Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to look less like an American when travelling

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
A few years ago, I was on a Lufthansa flight to FRA, and since I was still Star Gold at the time, I got a personal welcome from the FA, but in German. When I opened my mouth and released my very American (and faintly southern) accent, I remember the total look of shock on the FA's face. She had not pegged me for an American at all! It must have been my burgundy corduroys and $20 double-breasted sweater from H&M. And no sneakers .
I'm not sure dressing like a German is a better option! Burgundy cords?!! Ew. I suppose at least they weren't mustard.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by mapleg
I travel to Japan fairly frequently. Obviously a non Japanese person cannot "blend in" to Japanese society.

If I had to rate the least likely to fit in it would be Australians. They seem to combine the worst attributes mentioned by some of the earlier posters...weird clothing styles, loud talking, garish tourist outfits, big cameras and seem completely oblivious to local customs

I recall some Australian discussing his upcoming Japanese trip along the lines of he had worn nothing but shorts in Australia for the past 20 years and dash it all, he certainly was going to continue wearing them no matter what the locals would think.

I had this picture in my mind of a florid overweight man wearing some kind of sports top, shorts, crocs and a big belly. Good way to fit in.
First time i have heard of us Aussies being loud.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
I guess the best way to look like an American is by not being an American
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
You have not been in Kuta/Bali yet?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Normally you should put a smiley face beside the text when you are telling a joke.

I recall an article in the Sydney Herald --just google Aussies are a noisy bunch
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Been to any countries JetStar flies to?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:13 am

Programs: BA Silver
That will be because you're too busy making noise to hear anyone else!

I'd say that on the loudness scale, Aussies rank behind only Italians, Americans and Britons in Spain (in that order)!

PS - all the above intended in good nature!
Old Jul 3, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
If you see someone wearing Jack Wolfskin, they're typically always German. So...if you want people to think you're German, you can buy JW
Old Jul 3, 2016, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by pnt1
If you see someone wearing Jack Wolfskin, they're typically always German. So...if you want people to think you're German, you can buy JW
How about the Norwegian brand Helly Hansen?
Old Jul 3, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
They'll think you're English, ha ha. Actually, HH went out of "fashion" quite a few years ago in the UK so maybe not. Wear Superdry and then people will think you're English!
Old Jul 3, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
JW hasn't seemingly made any international presence aside from Austria (my wife's relatives wear the brand), it'd seem. HH has certainly made inroad into the N. American market (so much so you'll find the U.S. outlet malls). Funny thing is that 30+ years ago, HH wet-proof outer clothing were popular with foresters (in training) in my neck of the woods. Something that'd keep you dry in temperate rain forests.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
JW hasn't seemingly made any international presence aside from Austria (my wife's relatives wear the brand), it'd seem. HH has certainly made inroad into the N. American market (so much so you'll find the U.S. outlet malls). Funny thing is that 30+ years ago, HH wet-proof outer clothing were popular with foresters (in training) in my neck of the woods. Something that'd keep you dry in temperate rain forests.
Those bombproof HH rain jackets are still common up here on northern Vancouver Island for people working all weather conditions. Gore-Tex just doesn't cut it for spending all day bushwacking through salal.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by pnt1
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
JW hasn't seemingly made any international presence aside from Austria
I see it quite often here in Indonesia believe it or not.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 6:28 pm

Programs: Independent
What's the heavy jackets sorry parkas, with the round red and white logo? I think it is Canadian, maybe English?
Old Jul 3, 2016, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Cloudship
What's the heavy jackets sorry parkas, with the round red and white logo? I think it is Canadian, maybe English?
It's Canada Goose you're thinking of.

http://www.canadagoose.com/

I think they're owned by an American hedge fund these days, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.