Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Awkward question about traveling (pre-check-in routines)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Awkward question about traveling (pre-check-in routines)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb Awkward question about traveling (pre-check-in routines)

When you fly to some place, be it for business or leisure, and you're heading to the hotel to check in...

Do you first stop by the grocery or convenience store to pick up, at the least, bottled water? (if not also snacks, alcohol, bottled/canned coffee, etc.)

(or you could stop by the store after you've checked in)

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is, do some people just stay in their hotel rooms without having anything to at least drink?

I know some long stay hotels may have bottled water provided by housekeeping or filtered fountains in public spaces, but let's assume you're in a Hampton or Hyatt Place.

I used to travel weekly for work, and I made it a ritual to find a place near the hotel where I would swing by each week to pick up my "basics" for the week. Typically a 12 pack of bottled water, a 6 pack of diet soda or tea, and some light snacks (popcorn, chips, etc). The cost was always reasonable since it was usually a grocery store, and I knew I would finish everything off before I flew out at the end of the week.

Occasionally I would travel with coworkers who would be absolutely puzzled that I made this stop before checking into the hotel. When I would explain what I was doing, it was like a lightbulb went off in their head and they'd eagerly join me inside the store to grab a few things. A few old timers I worked with never caved and waited in the car while I shopped.

So is this an awkward practice? If so, can you explain why?

^
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oddly enough, every hotel I've stayed at in the US had glasses and a sink. I have never wanted snacks in my room - if I'm hungry, I'll go to a restaurant and eat. If I want coffee, I go to Starbucks or the hotel coffee counter. Or use the in-room coffee maker.

There's nothing I need so much when I travel (that I haven't brought with me) that makes me want to take the time to go grocery shopping when I arrive.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Oddly enough, every hotel I've stayed at in the US had glasses and a sink. ...
They tend to have them in most other parts of the world, too. Whenever I've stayed in a place where I wouldn't drink the water, such as Oaxaca, Mexico or parts of India, the hotel has provided an ample supply of drinking water at no charge. I see no reason to spend a dollar on a 99¢ plastic bottle with 1¢ worth of water in it, the latter being the only part of the product I care about.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

depends on travel conditions and schedule

grocery shopping can be great in some regions/countries/cities.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 26, 2016 at 3:07 pm
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:24 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Yes, we stop by a convenience store or a supermarket when we arrive. There is always a time difference which can be 8-10 hours on West coast or Hawai, nothing worse than being wide awake and hungry at midnight. I cant abide powdered or liquid creamer so I usually get some milk for coffee, sweet and salty nut bars, a couple of snacks, water, soda, fruit etc
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:59 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I sometimes shop at grocery stores when I travel, but usually only after I reach my hotel and know what I need to buy. If the hotel upgrades me to a room with breakfast and/or lounge access, then that takes care of it. If I don't have any meals included, then I'll shop for groceries based on whether I find a fridge and/or microwave in the room.

Either way, my first desire on arrival is to get to my room ASAP, unpack my clothes, and take a shower, so grocery shopping is never at the top of my list.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I try to avoid booking hotels that do not offer a supply of potable water.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:47 pm

When did it become necessary to drink water from a bottle, even in countries where the water from the tap is perfectly safe? In general, bottled water is a colossal waste of resources and huge source of unnecessary waste. If you need to drink water from a bottle, bring a <redacted by moderator> empty bottle and fill it up when you get to your hotel.

Last edited by JY1024; Jul 26, 2016 at 7:38 am Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:08 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
We only really travel domestically now and yes, we always stop at some kind of grocery prior to checking into the hotels.

The hotel in Anaheim provides soft drinks, water, snacks and breakfast. Our routine there is to stop at a small place and buy a few other snacks and a lottery ticket.

We always stay at a vacation club place in Orlando (we don't have a membership, just pay the nightly rate) and stop at a Publix and stock up so we have drinks and make breakfast at the unit. After Publix, we stop at a 7-11 and buy a lottery ticket prior to checking in.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:18 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Grocery shopping is a definite to do when I travel - heck I even pack a quick bite in my suitcase if I know I'll be staying in a hotel in the middle of nowhere, checking in late, and dealing with 12hr time differences. It's not that there isn't ever going to be food around me, but I don't need to waste time figuring it out. Sometimes I just need a simple bite to tide over some hunger pangs, and don't really care for a full sit-down meal. I've even bought a frozen pack of edamame from Target if I have a microwave in my hotel room - it's a healthier snack than a Starbucks, fast food or vending machine grab.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
There's "safe to drink" which is different than "tastes pleasant." I make grocery stops anyway as part of my travels (especially in foreign cities), and water is also part of my haul, as are local snacks and beverages.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
There's "safe to drink" which is different than "tastes pleasant."
Some tap water tastes just fine.

London tap water has been rated superior to expensive mineral waters in a blind tasting conducted by some of the most sophisticated drinkers in the country.

At less than 1p a litre, it beat 20 bottled waters, including some which sell for £50 a litre, in the survey conducted by Decanter, the wine drinkers' magazine.

The panel, made up of Masters of Wine, top sommeliers and some of the most experienced palates in the country, voted tap water supplied by Thames Water third equal in a tasting of 24 products.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...aste-test.html
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Some tap water tastes just fine.
I agree. The inverse of that is some tap water tastes terrible. To me, I'd rather have bottled water handy in case the tap water falls into the latter category.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:01 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
I don't like London tap water and I don't care what a "panel of sophisticated drinkers" say.

To get back to the OP, I don't understand why you would go grocery shopping before checking in to your room.

The only reason I might do this is if I have been to the same hotel in the past and know which supermarket I want to hit and exactly what I want to get, and it's on the way to the hotel.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:11 am

Programs: *G
pick up those things from hotel and bill it to work

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.