New to international flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to international flying

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
I recently flew back to the US via Heathrow after checking in on my phone, so AA hadn't checked my passport before I boarded. All that happened was that the gate agent got some beeps after scanning my boarding pass and checked my passport details herself. Only took about fifteen seconds.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:12 am
Original Poster

New to International flying

Good to know.

And thank you everyone!
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...ar-service.jsp
would get you access to F checkin and more

you could still apply for global entry, and if approved try walk-in interview
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The first time I used Global Entry was at IAH. Massive crowd in the regular queues - no idea how long they were taking. GE had me all the way through in literally around three minutes. It was worth $15 for that one use. (I've used it a few other times when the crowds weren't huge, but still...a pleasant time-saver.)

When I did my interview, I selected the first appointment time of the morning at JFK. Reasonably painless process.

For a J traveler with no bags on AA, you will likely find yourself airside within 15 minutes of entering the check-in counter area. This counts the 2 minutes you may need to spend interacting with a kiosk if you cannot OLCI.

Of course, that shouldn't stop you from erring on the conservative side and arriving plenty early. That way you'll have no stress due to traffic or a suboptimal train connection...and you'll just chill out in the lounge if everything goes well.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
You'll be happy to know that the US doesn't have exit controls.

However, you probably won't be too ecstatic on the lines when you get back from the US. Depending on what time you arrive back in the US & other flights coming in, you may be waiting quite a while.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by pinniped
The first time I used Global Entry was at IAH. Massive crowd in the regular queues - no idea how long they were taking. GE had me all the way through in literally around three minutes. It was worth $15 for that one use. (I've used it a few other times when the crowds weren't huge, but still...a pleasant time-saver.)

When I did my interview, I selected the first appointment time of the morning at JFK. Reasonably painless process.

For a J traveler with no bags on AA, you will likely find yourself airside within 15 minutes of entering the check-in counter area. This counts the 2 minutes you may need to spend interacting with a kiosk if you cannot OLCI.

Of course, that shouldn't stop you from erring on the conservative side and arriving plenty early. That way you'll have no stress due to traffic or a suboptimal train connection...and you'll just chill out in the lounge if everything goes well.
GE is $15? Sign me up....
Old Jul 4, 2016, 4:16 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by timfountain
GE is $15? Sign me up....
Yes - if you are paying $85 for Pre-Check anyway then it is only $15 more

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.