Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

... did we just nearly collide with during our approach to landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2016, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: some

On the way from private island Pamalican to Manila in a 16-seater Dornier 228 operated by Island Aviation exclusively for Amanpulo yesterday we made our approach to Manila (after circling for about 25 minutes, presumably due to congestion. On descent at approx 2 kilometres from shore at a height of - I estimate - 500-800 metres I suddenly see a white, probably stationary, object at approximately 50 metres from the plane at our height. Three tennis-sized or slightly larger white balls strung together vertically. My first thought was 'weather probe', my second was 'drone' (too high) and my third was 'woaw, ..., that was close'. If that had hit our propellors...

Anyone have any clue as to what this might have been?
Old May 21, 2016, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Electrical power cables?
Buy you will probably never find out
Old May 22, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
A few times I've been flying (as pilot) and seen clusters of balloons floating away. That would be my first guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.