Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Airport Lounges
Reload this Page >

Is Priority Pass worth the money?

Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Priority Pass website: https://www.prioritypass.com/#

Ongoing FT discussion about Priority Pass benefits offered via Chase credit cards: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...erve-ritz.html

Ongoing FT discussion about Priority Pass benefits offered via American Express Credit Cards: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-benefit.html

Ongoing FT discussion about Priority Pass benefits offered via CitiBank Credit Cards: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...=priority+pass

Entry denied thread (housed in the Citi forum): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...unge-full.html

Entry denied thread, Alaska Board Room lounges. (housed in the Alaska Airlines forum) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...l#post28524751
Print Wikipost

Is Priority Pass worth the money?

Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by deniah
highly variable. enforced lounge by lounge, if its even a rule at all.

as far as guesting, the amex-PP allows guesting - each gets billed 27$ directly to assofiated amex account
Good to know on the guesting part. As far as the variability per lounge, from my experience...

Most'll still scan your BP, including the escape lounge (which in fact gave us 60% airline/airport employee discount, knocking it down to 27 each -hence why it'd be useless in our home airport to still pay a guest fee -after paying hundreds of dollars)

So, generally having a confirmed seat isn't necessary as all it needs is the PNR.

----Rambling... Imagine as if there was a spoiler here, since FT doesn't let us use them for some reason----
Heck, as an example, for the longest time we got free movies on Delta Studio (before 7/1) because we book FWY. And once confirmed the BPs print F on the pass. So, well, Gogo mistook us for being in F and we got to enjoy HBO .
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by deniah
highly variable. enforced lounge by lounge, if its even a rule at all.

as far as guesting, the amex-PP allows guesting - each gets billed 27$ directly to assofiated amex account
Priority Pass terms and conditions:
Admittance to lounges is strictly subject to cardholders and any guests, if permitted, being in possession of a valid flight ticket and travel documents for the same day of travel. Airline, airport and other travel industry employees traveling on reduced-rate tickets may not be eligible for access. Outside the US, flight tickets must be accompanied by a valid boarding pass for a departing flight, i.e. outbound passengers only.
How or whether it is enforced at all will of course vary. If you have a document that looks like a boarding pass but without a seat assignment it's likely fine 99% of the time.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold, National EE
I opted for the AmEx Platinum card for the Centurion Lounge and Priority Pass benefits, plus the $200 airline fees and TSA Pre-Check.

I typically fly from my home port of SJU to SEA through MIA. SJU now only has a Priority Pass lounge, which is decent, particularly for delays. MIA has a full Centurion Lounge in the D Terminal, so it's convenient for my AA flights and I can bring in up to two guests for free - but it can get crowded. (Benefits include free mini manicures and massages.)

SEA has a smaller Centurion Lounge, which I actually like over some of the others, but you are limited to one free guest because it's a smaller lounge. It serves regional beverages, like beers and local sodas. The staff seem more attentive in the smaller location

I've also used the Centurion Lounges in LAS and DWF.

Last weekend I was pleasantly surprised to find a Priority Pass lounge in UVF (St. Lucia) after I learned of a 5 hour mechanical delay - it was a much more enjoyable place to spend the time awaiting the flight, and I brought in one guest for $27 - totally worth it given the long delay. This one wasn't a high end lounge, but it was clean and comfortable with a bartender and light snacks. We were able to bring in food from the food court, which was better than the snacks. The WiFi was abysmal.

Access policy: Centurion Members and Platinum Card Members who receive complimentary access may enter with either up to two guests or immediate family (spouse or domestic partner, and children under 18) at no additional charge. Guest or family access is per Card Member, not per Card. Family and guests may not enter or remain in the lounge unless accompanied in the lounge by the Card Member.

I use an app called Lounge Buddy that tells me what lounges are available within each terminal and the requirements for access - AmEx, Priority Pass, class of service, etc. Priority Pass also has an app.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I'm not sure Priority Pass is worth a whole lot at all. I fly a bunch domestically, and many major US airports either lack a PP lounge, or it's in some inaccessible international terminal.

