Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to international flying

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:39 am
Original Poster

New to international flying

It's been 20 years since I've flown to Europe so I am sure things have changed greatly. I am traveling to Rome on American (direct flight) out of JFK.

I will not be checking any luggage. I am getting TSA PreCheck in a few weeks so I will have that to hopefully ease things a bit. I will print my boarding pass the day before I travel.

Do I simply go through TSA with my carry-on, passport, and ticket or do I have to go through customs, too, or first?

Not sure how this all works. Just heard from a friend traveling to Poland from JFK that it took 1.5 hours to show someone his passport and ticket (have no idea where this was ... ticket counter, maybe, he had luggage) and then another 1.5 hrs. to go through TSA security. He barely made his flight!

Maybe getting to the airport 3 hours ahead is not enough time!
Thanks.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by frankie7
It's been 20 years since I've flown to Europe so I am sure things have changed greatly. I am traveling to Rome on American (direct flight) out of JFK.

I will not be checking any luggage. I am getting TSA PreCheck in a few weeks so I will have that to hopefully ease things a bit. I will print my boarding pass the day before I travel.

Do I simply go through TSA with my carry-on, passport, and ticket or do I have to go through customs, too, or first?

Not sure how this all works. Just heard from a friend traveling to Poland from JFK that it took 1.5 hours to show someone his passport and ticket (have no idea where this was ... ticket counter, maybe, he had luggage) and then another 1.5 hrs. to go through TSA security. He barely made his flight!

Thanks.
AA will have to be satisfied you have the documents you need before they'll let you get on the plane, so you'll have to show your passport in order to check in. Depending on your nationality, you could need an appropriate visa, too. (You don't if you're American.)

The US has no exit immigration, so clearing security and convincing AA you're entitled to enter Italy is all you have to do at JFK.

You'll have to pass through Italian immigration and customs in Rome. Depending on the crowds, this could take anywhere from ten minutes to an hour or more.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Oh and if you are going to be travelling more often internationally, forget about pre and just go for Global Entry. You'll get pre for free and will breeze through customs and immigration, all for $15 more.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by timfountain
Oh and if you are going to be travelling more often internationally, forget about pre and just go for Global Entry. You'll get pre for free and will breeze through customs and immigration, all for $15 more.
If you qualify and can make it to an interview point then I strongly agree with this. Even for one trip it may save you a lot of time!
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Just heard from a friend traveling to Poland from JFK that it took 1.5 hours to show someone his passport and ticket (have no idea where this was ... ticket counter, maybe, he had luggage) and then another 1.5 hrs. to go through TSA security. He barely made his flight!

This is plausible on a very bad day. The economy check-in counter could be that long. If you can check in before you get to the airport and either print your boarding pass, or have it on your mobile device, and you have no checked bags (all of which you say you plan to do), then you can skip this line and head directly for TSA security. If you have PreCheck by then, even better. That's the only line you'll have to deal with, other than boarding at the gate.

The general guidance for international flights is to arrive 3 hours prior to departure. It's usually not needed, but as was the case in your friend's situation, sometimes it is.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold

Thanks.
No Customs when you exit the US. Since you have PreCheck, 3 hours is plenty of time. Unless you're flying Coach. The Airline check-in counter will be your bottle neck. Since you don't have check-in bags you can probably go to a shorter counter.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:14 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I suspect your friend traveling from Poland to JFK spent 1.5 hours in line at JFK immigration to enter the USA - this is not uncommon. Then another 1.5 hours to go through TSA for a connecting flight? Also quite possible.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
It's been 20 years since I've flown to Europe so I am sure things have changed greatly. I am traveling to Rome on American (direct flight) out of JFK. I will not be checking any luggage. I am getting TSA PreCheck in a few weeks so I will have that to hopefully ease things a bit. I will print my boarding pass the day before I travel. Do I simply go through TSA with my carry-on, passport, and ticket or do I have to go through customs, too, or first? Not sure how this all works. Just heard from a friend traveling to Poland from JFK that it took 1.5 hours to show someone his passport and ticket (have no idea where this was ... ticket counter, maybe, he had luggage) and then another 1.5 hrs. to go through TSA security. He barely made his flight! Maybe getting to the airport 3 hours ahead is not enough time! Thanks.
You can't print a valid international boarding pass at home because AA needs to check your documents (your passport if from the US). The reason for the check is that if the Italians in Rome refused to admit you, AA would be forced to fly you back to the US immediately (they would also pay a significant fine).

