Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Boarding Music? How does it make you feel?

Boarding Music? How does it make you feel?

Old Jun 30, 2016, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cloudship
@HolidayLoverIn
Hahaha yes it is! how did you guess? Im doing a masters thesis in airlines using sound and smell to influence customer behavior
Smell? Now that is interesting. I know that, for instance, Disney uses smell very successfully in their theme parks. As do some retail outlets. I am curious how you think that could apply to airlines, however. To me it is all about creating a desire or mood, but what kind of scent would you relate to travel?[/QUOTE]

Well, I know singapore airlines incorporate a light perfume into their cabin, aswell as on then clothes of the cabin crew, EVA air also had grapefruit inspired scent on their planes. I also noticed on British airways, before take off, they went around the cabin spraying germ killer, which the smell was pretty unpleasant. Things like this
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:14 am
Suspended

At the time of boarding, if the music plays than I feel good. I like the music so much.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: DL Silver
The only airline were I was bothered by is Norwegian. They kept playing Monument by Robyn and Ryksopp. I'm not sure but something about hearing "This will be my monument,This will be a beacon when I'm gone" didn't sit well with me.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
Etihad has the best boarding music...I don't think I would mind hearing it on a daily basis...the music sounds like you're in Arabia.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 3:04 am

Silence is golden.

However, there is evidence that the right kind of music can make people board or deplane faster, so it could serve some purpose. Some supermarkets or shopping malls use it to either make people shop longer or to tell everyone to sod off at closing time, and it apparently works.

Good luck with your thesis.

Last edited by ProleOnParole; Jul 4, 2016 at 3:22 am
Old Jul 4, 2016, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I noticed on SQ they played music as we were approaching the airport to land.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I noticed on SQ they played music as we were approaching the airport to land.
what kind of music was it?
Old Jul 16, 2016, 11:02 pm

I don't mind the Boarding Music and usually its background Muzak so I really don't care unless its the raunchy hip hop music. I like the calm David Koz,Kenny G, American's views of different places around the world and Easy Listening Music or some nice local music from the country. British Airways usually has good music as does Delta, Air France and Lufthansa. United is OK.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danielonn
I don't mind the Boarding Music and usually its background Muzak so I really don't care unless its the raunchy hip hop music. I like the calm David Koz,Kenny G, American's views of different places around the world and Easy Listening Music or some nice local music from the country. British Airways usually has good music as does Delta, Air France and Lufthansa. United is OK.
Thanks for the feedback!
Old Jul 23, 2016, 4:49 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Peace and quiet are underrated. I don't like boarding music at all.
I fully agree with this sentiment. Airports are so loud & noisy, that I don't want additional sound. I have sufficient trouble hering as it is.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:14 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, Amex
I prefer something without many or all lyrics, but the music is nice.

You do not miss it when it is not there, but when it is there it nicely enhances the experience.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:52 am

I have also flown on EVA airline and the boarding music there is fascinating. The classical strings really give the cabin an ‘’asian’’ feeling which makes me feel really relaxed and calm. It gets me excited for the service I am about to receive and increases my expectations. In terms of volume, it was not too loud, and not too quiet, just enough to listen to peacefully. I feel it also settles the plane down, and creates a calm atmosphere.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 11:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
I was recently on several Icelandair segments. They play music from an Icelandic artist during boarding. The current selection sounded similar to melllow elevator muzak. I didn't mind it and it was the same music for all the segments I boarded so it seemed to add some familiarity to the experience. The IFE screen gave out artist information and the airline offers the cd up for sale, adding to their mandate to promote all things Icelandic. The planes are even named after volcanoes!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.