Wiki Posts
Search

Finding aircraft types for

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Question Finding aircraft types for

OCD meets Avgeek meets excel geek question here...

Like many on FT I keep track of my flights, aircraft type, reg, miles earned etc... with increasing detail.

I'm trying to backfill some data dating back to as far as 2008 (for now).

So: any tips on where/how to find aircraft type on a particular flight that far back?

e.g. what aircraft type flew DL 72 (JFK-IST) in late 2008? Or CX 919 HKG-MNL? Or AA 1876 (MIA-LGA)?

I have a general idea for some (e.g. DL 72 was a 767 as far as I remember, but what type?), but how can I find out for sure?

Thanks in advance.

Mods: clicked post too fast. Please change title to: "Finding aircraft types for flights as far back as 2008"
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA GS
I'm also curious how to do this.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
FlightAware has some historical info ... if you're a member, you can buy data back to 1998
Old Jun 27, 2016, 3:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
For the US travel it is relatively easy to extract these data from the statistics section of the Department of Transportation.

http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/ri...ion/index.html

For international, it will be next to impossible to go back more than a few years, though there a lot of private websites that track individual routes and airports.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
FlightAware has some historical info ... if you're a member, you can buy data back to 1998
Thanks for the tip!

I'm an unpaid member (do contribute ADS-B feed) but all I get offered is to buy a history for a specific flight (e.g. DAL72). Even then, I can't actually find a way to complete a purchase. Am I missing something?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
For the US travel it is relatively easy to extract these data from the statistics section of the Department of Transportation.

http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/ri...ion/index.html

For international, it will be next to impossible to go back more than a few years, though there a lot of private websites that track individual routes and airports.
Thanks for the tip. Very useful.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 5:45 am

The OAG contains this information if you can get your hands on the year and month in question. I have a few years of those books in my garage, but for 2005 and before. I also have one under my bed when I get the urge to see who was flying where in 2002...

Yes, I'm an airplane geek, too. Last weekend at my kid's outdoor school festival I had the Heathrow app open on my iphone so I could track what was flying overhead

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.