys which they only perform to carry cargo … it just so happens that they're all trucks http://www.unitedcargo.com/ShowFiles...ules/Truck.pdf .
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Northwest operated a separate Northwest Cargo with 747 Freighters. It's main customer was DHL, and when DHL terminated their contract there was no longer a profit to be made operating solely cargo flights. Once DL bought NW, the division was converted to Delta Cargo - providing cargo on their regularly scheduled passenger flights.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
One reason is UA has two global cargo operators in UPS and Fedex. AA/DL/UA also provide cargo services but it is hard to compete with the huge fleet of cargo planes and capacity at UP and Fedex. I don't think there are similar competitions in Singapore, Hong Kong, taiwan, Japan and jurisdictions where passenger alirlines also operate a separate fleet of cargo planes.

Regarding UA, UA also operated a small fleet of three DC-10s cargo planes (converted from passenger planes) in the late 90s. It was an initiative to expand cargo business, but it got discontinued due to competition.
LH has cargo operations in competition with DHL.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Global air cargo demand is slumping and there is a glut of capacity in the market, so it's a profitability issue, mostly.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Air cargo continues to change in terms of demand. Two key factors are some customers have actually changes to ocean freight and a large driver is the intro of the 773, which is flooding the market worldwide with amazing belly space. I'd venture to say LH may be the next to fold, alongside KL/AF.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium

They used to have cargo planes!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:18 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by plc44
They used to have cargo planes!
Thanks for that reminder! Spurred me to find this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ide-cargo.html
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:25 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Moderator Note

As this is a discussion that covers multiple airlines in addition to United, I'll move this thread over to the TravelBuzz forum

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:39 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
AA use to have freighters but I guess that is not the case now.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

I disagree, UPS and Fedex use their planes for their own parcels and have only very limited capacity for "regular" air cargo.
The CEP-companys are no real threat to airlines.

Originally Posted by EWR764
Global air cargo demand is slumping and there is a glut of capacity in the market, so it's a profitability issue, mostly.
That would be my guess also, as to why the legacy carriers don't operate freighters.

Originally Posted by CALMSP
Air cargo continues to change in terms of demand. Two key factors are some customers have actually changes to ocean freight and a large driver is the intro of the 773, which is flooding the market worldwide with amazing belly space. I'd venture to say LH may be the next to fold, alongside KL/AF.
Yes, but there is still need for maindeck capacity between certain markets as well as some dangerous goods, prohibited on PAX flights.
As for LH Cargo, they need to make some major changes - abandoning their freighter services completely might not be a smart move.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
this threat reminds me of Flying Tiger. I miss those beauties.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by CALMSP
One example here is the cargo bellies of AA jets flying to MIA filled with fresh flowers/blooms.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
One example here is the cargo bellies of AA jets flying to MIA filled with fresh flowers/blooms.
I'm not sure what you are trying to poin out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.