Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Filthy Airplanes

Filthy Airplanes

Old May 25, 2016, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down Filthy Airplanes

Most US carriers are making millions of dollars and their planes are totally filthy, but nobody bothers to bring this to their attention including bloggers and/or frequent flyers.
Soiled seats, disgusting restrooms, smelly aircraft seems to be the norm; how often do they clean these planes? Are they required to clean them?
Old May 25, 2016, 12:47 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Indeed ... after Ansett disappeared and QF & AC tidied up so much, the US carriers do indeed offer an odd display of not brushing their cabins.

Even though I think that they actually also improved somewhat over say a decade ago, especially on intl. flights.
Old May 25, 2016, 12:55 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Sloweddy00
Most US carriers are making millions of dollars and their planes are totally filthy, but nobody bothers to bring this to their attention including bloggers and/or frequent flyers.
Soiled seats, disgusting restrooms, smelly aircraft seems to be the norm; how often do they clean these planes? Are they required to clean them?
Do you have a source for these allegations? I frequently fly on Us Flag carriers and have not noticed airplanes which are totally filthy, smelly with soiled seats and disgusting restrooms.
Old May 25, 2016, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I fly a range of (mostly Star Alliance) carriers. UA does not seem to be markedly different in cleanliness from my recent trips on LH, LX, SK, AC or TK - or indeed FR which I flew the other day.
Old May 25, 2016, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Do you have a source for these allegations? I frequently fly on Us Flag carriers and have not noticed airplanes which are totally filthy, smelly with soiled seats and disgusting restrooms.
Are you at the front of the plane?
Old May 25, 2016, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I fly a range of (mostly Star Alliance) carriers. UA does not seem to be markedly different..
At the start of an EU-US longhaul agree ... but a few hours into the flight, with the lavatories never cleaned, it starts to feel different.
Also the taped stuff inside the cabin doesn't look all that fancy.
Old May 25, 2016, 6:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I'm surprised AC was mentioned in a positive light in this regard.

I feel that their planes are pretty filthy.
Old May 25, 2016, 6:53 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Keeping out of the seat-back pocket is half of the battle.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sloweddy00
i flew from orlando to houston on business class but they only served drinks with no meals at all

the airplane is quite good though not filthy
Old May 25, 2016, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I'm surprised AC was mentioned in a positive light in this regard.

I feel that their planes are pretty filthy.
When you transfer from UA to AC, it's akin strolling from a Greyhound bus to an operation theatre.
Old May 25, 2016, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by willythomas561
i flew from orlando to houston on business class but they only served drinks with no meals at all
You didn't miss much: the food in the airports is probably better than anything United (guessing it was them...) would have served you.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
The old AA planes are like being inside the vacuum bag itself!
Old May 25, 2016, 11:02 am

UA is always absolutely filthy. AA is not much better. jetBlue seems to be the exception to the case.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by weero
At the start of an EU-US longhaul agree ... but a few hours into the flight, with the lavatories never cleaned, it starts to feel different.
Passengers are to be blamed, aren't they? I wouldn't hold the airline or flight crew responsible for this.

I once had the misfortune of flying Saudia on FRA-Riyadh-BLR. Now, that is filthy. Again, it was passengers messing up the area in and around lavatories. The flight crew had go in and clean (I presume) very often at the end of the trip. I felt bad for them.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:38 am

I hope OP cleans his keyboard frequently. That gets pretty filthy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.