Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ever been on a Flight which had to Detour for an emergency ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever been on a Flight which had to Detour for an emergency ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:19 am

Thumbs up Flight diverted for odd smell

On a Delta flight from ATL to FCO last year, I remember looking out the window and realizing that the sun, which should have been going down behind us, was coming around into view as our 767 was making a nearly imperceptible turn to the right off the east coast of Long Island. Something wasn't right about that picture! We were then told that we were making an unscheduled stop at JFK due to some strange smell in the cabin. A few minutes earlier I had noticed a few crew members, including one of the flight officers, examining one of the overhead bins 3 or 4 rows ahead of my wife and me. Whatever they were looking for, they could not find the source. Our trip to Rome was going to be delayed. By the time we landed at JFK, we were the only flight coming in and a ton of emergency vehicles were standing by on the tarmac, lights a'twirling! I guess they weren't taking any chances with an unknown situation. After a normal landing, taxi and deplaning, we were told that we were going to have to wait for another plane to continue our journey. "Well, that's just great!", we thought. We figured we would be spending the night at JFK. Instead, in about 2 hours, another identical 767 rolled up and we were on our way, no worse for wear. Our flight was uneventful and, except for being a couple of hours late to FCO, it was smooth as silk. We hated to lose the time in Rome but we suppose it was better to be safe than sorry, especially these days. Good job, Delta! We never found out what caused the odd smell (which we never smelled!).
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:54 am

Haven't been diverted so far, but remember reading funny one in media. Anyone were actually on that flight?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...ur-toilet.html
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Delta Gold
My husband and I were on a nonstop Delta flight from PHX to MSP a couple of years ago. About 30 minutes into the flight an announcement was made requesting a doctor or nurse for assistance. Soon a second announcement came over the intercom. I am a retired RN so raised my hand. The FA came over to our seats (3A andC) and looked at my husband ( who had NOT raised his hand) and asked if he was a physician. After ascertaining that my
lawyer/magistrate hubby was of little use in the situation, she asked me to accompany her to row 27. She told me the captain needed to know if they should divert to Denver for a patient maybe having a heart attack so would I please advise. No pressure on me after hearing that!

They had cleared the seats by the woman so I sat with her. She was breathing very rapidly and shallowly, had chest heaviness, tingling in hands, and was very anxious. Long story short, she was hyperventilating. She responded well and I told the FA that we would likely
be ok to go on to MSP. I sat with her for over an hour until she was relaxed enough and had fallen asleep. Then I returned to my seat.
The FA thanked me and said she was authorized to give me a voucher for my services: would I like $25 or $50 or $75? I replied that nothing was necessary and that I was glad it was turning out positively. She said, "no. I will give you a voucher." She soon returned with
a $25 voucher and offered me the snack basket since I had missed my meal.

On landing the captain and co captain offered their sincere thanks, which was very nice.

While there was no expectation of any consideration for the role I played in this drama, my husband and I have had many a chuckle on the value placed on avoiding a flight diversion.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PA38112
Was the FA the stupid one?

U.S. FAR 121.542:
a. No certificate holder shall require, nor may any flight crewmember perform, any duties during a critical phase of flight except those duties required for the safe operation of the aircraft.

[…]

c. For the purposes of this section, critical phases of flight includes all ground operations involving taxi, takeoff and landing, and all other flight operations conducted below 10,000 feet, except cruise flight.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterile_Cockpit_Rule)
Never let facts get in the way of a good complaint.

Seriously, though, good information. Makes sense now why I never hear any announcements from flight crew after the below 10k feet double-ding.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:30 am

Let's see...

