Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

nary a bus (airports)

nary a bus (airports)

Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:10 am
Original Poster

nary a bus (airports)

I realized I've never taken a bus in all the times going through Singapore Changi airport. But there are almost always buses in other airports (and we all know how much we hate buses).

What are other airports that have no buses?

(I don't think small airports like JOG where you walk to the airplane count)
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:51 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
London City Airport? I always remember walking from plane to terminal.
same for Gibraltar as far as I can remember.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:55 am
yno

Programs: FB, Accor, Marriot
Originally Posted by jahason
London City Airport? I always remember walking from plane to terminal.
same for Gibraltar as far as I can remember.
Lcy uses busses when your plane is parked away from the gates.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm actually increasingly fine with remote stands at about half of the airports I fly through:

-on departure, bus gate areas are usually horrible places, but also usually entail minimal walking
-take the very last bus, and it's likely to be a short bus (with seats)
-on arrival, buses tend to drop off very close to baggage claim (though is often NOT the case at SZX)
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:09 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I realized I've never taken a bus in all the times going through Singapore Changi airport. But there are almost always buses in other airports (and we all know how much we hate buses).

What are other airports that have no buses?
Are you sure SIN airport has no buses for aircraft parked at remote stands? They are probably rarely used though. Likely any larger airport that has the facility to board from remote stands will have buses.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
I'm actually increasingly fine with remote stands at about half of the airports I fly through:

-on departure, bus gate areas are usually horrible places, but also usually entail minimal walking
-take the very last bus, and it's likely to be a short bus (with seats)
-on arrival, buses tend to drop off very close to baggage claim (though is often NOT the case at SZX)
But if you take the last bus you may also board last and have no room for your bags (though that seems more an issue in the US than anywhere else).

I like the fact if you go through the jetbridge you don't have to feel how hot or cold it is outside. And thus can always wear the same clothes regardless of where in the world you are.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:32 am

For me as airliner enthusiast I really love the bus ride for departure on some of the busier and bigger airports like FRA, MUC, CPH or LHR. I hate it for arrivals if I have a connecting flight as even though we touched down on time the 20 minutes bus ride (FRA, I'm looking at you!) can make a substantial difference if you reach your next flight.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:06 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Never been on a bus at the LCC-havens of LTN or STN - where you normally walk to the aircraft anyway, despite the airports' size.

The other extreme was the old DOH, effectively a bus station with planes...
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I agree that buses will often drop you off near passport control, which will often get you there faster, albeit in the middle of a throng. However, the buses at IST are infuriating - and I've never had a jetbridge there. On departure, the bus gate seems to be miles from the lounge - a 20 minute walk from the lounge through the crowds on my last visit. Plus, the arrival bus drops you a long, long walk from passports and security.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
But if you take the last bus you may also board last and have no room for your bags (though that seems more an issue in the US than anywhere else).

I like the fact if you go through the jetbridge you don't have to feel how hot or cold it is outside. And thus can always wear the same clothes regardless of where in the world you are.
I almost always check my bag, particularly if I know my odds of getting a remote stand are high because lugging it up/down the stairs isn't fun, but I have not been on a flight in recent memory that didn't have room in the cabin for it.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:32 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Most (all?) US airports don't have buses to get you from the gate to the plane.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by Palal
Most (all?) US airports don't have buses to get you from the gate to the plane.
The only times I remember using buses in the US has been to turbo props or small jets of regional airlines, I don't think I've ever been on one for a mainline airline.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've flown through many large airports that didn't use buses to board at all. Also have flown through many that did.

Neither situation is particularly unusual.

Maybe the more interesting question would be: what's the smallest airport where you actually had to use a bus to get to the plane? (vs. just walking to it) For me, probably ASW.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by stut
The other extreme was the old DOH, effectively a bus station with planes...
+1

The old DOH was indeed grim.

I haven't yet figured out why every time I fly into FRA we have to be bussed to the terminal.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:08 am
yno

Programs: FB, Accor, Marriot
Originally Posted by pinniped

Maybe the more interesting question would be: what's the smallest airport where you actually had to use a bus to get to the plane? (vs. just walking to it) For me, probably ASW.
MPL... Stuck in the plane for half an hour waiting for a bus for walking 100m in an airport where there are max 3/4 airplanes at the airport at one time

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.