Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What do you think about business class amenity kits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you think about business class amenity kits?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I'd really enjoy a business class service where a basic amenity kit (bag, perhaps earplugs, eyemask and toothbrush) was handed out, and then the crew passed through the aisles with a tray containing other amenities that I could select as desired. That tray could then live in the galley for the remainder of the flight near the midflight snack spread.

That way, the 3% of people who want shoe polish or a shoehorn can have it, and the airline could stock a broader array of useful amenities in a cost-effective fashion.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: Independent
I'm afraid I have never flown on a flight with an amenity kit, so I really can't speak first hand. But I am sure even if they get left behind and the airline itself does not use them, anything safe in them find their way to some use, either by crew or other passengers, charities, or some dollar store somewhere.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll throw this out there - homeless and women's shelters are usually very happy to received unused, sealed items like dental kits, lip balms etc. and they find the bags useful to give people as washbags (maybe not the really slimline style ones).
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:27 pm

I actually got a surprisingly useful fold up brush in a Royal Jordanian amenity kit that's now a solid performer in my travel bag.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Gringa
Amen, Badenoch! I like the amenity kits & the airlines would just love to cut corners one more way to save themselves a few pennies. If you don't like them, don't use them & they will be put out for the next passengers.

I like trying the products, too.
Yup. I like trying new products (and it really is great advertising/product placement for skin care, in my case -- if there is a new to me product that works and I grow fond of it, I will seek it out after my trip). Like others, I would like better dental care (and a good eye mask) in the kits, but I suppose you can't have everything.

Fun fact: One of my LH C-class amenity kits is so sturdy (and such the perfect size and shape), it is what I use to keep all of my chargers, converters, etc. on my bedside table. When we travel, I just make sure nothing is currently charging, unplug anything that is, stick the charger in the bag, and voila! That bag goes into my carry-on.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by simmang
I agree. Grab one if you want one, and don't if you don't.
+1. I have friends who grab them when deplaning through business class if they have been sitting in Y and see a sealed kit sitting around.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:15 pm

When flying F on LH and TG I've snagged the spare Rimowa kits. I've never flown BR J but deplaning from Y I've always kept an eye out for anything leftover. No guilt or shame.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:00 am

Programs: QF CL
Even this Baghoarder got over hoarding amenity kits sometime early in 1997 .

I use the sleeper suits on the plane but never take them with me.

Likewise the kits. Like probably many here I carry my own kit with the products I'll actually use in-flight, like individual eye drops, facial cleansing wipes (seriously, does anyone use the facial cleanser in the kits?), my own lip balm, my own moisturiser. I have a silk eye mask because the synthetic ones are so uncomfortable. I carry a small vial of a lavender oil-based product that is relaxing when it's time to sleep.

The only thing I use reliably is the toothbrush and toothpaste (and then only because they are to hand), sometimes the socks (although I'd prefer lightweight slippers - kudos to BA First in this respect) and the hand/body cream. If I am going to take a product with me from the kits it is most likely to be a hand/body cream simply because the size is so convenient.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:15 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by Baghoarder
I use the sleeper suits on the plane but never take them with me.
I always take the sleeper suits I keep 'em for holidays in winter time (I live in an equatorial climate, so I don't otherwise have any warm PJ's)
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I love the amenity kits, but I realize some people have no use for them.

I recycle the bags, they have a myriad of uses, especially the zipper ones. The lip balm and lotions are of good quality usually and I use those everyday in my purse. I always rely on them for the flight too. I rely on the toothbrush and toothpaste and I do wish the brush was of a higher quality. I always use the covers for the headphones. I occasionally use the socks but the only things I never use are the ear plugs and the face mask. I dont use an eye mask to sleep - if I did I would rather use my own anyhow for something so close to my face.

Did someone mention shoe polish upthread? That would be horrible on an airplane - it stinks! Just like that person spraying perfume in the next row - torture......
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Gone are the days of great amenity kits, since 9/11 and the loss of the Concorde. I think we got over $200 worth of stuff on the Concorde.

For me the best of the modern kits is on AF La Premiere class.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:44 am

I've always seen the amenity kit as a souvenir from the flight. I personally would be upset to see the kit itself go away in lieu of an offering of items a la carte. For the majority of airlines, they should offer amenity kits packaged the way they are, and you can take one or not.

For the EK/EY/QR/SQ/CX circle, would be innovative and engaging to have a "build your own" amenity kit buffet. Grab the Rimowa/Ferragamo/etc case and pick the items to fill it.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 4:32 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by stimpy
Gone are the days of great amenity kits, since 9/11 and the loss of the Concorde. I think we got over $200 worth of stuff on the Concorde.

For me the best of the modern kits is on AF La Premiere class.
Yep, go into the bathroom and you find a pack of Givenchy for every P pax, take it or leave it. I took it
Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:14 am

On Delta, they seem to be sealed, so I imagine if someone just doesn't pick theirs up, they can simply re-use them. On a recent Air France flight, they went around the aisle and asked people if they want the amenity kit which is also a good solution.

I don't really care about the contents that much but I like the little bags. My significant other loves little bags to store cosmetics and so forth and the amenity kit ones can be quite nice looking.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:17 am

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
I was on an ANA international flight once where they set up a basket filled with every kind of amenity item...toothbrush, earplugs, tissues, candy, snack mix, etc. At first I thought it was cheap of them not to provide an actual kit but thinking of it now it's more convenient to passengers to let them take as much of whatever they want, and not be left with a bag of unwanted things.

BTW, what is with the ANA scent card things? I think they are supposed to help you sleep but I cannot understand how these help anyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.