Wiki Posts
Search

Which countries have immigration pre-clearance in another country

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Which countries have immigration pre-clearance in another country

Was reading another thread on whether Canada is 'abroad' that prompted this question out of curiosity.the ones I can think of are:

US pre-clearance in Canada
US pre-clearance in Ireland
UK pre-clearance in France

France also has pre-clearance in UK. Not sure if Canada has in US.
Do Belgium and UK have pre-clearance facilities at ferry ports?

Any other examples?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:17 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
There is UK pre-clearance at Brussels Eurostar - not sure about Ostend and Zeebrugge. Certainly, the Hoek van Holland to Harwich service involves clearing immigration at Harwich.

(However, there is no Belgium pre-clearance at St Pancras Eurostar, as this is handled by France, as the Brussels trains call first at Lille).

Pre-Schengen, of course, there were many more...

You could argue that there is a temporary pre-clearance for Sweden at Kastrup station, although this is more a pre-check on behalf of the railway, than a formal immigration check.

IIRC, there is also US pre-clearance in the UAE, Bahamas, Bermuda and Aruba.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/...s/preclearance

Looks like can add US pre-clearance at Abu Dhabi to the list, and then this completes all US facilities abroad.

Looks like there are more to be added:
https://skift.com/2015/06/01/u-s-cus...rance-program/
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I seem to recall preclearance in Hamilton, Bermuda, but it's been a few years. BDA-ORD on United, operating out of domestic terminals at ORD.

Might be some other Caribbean locations for preclearance as well...

I wish other countries had it in the U.S. You'd think there would be enough critical mass to support U.K. or Schengen preclearance in a few different airports.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i wish there were more paid VIP/VVIP services for commercial passengers, including in US
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:33 am

ARN will be have US-Preclearance soon (planned to be implemented between Q4 16 to Q1 17)... not too happy about it though. For US residents or Global Entry holders it means more uncomfortable wait-times in a sterile gate area and the need to arrive at the airport much earlier (both direct or via a connecting flight).
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

will be interesting to see if DUB or AUH can ever integrate their VIP services with it
Old Jul 20, 2016, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
I seem to recall preclearance in Hamilton, Bermuda, but it's been a few years. BDA-ORD on United, operating out of domestic terminals at ORD.

Might be some other Caribbean locations for preclearance as well...

I wish other countries had it in the U.S. You'd think there would be enough critical mass to support U.K. or Schengen preclearance in a few different airports.
Yes US pre-clearance is still in place at BDA, or was a couple of months ago. There's also pre-clearance at NAS.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by stut
Th Certainly, the Hoek van Holland to Harwich service involves clearing immigration at Harwich.

Not sure what you mean here. I'm often on that route and it's not pre-clearance of anything. You show your passport in Harwich to UK control just as you do at any airport here and then again at the Hoek to Dutch officials.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jahason
Was reading another thread on whether Canada is 'abroad' that prompted this question out of curiosity.the ones I can think of are:

US pre-clearance in Canada
US pre-clearance in Ireland
UK pre-clearance in France

France also has pre-clearance in UK. Not sure if Canada has in US.
Do Belgium and UK have pre-clearance facilities at ferry ports?

Any other examples?
I stand to be corrected but I believe pre-clearance between UK-France does not exist for airline travel, though it does for trains (Eurostar) and cross-Channel services (Eurotunnel etc)
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by jahason
Not sure if Canada has in US.
I believe the Canada-US agreement authorizing preclearance authorizes it in both directions but Canada has never exercised that right. Presumably--even though Canada theoretically has the right to do preclearance in the US--if Canada suddenly decided to exercise that right there would still need to be significant negotiation as to precise logistics. US airports aren't currently physically set up to allow this.

I find the US preclearance in Canada to be more useful than it would be in the reverse direction if it existed. The reason is that when I travel between the US and Canada, and have to make a connection, the connecting airport is more commonly in the US than in Canada. Not always but more commonly--often a major US hub like ORD or DFW. Preclearance in Canada means I don't have to worry when making a booking how long to allow at the US connecting airport for clearing customs. In the reverse direction it doesn't matter if the connecting airport is still in the US.

Also note that preclearance is de facto not just preclearance for customs/immigration but also in practice usually amounts to preclearance for airport security too. If you connect at a US airport you don't have to clear airport security a second time. Without preclearance you usually end up outside the secure area after US customs at US airports and so have to go back through security again for the final domestic leg of the journey. With preclearance that step is avoided (at least at a lot of airports) which is a significant advantage also allowing one to make tighter connections.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by lloydah
Not sure what you mean here. I'm often on that route and it's not pre-clearance of anything. You show your passport in Harwich to UK control just as you do at any airport here and then again at the Hoek to Dutch officials.
That's what I mean. Was just trying to compare ferry services from a country other than France.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
will be interesting to see if DUB or AUH can ever integrate their VIP services with it
A post-preclearance lounge has just opened at DUB - see the TR forum.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stut
A post-preclearance lounge has just opened at DUB - see the TR forum.
at DUB, when not flying to US, one can pay for VIP service that is kind of like LH FCT, where there is sedan transfer on tarmac. a surprising number of airports offer tarmac transfers for a fee.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by GadgetGal
I stand to be corrected but I believe pre-clearance between UK-France does not exist for airline travel, though it does for trains (Eurostar) and cross-Channel services (Eurotunnel etc)
Yes, it's for Eurostar and Le Shuttle services.

You should also count BSL if flying from a non-Schengen country and heading to Basel, since the airport is in France but you will clear Swiss formalities in the airport. AFAIK, you can only enter France from GVA if on a domestic flight so I don't think there are any French formalities there, but I could be wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.