In the last 4-5 months, I've used it at the Alaska Boardroom at ANC, the Club at SEA, and the Avianca lounge at SJU twice. None of these lounges were worth $27 to get into by any stretch. It was nice to have access, but it's not going to compel me to keep the Prestige next year at all.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by clbasham

I use an app called Lounge Buddy that tells me what lounges are available within each terminal and the requirements for access - AmEx, Priority Pass, class of service, etc. Priority Pass also has an app.
I gotta say, I've had that app for over three months now and I love it. Really has came in handy.. looking at all the lounges I currently can't enter.. (no fault to them however)

BTW, just wondering, why didn't you just get GE? Even if you travel international once in the five years, it's worth it considering you don't even have to pay for it.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Admirals, Accor, HHG, Global Entry
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
I gotta say, I've had that app for over three months now and I love it. Really has came in handy.. looking at all the lounges I currently can't enter.. (no fault to them however)

BTW, just wondering, why didn't you just get GE? Even if you travel international once in the five years, it's worth it considering you don't even have to pay for it.
Originally Posted by clbasham
I opted for the AmEx Platinum card for the Centurion Lounge and Priority Pass benefits, plus the $200 airline fees and TSA Pre-Check.

I typically fly from my home port of SJU to SEA through MIA. SJU now only has a Priority Pass lounge, which is decent, particularly for delays. MIA has a full Centurion Lounge in the D Terminal, so it's convenient for my AA flights and I can bring in up to two guests for free - but it can get crowded. (Benefits include free mini manicures and massages.)

SEA has a smaller Centurion Lounge, which I actually like over some of the others, but you are limited to one free guest because it's a smaller lounge. It serves regional beverages, like beers and local sodas. The staff seem more attentive in the smaller location

I've also used the Centurion Lounges in LAS and DWF.

Last weekend I was pleasantly surprised to find a Priority Pass lounge in UVF (St. Lucia) after I learned of a 5 hour mechanical delay - it was a much more enjoyable place to spend the time awaiting the flight, and I brought in one guest for $27 - totally worth it given the long delay. This one wasn't a high end lounge, but it was clean and comfortable with a bartender and light snacks. We were able to bring in food from the food court, which was better than the snacks. The WiFi was abysmal.

Access policy: Centurion Members and Platinum Card Members who receive complimentary access may enter with either up to two guests or immediate family (spouse or domestic partner, and children under 18) at no additional charge. Guest or family access is per Card Member, not per Card. Family and guests may not enter or remain in the lounge unless accompanied in the lounge by the Card Member.

I had downloaded that a while ago and it just sat in my apps folder untouched along with fifty other things. Good to know.

I most recently got the Citi AAdvantage Executive card. Up to $100 credit towards TTP if you don't have that. 60k miles after spending $5k in 90 days. Fee covers a discounted Admirals Club price (save $50/y.) Burning 240k miles in a EU trip in October and hope to add those other miles. Maybe make two more stops! woot woot.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 8:37 am

I gotta say, I've had that app for over three months now and I love it.
^^^ Bump
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I have the PP app which I like...other than it seems to require a MASSIVE amount of data to just update the new/deleted lounges. (Why isn't this a few kilobytes of text???)

Question: how accurate is Lounge Buddy? When PP does a big round of updates, how long until those show up in Lounge Buddy? (Kind of a weird name for an app, by the way. For someone not expecting to search for airline lounges, it sounds like a very different kind of app. )
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:29 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Now moot

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Jul 28, 2016 at 11:35 am
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
I have the PP app which I like...other than it seems to require a MASSIVE amount of data to just update the new/deleted lounges. (Why isn't this a few kilobytes of text???)
I assume they're downloading the whole database each time, not just changes.

Centurion Lounges don't allow nonrev passengers access until they've been issued a seat assignment, and quite often that makes the lounge access useless since seats aren't often assigned until within a few minutes of boarding starting.

Priority Pass lounges don't really have a reason to discriminate against nonrev passengers, since, as far as I know, they get paid by PP the same no matter whether the passenger is confirmed or not. I could see some lounges restricting access to nonrevs when they're busy, but some lounges do that anyway for all PP members.

Priority Pass via Amex Platinum allows access for the cardholder only. $175 for three additional Platinum Cards allows each additional cardholder to get their own PP membership. Each PP member gets in for free, if they bring in a guest under their membership it's $27 per guest.

Priority Pass via Citi Prestige allows access for the member plus immediate family members or two guests. So if the goal is PP membership, Citi Prestige is more attractive since you can bring in guests or family without having to get them additional cards with additional annual fees, or paying per-entry guest fees.

Beyond PP and Centurion Lounges, Amex Platinum also provides access to Airspace Lounges and Delta SkyClubs, the latter only when flying Delta. I don't know Delta's policy on nonrevs using the SkyClub in conjunction with the Platinum Card.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped

Question: how accurate is Lounge Buddy? When PP does a big round of updates, how long until those show up in Lounge Buddy? (Kind of a weird name for an app, by the way. For someone not expecting to search for airline lounges, it sounds like a very different kind of app. )

I've been using the Loungebuddy app for about a year now and I'd say it's got the best database around for lounges. I've found that they typically add new PP lounges maybe a few days after they've been added to PP website.