Did you buy the ticket on aa.com?

When you are approved for precheck, you will be issued a KTN (known traveler number). As soon as you have that number, call AA to have them add the KTN to the record. A number of days before the flight, AA sends the info to the TSA. If everything checks out, your AA boarding pass will have the magic words "TSA PRECHECK". Without those words, you must use the regular line.

I say get to the airport sooner rather than later. International flights often start boarding at T-45 minutes, and as you have a carry-on, you will want to board as soon as allowed in order to secure space for your bag.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

New to International Flying

I spoke with an American airlines person and they said that I could print my boarding pass at home when I check in online. Yes I did buy from aa.com. She knew I was flying to Rome so does she not know the rule about someone looking at our passport?

So, if I understand you correctly, I need to go to the ticket counter at American, even though I am not checking a bag, and get my boarding pass there because someone must see my passport? They would then issue me my boarding pass?

Can this be done at a kiosk instead? Isn't there always an employee around the kiosks to show my passport?

(I am flying business class so if I have to "check in" in order to get my valid boarding pass this may help speed things up.)

Wish I had gone for the Global Entry rather than the TSA PreCheck ... darn!
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
I spoke with an American airlines person and they said that I could print my boarding pass at home when I check in online. Yes I did buy from aa.com. She knew I was flying to Rome so does she not know the rule about someone looking at our passport?

So, if I understand you correctly, I need to go to the ticket counter at American, even though I am not checking a bag, and get my boarding pass there because someone must see my passport? They would then issue me my boarding pass?

Can this be done at a kiosk instead? Isn't there always an employee around the kiosks to show my passport?

(I am flying business class so if I have to "check in" in order to get my valid boarding pass this may help speed things up.)

Wish I had gone for the Global Entry rather than the TSA PreCheck ... darn!
The rule about somebody seeing your passport doesn't necessarily apply to everybody. If you'd previously flown internationally recently enough with American, they'd have a scan of your passport on file and you'd be able to check in online; clearly, this doesn't apply to your case, and that could be the source of confusion.

My advice to you is to not worry too much. The recommended check-in time for international flights is two hours in advance, and since you're flying up front, you'll almost certainly face lines that are significantly shorter than most, whether for a kiosk or to talk to a person.

For the sake of this particular flight, the only part of your departure experience that differs at all from flying domestically is the need to scan your passport at check-in. Well, that and having access to the Admirals Club.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
OK, so now that we know you are in biz, you can check in at the biz counter - much faster than the general line.

If for some reason your KTN is delayed, there should be a premium line (still have to remove shoes etc). When you get the KTN, put it in your aa.com profile -there is a specific space for it.

GE is meaningless on the way out, it saves time when you return. The reason people say pay the extra $15 is that GE enrollment automatically enrolls you in precheck. The only downside to GE enrollment is the need for a scheduled interview at an airport.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
The kiosk will scan your passport and that is usually enough.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MADPhil
The kiosk will scan your passport and that is usually enough.
If the boarding pass says "Documents OK", you are good to go. If not, go to biz check in.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
If for some reason your KTN is delayed, there should be a premium line (still have to remove shoes etc). When you get the KTN, put it in your aa.com profile -there is a specific space for it.

Not just in your aa.com profile, but the OP needs to specifically go in and update his reservation with it. Just putting it into the profile won't update existing reservations.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wrp96
Not just in your aa.com -profile, but the OP needs to specifically go in and update his reservation with it. Just putting it into the profile won't update existing reservations.
Yes, mentioned in post #8 - but additional reminders are a good thing. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.