AA Embrarer out of LGA, heard a loud "bang!" on the climb. Pilot gets on the PA immediately, says we will be landing shortly and that the plane is operating. Diverted immediately to Stewart, pilot gets back on and says a) as a former military pilot he is well versed in landing at this particular airport and b) don't be alarmed at all the fire trucks, it's just a precaution. Plane was dead silent but pilot and crew handled the situation well and no one panicked openly. Landed without incident and sat for several hours while AA rerouted a new plane in. We were treated to lovely sandwiches from Stewart's finest airport restaurant (a Subway). We were never told the reason for the issue but I would assume bird strike similar to the plane that landed in the Hudson. No complaints; AA handled it well.

AA ORD-LAS run which is never a great flight, lots of very "happy" passengers, but sometimes people get angry drunk and not happy drunk. Passenger warned repeatedly by flight attendants (politely) to calm down but eventually they had to cut him off from the free first class booze and that did not go well. He did not get physically violent but did threaten and so diverted to Des Moines, Sky Marshals took care of it. AA maybe should have been a little more proactive in the Admirals' Club beforehand and/or not let them on flight, though it was a judgment call at the gate. Handled the onboard situation well, though, with passenger assistance/backup.

UA flight to ORD from SFO, forced to land in Kansas City due to ORD weather and short on fuel. "Go find a place to sleep". It's weather so no airline responsibility but they could have been a little more helpful. I slept on a chair.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Not a diversion, but like several previous posts a return to the departure airport: DL from Salt Lake City to Calgary, several years ago, in a 727. We heard a noise something like a bowling ball rolling around in the trunk (boot to you Brits) of a car. Then we noticed that we weren't climbing as fast as usual, then that we were in a long sweeping turn, and finally that we were landing again. Turns out the cargo door wasn't properly secured, so it opened in flight and cut off air to the engine on that side. (In case anyone doesn't remember, 727s had three aft-mounted engines.) No more suction without the engine, so the door closed again, after which the engine restarted, which pulled the door open again, which cut off the engine again, after which the door ... rinse, repeat.

This was the last YYC flight of the day, so there were lots of unhappy passengers who let their displeasure be known. I, on the other hand, was going to Calgary only to meet up with friends who lived there so we could all drive to Edmonton. There was a flight to Edmonton leaving half an hour after I got to the rebooking desk, and I just had a carry-on. I got an upgrade just for being all smiles after the agent had to calm down several DYKWIA types in a row. Even had time to call my friends and tell them to meet me at YEG.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:27 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Back in 2007, I had the pleasure of UA281 OAK-IAD diverting to ORD for a possible pressurization problems and for your reading pleasure, the thread can be found here (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...reat-crew.html) where I'm still amazed that it was 31 minutes from wheels' stop on the diverted flight to pushback on the replacement aircraft ^
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ran low on fuel waiting to land at WAS, had to go to PHL? to refuel, couldnt get off plane or order food

that was a long flight, but still better than the tarmac wait horror stories which i will never understand
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by PA38112
Was the FA the stupid one?
Well, I wouldn't expect a flight attendant to have a nuanced understanding of the regulations. Some will, most won't.

The phrase "except those duties required for the safe operation of the aircraft" is the key.

Below 10,000' we can't make routine announcements but can make announcements in situations where they are required for the safe operation of the aircraft. In other words, announcements related to safety. In an unusual situation, such as a go-around, diversion, unexpected holding, etc., a short annoucement to address the concerns of the passengers would be allowed.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
ORD-SNA

ORD-SNA on a AA 737-800. I Noticed on approach we seemed to level out faily high (over 5,0000 ft) and then fly over the airport and out over the ocean. Then we made a couple of right turns and I figured we were either heading back around to try again or diverting to LAX.

Sure enough, the pilot came on and said we had an indication that the flaps weren't in alignment and that one possibly did not fully extend. Given the short runway at SNA, they determined that diverting to LAX was the best option.

We landed at LAX without incident, even though the fire trucks had been deployed and were waiting for us. We even taxied directly to an open gate.

Then the mayhem ensued, they went ahead and had us disembark. The poor GA of course had no idea what was going to happen next but that wasn't good enough for the passengers. I waited around for about 15 minutes, then just called up the rental car agency and changed my reservation from SNA to LAX. Luckily I only had checked luggage.

