Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ever been on a Flight which had to Detour for an emergency ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever been on a Flight which had to Detour for an emergency ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: United, Continental, American, Southwest
Medical Emergency Diversion

On an evening flight from DC to Houston I was sitting on a bulkhead isle behind 1st watching a movie on my I-pad I realized that there was commotion around me. Looking towards the 1st galley I saw several people kneeling over someone lying on the floor. I realized that it was not a passenger but a flight attendant. The flight was diverted to Jackson, MS where we were met buy an ambulance. After the flight attendant was taken off the plane by EMTs, the captain advised the passengers that we would have to deplane because there was no longer a complete crew. Fortunately, there was a restaurant and bar next to our gate so we all waited for an incoming flight with a replacement crew member so the flight could continue. Those of us who missed connections in Houston were fed and provided with a hotel room when we finally arrived. On a different flight several days later I learned that the flight attendant had suffered a heart attack and was recovering.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, Delta Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Hertz Gold
No pressure

I've never been diverted, but I came close.

I was an a DL 747 from the US to NRT. A call went out for medical personnel a couple of hours into the flight. Despite being a rather full plane, the only people who responded were myself (EMT) and an army medic. We got taken up the stairs to the upper deck where there was an obviously sick person.

As we are just finishing up taking some initial vitals, the pilot comes over to tell me that we were over Alaska, and that we were just about to head out over water and will pass the "point of no return". He wanted me to make the decision right now whether he needed to divert the plane.

No pressure!

I looked over at the medic, and we were both on the same page. I told the pilot not to divert, and the passenger eventually started to recover. Nothing serious.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Failed landing

Was flying a short 40 min hop over Lake Michigan from TVC to ORD a few years back on a CRJ-200 on United. The flight out of TVC was late due to incoming aircraft from ORD being late (had something to do with air traffic in Chicago). It was sometime in the evening when we finally left TVC and it was dark and cloudy. There were some turbulence in the air and the FA announced she won't be serving anything "due to weather". When landing in ORD it was raining and I know we were already over the runway when the plane pulled back up full power. No one said anything as to what was the reason of not landing and going for another try. Somehow I kept calm even so I do get a bit tense when flying. After landing and getting out of the plane someone mentioned that it was something on the runway. At least we made it!

In one other instance was flying AMS to DTW on Delta and one Ukrainian lady with a teenage son got sick about half way over the Atlantic. A call for a doctor among the passengers was made and my companion (an internist) went to assist. It was mostly a combination of lack of sleep and anxiety. The woman did not speak any English and only the son knew some. She was pale for the remainder of the flight.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3M), UA1K, and so many others
Smile

Delete

Last edited by jtjackson; Jul 12, 2016 at 9:12 am Reason: Delete
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
MX - 2
Pax illness - 2
Weather - At least a dozen.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:39 pm

I was on a flight that was returned to the gate once....... But after acceleration had initiated and about half the runway on an Aeromexico Embraer 145 (HMO to CJS). The pilot indicated that they had to abort take-off because of a signal and the protocol stated "abort if still possible". We got to the platform again and they indicated it was fixed...... The most scary thing is I personally saw they started fueling the airplane after our return. Tell me whatever, but would it be possible they forgot to refuel the airplane? I just try to not think about what happened or what could have happened!!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by TuaLopez
I was on a flight that was returned to the gate once....... But after acceleration had initiated and about half the runway on an Aeromexico Embraer 145 (HMO to CJS). The pilot indicated that they had to abort take-off because of a signal and the protocol stated "abort if still possible". We got to the platform again and they indicated it was fixed...... The most scary thing is I personally saw they started fueling the airplane after our return. Tell me whatever, but would it be possible they forgot to refuel the airplane? I just try to not think about what happened or what could have happened!!
They had to replace the fuel that had been burned while taxiing and in the aborted takeoff.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes
They had to replace the fuel that had been burned while taxiing and in the aborted takeoff.
Well, it makes sense..... I feel better now!!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC
Flight back from Majorca to Glasgow in April. Diverted to Manchester when someone died on the flight. Was supposed to be home for 22:30, got in at 05:30.

http://travel.aol.co.uk/2016/04/14/p...jorca-glasgow/
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Medical diversion - Frankfurt - diverted Keflavik, Iceland - Los Angeles. A waiting ambulance gave the plane supplies and treated the patient but forced him back on.

Weather diversion - Frankfurt - diverted Newark - JFK. They did not let people off even though the plane was parked at the gate and jetway in EWR. There, it stayed for about 3 hours.

Almost a weather diversion - the flight was going to bypass the US hub at Charlotte to the city I was going to! But they changed their mind. Darn!

----
another family member was one diverted to Pittsburgh due to heavy snow in New York. The same family member was diverted to Glasgow, Montana for refueling on a Europe to US West Coast flight.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 5:10 am

Programs: UA
SFO-ORD, diverted to RFD as there was a tornado in Chicago. Stayed on the ground for around a hour which was probably longer than needed because of some upset pax who wanted to get off at RFD as it was closer to their destination but the FAs wouldn't allow them deplane.

When we got to ORD, all of the flights for the rest of the night had been cancelled so after sorting out new flights for ORD-ROC, we had to sleep in the airport. I was heading to college for the first time as a new freshman so my mom was flying with me on separate tickets. They IDB'ed her while my seat was fine but they promptly changed their minds and gave her seat back after she told them about traveling with me. Good thing it all worked out, the prospect of staying at ROC for a few hours as I waited for her to come in wasn't very appealing. My bags arrived the next day just in time for the move in.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Box10
... family member was diverted to Glasgow, Montana for refueling on a Europe to US West Coast flight.
my sympathies
I spent over a month (3+ weeks and ~10 days) with Boeing Flight Test projects operating from the former Air Force base there (which is a good 25 miles from the one-flashing-traffic-light town itself) ... it's closer to Moose Jaw Saskatchewan than to the largest cities in Montana (Billings and Great Falls)
Old Jul 31, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
NW7 MSP-SEA-NRT 90's Winter

In travel day, MSP was having a bit of a snowstorm as was SEA, so they kept delaying the flight..

Eventually they announced boarding as MSP was sufficiently cleared to go, but SEA was not clear to land, so we may be diverted to YVR!

Anyway some time into the flight round about when I was thinking we should start descending go SEA the pilot announced that they had a problem. Storm not clear at SEA, and unfortunately insufficient fuel to reach the designated alternate airport, so ... We were going to land in Spokane!

N 747 had ever landed their before, and although the runway was no problem.. They did not have refuelling facilities!

So we landed, could not get off and had to sit and watch them refuel by hand!!! Doors open in the freezing weather, not a pleasant experience but a great memory!
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG
I was on this flight https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa...-flight/#page1

It was pure hell. Not to mention the mans death was viewed by a great majority of passengers and was very traumatic. I can't imagine what it would have been like for his family. This was followed by an emergency landing in Bucharest and passengers not being allowed off the plane for 6+ hours with no air conditioning (35+ degrees in the cabin) while all emergency personnel/coroner conducted their investigations.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG
apologies for the random post - wrong sub1

Last edited by chelseajm; Aug 2, 2016 at 11:15 pm Reason: wrong sub

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.