Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How to look less like an American when travelling

How to look less like an American when travelling

Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:16 am

Jeans don't mark someone as american, it's wearing them with sneakers that is the giveaway.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IMOA
Jeans don't mark someone as american, it's wearing them with sneakers that is the giveaway.
That's not it, either. White sneakers are the giveaway.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 5:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
US Americans are mainly talking very loud and conducting these silly small-talks with other passenger.

Moreover, a lot of older guys wear these pants (kakies?), having a belt with some small bags in it. (like the bags in the belt of a police officer).
Old Jun 20, 2016, 5:07 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
This. There should be fashion police at immigration.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
Or worse - crocs!
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
What a stupid article. If you're afraid of a terrorist attack don't dress like American?

There have been terror attacks or plots of one sort of another in France, Spain, UK, Canada, USA, Mumbai, Kenya, Australia, Bali, Belgium, Egypt, the Philippines, Tunisia and a bunch more that I can't remember. Don't dress like any of them either.

Helpful note to Americans: Parading around with a Maple Leaf is not a good idea in the Basque regions of Spain. They have long memories there and still haven't forgiven us for shooting at their fishing trawlers.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: Delta DM, Lufthansa Miles & More
Honestly, as a foreigner in a country often visited by Americans (Italy), just be yourself, polite and don't raise the volume of you voice in English when speaking to the natives (and yes, I have seen Italians do the same in the US - no, speaking Italian slower and louder will not help the lady in Macys understand you).

The bits about white sneakers or crocs are just basic style. Be comfortable but decent. Again, be polite and don't draw unwanted attention to yourself. It will be fine - Americans are usually liked - they are nice, good tippers and appreciative.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

has nothing to do with jeans/khakis/etc

its all about the cut/style of clothing (or complete lack there of - 'grandma/pa pants')
Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: Independent
And what again is the reason one needs to not look like an American?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cloudship
And what again is the reason one needs to not look like an American?
The premise of the article is that it materially changes the probability that you're a victim of a terrorist attack. IMHO, the entire article is based on a faulty premise for almost anywhere in the world a normal tourist would travel.

On the 0.0001% chance you happen to be in the exact spot of a terrorist attack, whether or not you are wearing a bum bag, a Hawaiian shirt, and a Yankees lid isn't going to change the outcome.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
http://www.seattletimes.com/life/tra...as-you-travel/

Interesting article this morning. It tells me all of the things I SHOULDN'T wear, not a lot of advice on what I SHOULD wear. It also doesn't mention jeans, which I thought was also a dead giveaway of an American.

Any suggestions beyond what's in this article? Or should we all just go with Birkenstocks with knee high socks & nothing else?

Best is not to be one of those uber tribalistic types who thinks everyone cares where they are from and wears a shirt with the US Flag on it...hell, even in the US there is usually a middle aged guy at the airport who HAS to wear a shirt indicating what state he is from when he travels.

But it comes down to place. In the western world, I don't care if I seem clearly foreign. But in some places it is better to not be so easily marked, like in Brazil where you stand a better than average chance of being mugged.
It's not just that an American would wear dockers and a golf shirt while walking past a Favela, its that the clothes are clean and new.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not looking like a tourist helps with personal security / thieves
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Best is not to be one of those uber tribalistic types who thinks everyone cares where they are from and wears a shirt with the US Flag on it...hell, even in the US there is usually a middle aged guy at the airport who HAS to wear a shirt indicating what state he is from when he travels.
Haha, to my eyes most big southern and Midwestern US airports are like NCAA fan gear fashion shows. You can't pass through ORD without seeing "that guy" dressed in at least 2 pieces of, say, Wisconsin logoed clothing.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Seriously though, I don't think the trick is to look less American but rather to look less like a tourist. I don't wear Bermuda shorts, sandals, Hawaiian shirts, camera on a strap around my neck or anything else typically "tourist" and let the rest of the chips fall where they may.
I think that is the key. I am under no illusion that I will be mistaken for a local, especially once I open my mouth. After years of travelling internationally, my wardrobe is probably a little more cosmopolitan than it used to be, but I only try to blend in a bit, and I generally will look like what I am, a professional who is doing a little sightseeing between meetings, and I find that is good enough to be treated well pretty much everywhere.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're probably okay if you don't look like you just came off a basketball court.
They play basketball in Europe - a lot. But adults there don't seem to wear the uni on the street the way you see it around here.

Last edited by rickg523; Jun 20, 2016 at 10:57 am Reason: Typo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.