Reload this Page >

Traveling to Cuba

Traveling to Cuba

Old Jun 9, 2016, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta; United; US Air; American; JetBlue
Traveling to Cuba

Hey Fellow Travelers...

I normally NEVER post or ASK anyone for any advice.
I am a well seasoned traveler, but I am kind of concerned about my upcoming trip due to the number of times I have to change planes.

I will be traveling to Cuba this summer.
Flying from LAX to GDL, Then GDL to MEX, then MEX to HAV.
I know, lots of changing, but it was really better than some other options open for flights. (Times like these I miss living on the East coast.)
Flying on AeroMexico, first time on this airline. Not VERY familiar with how they handle things. Most reviews are ok for this airline.

Will be in Cuba for 14 days.

All paperwork completed.

Concerns-
Traveling with a checked in luggage.
I KNOW luggage can be lost when and where ever...
However, I don't know If I have changed planes that many times while traveling internationally in one trip.
Would it make sense to try to pack a carry on with a large shoulder bag (for 14 days worth of a trip) or pack a normal, large suitcase, but wrap it up so its more secure?

I know this is a bit unorthodox, but I want to ask my fellow travelers their thoughts!

Any thoughts?

Thx
Old Jun 9, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If you're traveling in Y with 2 large bags you may get some hassle. You're not really doing that many connections. LAX-GDL (Immigration& Customs)-MEX(Domestic flight)-HAV(Immigration & Customs). At GDL & HAV you will see your bags again.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

@Yoshi212
Thanks!
So, I guess I will check in ONE regular size suitcase. Fingers crossed! Thnx
Old Jun 11, 2016, 8:55 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Welcome to FT, FlyingactressT.

I find the best way to minimize luggage troubles is to only bring a carry-on. I use a lightweight spinner, so that it can even be rolled down the airplane aisle. On top of it, I use a travel tote of medium/large size. It's not so big that it flops around on the roller handle, but big enough to carry a change of clothes, my spare sandals, the laptop, etc.

You are going to a warm destination, so, with a little effort, you should be able to pack lightly. Then the double connection won't matter a lick- everything you brought will be with you.

See this thread for fun stories and suggestions: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ust-carry.html
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks SO much @StartinSanDiego ! I am not new to FT, but I never ever post or ask for help.
I REALLY am reluctant to take ONE carry on as I will be there for two weeks and I have several functions to attend, which require more space in the bag.
I really am afraid to check in a bag for a double connection. I NEVER had a double connection...
I have tons of spinner luggages. Thanks for the suggestion.
I will read the article you suggested.
Thanks for your recommendation.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingActressT
... I really am afraid to check in a bag for a double connection. I NEVER had a double connection...
I understand, but:

(a) You are not the first air traveler to have had a double connection. Thousands of people do it every day. In fact, hundreds of people have three or more connections every day. The airlines have seen this before and know what to do.

(b) Nearly all of those thousands of people had his or her first double connection at some point in the past. They all survived the experience and are willing to do it again.

(c) Each connection stands on its own. Nobody is going to look at your bag at the second connection and say "this is her second connection today, let's put her bag on that other plane just for kicks." Having two of them doubles the chance of something going wrong, but that's a very small chance to begin with so twice that chance is still tiny. If you'd take a chance with one connection, there's no reason not to take a chance with two.

Enjoy Cuba!
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Hey Fellow Travelers...

I normally NEVER post or ASK anyone for any advice.
I am a well seasoned traveler, but I am kind of concerned about my upcoming trip due to the number of times I have to change planes.

I will be traveling to Cuba this summer.
Flying from LAX to GDL, Then GDL to MEX, then MEX to HAV.
I know, lots of changing, but it was really better than some other options open for flights. (Times like these I miss living on the East coast.)
Flying on AeroMexico, first time on this airline. Not VERY familiar with how they handle things. Most reviews are ok for this airline.

Will be in Cuba for 14 days.

All paperwork completed.

Concerns-
Traveling with a checked in luggage.
I KNOW luggage can be lost when and where ever...
However, I don't know If I have changed planes that many times while traveling internationally in one trip.
Would it make sense to try to pack a carry on with a large shoulder bag (for 14 days worth of a trip) or pack a normal, large suitcase, but wrap it up so its more secure?

I know this is a bit unorthodox, but I want to ask my fellow travelers their thoughts!

Any thoughts?

Thx
hope in future there will direct flight from lax to havana or at least transit in houston
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
If I have connecting flights and want to bring more luggage than hand luggage, I check one suitcase and bring a carry-on bag.
This carry-on bag is a computer bag (no wheels) that can be attached to the long handle of the suitcase so that it is easy to transport both pieces of luggage to/from airport.
In this carry-on bag I pack all essentials + enough clothes to last me 2-3 days at my destination and then I expect my lost suitcase to show up within that time frame.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by willythomas561
hope in future there will direct flight from lax to havana or at least transit in houston
There may be in the future as Havana flights have not been awarded as of yet, just other cities in Cuba.

To FlyingActressT:

I would have contacted any one of the charter companies that fly to Cuba right now from either Miami or New York and connected through there. You may have to had an overnight in one of these cities though, but it would save most of your hassles of changing planes and the greater possibilities of lost luggage.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks @EFREM for your very "frank" candor!

Thanks @Willythomas561 I agree! I hope so too!

Thanks @teddybear99 appreciate the tip!

Thanks @helosc , I had planned to do that! Thanks a mil!

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Jul 1, 2016 at 10:18 am Reason: Combining multiple "thank you's"
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by helosc
If I have connecting flights and want to bring more luggage than hand luggage, I check one suitcase and bring a carry-on bag.
This carry-on bag is a computer bag (no wheels) that can be attached to the long handle of the suitcase so that it is easy to transport both pieces of luggage to/from airport.
In this carry-on bag I pack all essentials + enough clothes to last me 2-3 days at my destination and then I expect my lost suitcase to show up within that time frame.
Coming from Australia I always have connecting flights.

I do what Helo says too. In all my travels I've never had a bag delayed or lost. Try not to worry.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:44 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Hi there

Thanks @helosc , I had planned to do that! Thanks a mil!
Welcome!

As you are new I am guessing you may also be new to posting on s bulletin board. FYI, it's considered " bad form" to respond to every post with a "thank you" or "OK" or whatnot. Usually you can easily consolidate your thanks and acknowledgements into one post. Keeps the post clutter at bay!

Have a great trip!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.