The best thing about the app is that it shows you tons of other lounges not in the PP network in case you have other means of getting in, whether thru status or other credit cards (like Amex Platinum). It looks like they also sell access directly thru the app, tho I've never tried booking before.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tpson
I've been using the Loungebuddy app for about a year now and I'd say it's got the best database around for lounges. I've found that they typically add new PP lounges maybe a few days after they've been added to PP website.

The best thing about the app is that it shows you tons of other lounges not in the PP network in case you have other means of getting in, whether thru status or other credit cards (like Amex Platinum). It looks like they also sell access directly thru the app, tho I've never tried booking before.
Yeah, it's also nice how it shows the lounges that are accessible to you as well, including a decent description of their locations and guest policies. As far as booking through the app, I've felt uneasy about it, so I'll generally just go to the individual lounges website to see if they have discounted day passes.

Last edited by TheLifeOfA_NKCM; Jul 27, 2016 at 2:06 pm Reason: to minimize the showoff-ery. :P
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:56 pm

Yeah, it's also nice how it shows the lounges that are accessible to you as well, including a decent description of their locations and guest policies. As far as booking through the app, I've felt uneasy about it, so I'll generally just go to the individual lounges website to see if they have discounted day passes.
Hi @TheLifeOfA_NKCM, thanks for the kind words you shared about LoungeBuddy!

You mentioned that "As far as booking through the app, I've felt uneasy about it, so I'll generally just go to the individual lounges website..." I was wondering if you could elaborate on that a bit? What is it that makes you feel uneasy about booking through the App? We really want to make it a great experience through and through.

I can assure you that your feedback is highly valued.

Thanks,
-Brent
LB, Cofounder

Originally Posted by tpson

Thanks @tpson! We're happy to hear that.

Last edited by EmailKid; Jul 27, 2016 at 7:39 pm Reason: back to back posts
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by loungebuddy
Hi @TheLifeOfA_NKCM, thanks for the kind words you shared about LoungeBuddy!

You mentioned that "As far as booking through the app, I've felt uneasy about it, so I'll generally just go to the individual lounges website..." I was wondering if you could elaborate on that a bit? What is it that makes you feel uneasy about booking through the App? We really want to make it a great experience through and through.

I can assure you that your feedback is highly valued.

Thanks,
-Brent
LB, Cofounder

Thanks @tpson! We're happy to hear that.
Hi Brent, flattered to see that you saw my post. I've just at points been concerned about the legitimacy and safety of purchasing through the app, especially about it successfully getting us into the lounge w/o issue.

However, I'm sure I've just been unreasonably concerned. Just curious, how do purchases through the app work and hook up to the independent lounge's booking system?

Anyhow, it's kinda' funny to think, this was the one time I actually downloaded and don't despise something I saw as a paid endorsement.. So, you're lucky on that part

Wonderful app and great job. Really has been a joy to use.. Now, if only I could actually (right now) get into those lounges!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:21 am

OP,

For me, the Prestige card has been fantastic, even with the recent benefit reductions I will be keeping the card. However, I'm located internationally in Asia, and the lounges here are generally better than the ones back home. That said, I also often travel with my kids, and lounge access has been a HUGE benefit. My wife is obssessed with worrying about the kids eating enough, so she feeds them at every airport we ever go to. Even snacks are fine, as long as they eat so the lounge offerings have always done the trick. With 4 of us, it's a considerable savings for some soft drinks or juices and snacks when we travel.

Value is very personal however, depending on your circumstances. For you, I wouldn't even bother considering the Amex.

Is there a PP lounge in the airports you usually travel through? Obviously, this is the big one. Without the right lounges at the airports, any membership is worthless. Also important, are those lounge offerings adequate?

Do you guys ever fly separately, or with extra friends/relatives? Each AU gets their own PP with the full self plus 2 guest benefit. Thats 6 people total if your spouse is also an AU.

Do you or your guests drink? If you drink alchohol, you will definitely get your money's worth with a free beer now and then (I don't drink).

Do you generally grab a bite to eat, if so are you relatively picky? The lounges near me are really pretty good. Plenty of hot and cold options. However, last time I was back home it was still decent with some sandwiches, veggies, and soup.

Ultimately, I would focus on these things. 100% worth it for me, even if I have to go back to domestic lounges one day I will keep the card. Don't forget the fourth night free benefit for hotels with this card as well, and from what I understand you can still use the airline credit to purchase airline gift cards. Maybe a Christmas gift idea!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.