Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Good places to buy affordable airplane models (UA, LH, CA, NH CZ and etc)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good places to buy affordable airplane models (UA, LH, CA, NH CZ and etc)?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus Silver
Question Good places to buy affordable airplane models (UA, LH, CA, NH CZ and etc)?

Hi FT,

As an aviation enthusiast who is beginning college, I'm trying to look for models of airplanes that I've flown on to put in my dorm room this fall. I'm mainly looking for the UA 772, 744, and possibly 788 or 764 in current livery (unrelated to topic: also looking for LH A340-300 and 748, CA 77W, NH 788, and CZ A380). As I fly more airlines and planes I will continue to collect.

Do any FTers know of any places where I can buy affordable plane models? (around $20-$30 max would be nice).

Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: DELTA
https://unitedshop.summitmg.com/unit...?dept_id=11000

There are a couple of $20-$30 airplanes.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:47 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Ebay for Herpa 1:500 size models, the high quality solid metal ones? I was going to say they go for average $20, but gosh prices have gone up! $20 is about the minimum nowadays...
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:30 pm

I am collecting 1:500 models and yes, prices have gone up quite a bit over the last couple of years. It doesn't help that there aren't many manufacturers anymore. It's pretty much German Herpa and that's it.

Some of the models you are looking for won't be easy to find in the 1:500 scale, you will probably have much better luck in 1:400 which is more common here in the US. You won't be finding much in your price range though unless you look for used models on eBay.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:16 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
there's this model plane shop in mall of bangkok center that would prob be cheap ... assuming you're making the trek from omaha to bangkok anytime soon
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:34 am

Programs: LH FTL, UA 1K MM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
I have seen shops in Manila offering handmade wooden models.
Those are hand-painted, so you can personalize the colorscheme
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:01 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Although the OP mentions UA airplane models, they also mention other carriers as well so I'll move this over to TravelBuzz with a tread title change to "Good places to buy affordable airplane models (UA, LH, CA, NH CZ and etc)?"

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have bought quite a few from http://www.flightmemory.com/. I am just a user an no affiliation with them.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
What if I want one of those big ones that used to adorn the city ticket offices of yesteryear? Is there a well-known online dealer of those?

I remember someone on FT a few years back had a UA 747 in pretty good condition and was wondering what to do with it. (Or how to fix it up??) My own holy grail would be a TWA L1011 since that was what I flew my first international trips on.

And yeah, I'm guessing these puppies would cost a couple grand in good shape...especially for a rare or iconic airline/type.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I buy mine at www.airlinemuseum.com. I've also built an airport into my bar.
www.flickr.com/photos/magemarq/
Old Jul 27, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
If you want the big models - the ones that are made of resin and tend to be 10 to 15 inches long with a 12 to 15 inch wingspan - those are the pricier models. There's a shop in SAN Diego that carries a lot of them in the $150 to $300 range (each).

Now, if you are the adventurous type, and you want several of rhese, a trip to Asia might be worthwhile. I have about a dozen - each cost me between $20 and $35. I found them in SGN and PVG. If you want smaller die cast planes I got several for under $5 in KUL.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by magemarq
I buy mine at www.airlinemuseum.com. I've also built an airport into my bar.
www.flickr.com/photos/magemarq/
That's really cool!
Where's the bar though?

Edit: I think I see it on IMG_0693.

Last edited by ProleOnParole; Jul 28, 2016 at 1:52 am Reason: found the bar
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
That's really cool!
Where's the bar though?

Edit: I think I see it on IMG_0693.
Who cares?! I would happily hold my drink in my hand for that! That is amazing!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Looks like there's a glass top to the bar that was removed for the photo shoot... That's pretty awesome!!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Bar's in my basement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.