Got my car from rental facility and ended up at my Orange County desination only about 2 hours late.

I was pleasantly surprised when AA sent an email less than 12 hours later offering an apology and 10,000 miles.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by cdn1
Was on a AirCanada flight YYZ-FRA in Feb 2015 when our plane had to return to YYZ after 1-hour flying - reason being toilet systems(water) frozen.
Captain said there's no way we can cross the atlantic without washrooms and potable water. People wondered why not land in Montreal and get it fixed, etc.

Caused a delay and a lot of missed connections in FRA. It was a pretty full flight too, but understood the safety issue and people need to use the washrooms so can't be without one for 8-9 hrs.
A similar thing happened to me a few days ago. Was on a flight from LIS to MRS, which is a two hour flight. We were about 30 minutes into the flight when the pilot announced that there was a technical problem with the plane. He never detailed the exact nature of the problem, but said that he could not legally proceed to Marseilles. However the aircraft had too much fuel to land in Lisbon, so we would have to fly around for 45 minutes until the plane was light enough to land.

This he did. When we got back to Lisbon, we were directed to a gate where there was another plane waiting for us. The gate was marked with our flight number with an 'A' suffix. It boards immediately and we left fairly soon. We were only 3 1/2 hours late in all.

A couple of things about that day puzzled me. First, what could the problem have been that would have prevented us from going to Marseilles, but would have allowed us to cruise for 45 minutes before returning to Lisbon? Remember, this was just a two hour flight. Second, where did they come up with another place so quickly?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by pgweiss
First, what could the problem have been that would have prevented us from going to Marseilles, but would have allowed us to cruise for 45 minutes before returning to Lisbon?
Many things.

By staying near your departure airport you were always within minutes of landing if the problem got worse, or another problem developed. Continuing to your destination would have put your farther from a quick landing. It would also have required climbing higher which may not have been possible, or advisable, based on the technical problem.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:52 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Several calls for medical personnel on board, but none that caused a diversion.

But I did have a couple of weather related diversions, funnily enough both during the same trip. First on a EZE-MEX, operated by the now defunct MX. Upon descent in MEX the aircraft starts shaking quite violently and all passengers go eerily silent. When we were just about to touch down we pull up again, which prompts a couple of screams around the cabin. The captain came on the PA and explained we had had to make a go around due to strong winds on surface, and that he would give it another try. After two more go arounds he announces we are diverting to ACA and wait there - onboard the plane - until weather allowed us to land safely in MEX. By the time we made it there many of us had lost our connections and were on our own for the night, since it was a weather related incident.

On the way back, MEX-EZE, there was, as usual, some heavy fog over Ezeiza. That coupled with the lack of an operating radar - don't ask me - made landing impossible. We were diverted to COR until the fog cleared.

There was another incident during which I wished we would have been diverted. AMS-IAH, shortly after take off, and a passenger in business class - lower deck of a 747 - starts screaming 'they' want to kill him. Other passengers are shuffled around to leave the seat beside him open, so an FA sits there and tries to calm him down. The passenger becomes increasingly agitated and violent, and is relocated to the jump seat. Medical assistance is called, medical kit brought in and opened. The passenger then jumps from the seat and continues to scream and try to fight back FAs and other passengers assisting, until four of them tie him down to the floor and put zip ties to his wrists and ankles. He remained in the jump seat for the rest of the flight, screaming every now and then.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 12:41 am

Programs: AA EXP (3M), UA1K, and so many others
I have lost count

delete

Last edited by jtjackson; Jul 12, 2016 at 9:14 am Reason: Delete
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:00 am

Had a flight diverted to Michigan while en route from NYC to Chicago and everyone had to deplane. Passed a body bag on the floor on my way up the aisle. Elderly person had had a heart attack.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.