"Sully", the movie

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Sully", the movie

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2016, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL PM
Got to see an early screening a few days ago...

Holy crap was that the most stressful 96minutes of film I've ever seen.

Tom Hanks blew the part out of the water (no pun intended!). The flight scenes were some of the most realistic I've ever seen (and IIRC, thy nailed the dialog in the cockpit and with ATC. Spot on with the released recordings and transcripts).

The bit with the NTSB was a bit over dramatized IMO... But other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially as a frequent flier. A must watch when it comes out next week!
Old Sep 2, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'll watch it!
I'll watch it, too. I saw this happening from my office window. I could not believe it. I called 911, but it turned out, hundreds of people had already done so. Meanwhile, all sorts of co-workers from other sides of the building were suddenly packing into our offices (and even the hallways outside), asking "Is it true?" "Can you see it from your office?" "Is there really a plane in the river?" "Did it crash?" "Does it look like everyone is all right?"
Old Sep 3, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Originally Posted by t325
I don't like how this movie seems to drag his name through the mud
Well, it is called Sully.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Yes, I am looking forward to it. It will be very short movie. The movie time is 1 hours and 36 minutes.

We will watch it. We can't wait to watch it. I will tell you.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I'm looking forward to it with the full realization it is a movie not a documentary.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:54 am
Suspended

The news stories showed that the plane landed perfect, nobody really got hurt and they went to the superbowl. I'm not sure how you make an entertaining plot out of that.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ou81two
The news stories showed that the plane landed perfect, nobody really got hurt and they went to the superbowl. I'm not sure how you make an entertaining plot out of that.
Yeah, the whole thing played out way too fast to make a movie out of.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 10:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by t325
Only Hollywood can take a 6 minute real-life event and turn it into a 2 hour movie.

I don't remember there being any controversy around Sully's actions during the investigation, I don't like how this movie seems to drag his name through the mud, I hope he at least had to sign off on the script before using his name.
I remember some question about a DUAL engine failure from a bird strike, although it was not a big deal and the attention was not focused on the crew, but on US Airways. It had no traction and was basically dismissed in a day or so.

I just wish they would stop calling it "A miracle".
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Never under estimate Hollywood's ability to make a movie out of anything! Personally I am not a fan of how quick modern events are becoming movies, and am in no rush to see this one.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
75% on RT, though the positives reviews have many "very good, but..." - sounds like a good but not great movie.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
While of course the movie features the 208 seconds of flight (really well I might add!), it focuses more on the lesser known story of Captain Sullenberger- His history as an air force pilot, how he founded his own company as an air safety consultant (BEFORE this event happened; http://safetyreliability.com ), how he was a very talented glider pilot, etc, and arguably the most qualified out of just about anyone to be piloting that plane when it lost power to both engines.

A central part of its focus is on the aftermath- specifically, the NTSB investigation, and how Sully was being tormented with the question of if he made the right call or not by landing in the Hudson. And indeed, as part of the investigation, simulations repeatedly showed that they could have made it back:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...22482042335978

Anyways, I went into the theater excited to see it but not expecting much (another "Flight" at best, which I also enjoyed watching-- this movie had many similarities but was better done IMO). I was pleasantly surprised. And again, even though I KNEW what was going to happen... those on-the-plane flight scenes were STRESSFUL. Really made me feel like I was actually on that plane. So, job well done!
Old Sep 7, 2016, 1:48 pm

Reading an interview somewhere, Tom Hanks said that Sullenberger had much to do with the script. He said during his first meeting the script draft was covered in Sullenberger's handwritten notes on the margins and covered in post-it notes. I think the NTSB investigation was very "behind the scenes" and so audiences are surprised or skeptical about the dramatization of this part of the story. I would think if the pilot had that much to do with the film, he'd want to get what was important to him correct.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:21 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
Kamalaasaa wins the thread!
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Proudelitist

I just wish they would stop calling it "A miracle".

Yes! Let's reserve that term for airlines getting rid of change fees.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:06 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
I see what you did there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.