Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What Are Your Top Pre-Flight Air Travel Pet Peeves? The 2016 Edition

Old May 19, 2016, 6:51 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Please click here for the article and poll results. <--The link to the poll results will be added here when it is available.

In many ways, preparing for a trip — and then taking it — is not as easy or as glamorous as it was in the past.

First, you have to either try to find the lowest price yourself — unless you want to bang your head in frustration in attempting to use your frequent flier loyalty program miles — and despite trying to find the flight which best fits your schedule, the only seats which are available happen to be in the rear of the aircraft on the 2:30 flight.

No, not 2:30 in the afternoon — 2:30 in the morning.

You would think that the airport would be empty at that hour; but there are crowds of clueless people blocking your way. Meanwhile, people behind you shove their way past you screaming “Do you know who I am? Do you know who I am?!?” before cutting in front of everyone at the front of the line at the airport security checkpoint.

The person in front of you is asked “How are you doing?” before being waved on past the airport security checkpoint. You, on the other hand, are pulled off to the side and selected for random secondary screening, which consumes approximately 82 minutes of your time.

Desperately needing a drink, you are fortunate to have access to the lounge to await boarding your flight — only to find that you need a crowbar to squeeze yourself inside. You then go to the toilet at the airport, which is completely disgusting and stinks worse than overflowing sewage. You finally approach the gate, where you find out that your flight has been cancelled and the next one with an available seat is not due out until the following Monday — and no hotels within the vicinity of the airport have any vacancy.

I can go on and on; but I believe you get the idea — and you have not even reached the aircraft yet.

This poll is the 2016 Pre-Flight Air Travel Pet Peeves Poll, which will be active through July 15, 2016.

This poll is the latest on FlyerTalk — the largest Internet travel community in the world with a rich base of travel knowledge — in collaboration with Frequent Business Traveler magazine and ExpertFlyer as part of a continuous series of polls pertaining to “pet peeves” of air travel, restaurants, hotels and technology. Frequent Business Traveler will provide the poll; FlyerTalk members — yes, you in particular — will provide the opinions.

The primary purpose of this particular discussion is for you to opine, elaborate on your thoughts and relate your experiences as an airline passenger prior to boarding for your flight.

Results of this poll will be announced both on-line in the magazine and here on FlyerTalk.

Here is the 2015 — and first — version of this poll if you would like to gauge the opinions and results from last year.

So — what are your “pet peeves” of air travel prior to the flight? Please vote today and let everyone know!
Old May 19, 2016, 9:26 pm

I'm sort of young (21) and the majority of my flights for intl. work are booked into either J or F. Every time I line up for the pre-boarding queue, I am targeted and asked to show my boarding pass, and if not, during the ticket scanning phase, I am told again by GA "BUSINESS ONLY!" It's very annoying and embarrassing!
Old May 19, 2016, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Gino Troian
I'm sort of young (21) and the majority of my flights for intl. work are booked into either J or F. Every time I line up for the pre-boarding queue, I am targeted and asked to show my boarding pass, and if not, during the ticket scanning phase, I am told again by GA "BUSINESS ONLY!" It's very annoying and embarrassing!
Just say, "Mind your own business."

Then ignore them. If they are airline personnel and they persist, ask for their name so you can report them.
Old May 19, 2016, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I picked the "clueless othet travelers". I think this leads to other more specicic items on the list.

From groups walking in a horizontal fashion so as to block aisleways, standing next to each other on moving sidewalks, waiting until at the threshold of the screening machine to put away cellphones, why do pepole live in little bubbles, ignoring that they are in a shared public space?
Old May 19, 2016, 10:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Rule #8, always be polite to people who are likely to be having a worse day than you.

So, be polite, show your pass, and sit in your comfy seat drinking bubbly and fine scotch (which the people who checked you pass aren't doing, because they're still at work in an airport)
Old May 19, 2016, 11:28 pm

I was a little older but been there, done that. Last time someone said "this is the first class line." I just said "Yep." and ignored them.
Old May 20, 2016, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by CRAZ8
Rule #8, always be polite to people who are likely to be having a worse day than you.

So, be polite, show your pass, and sit in your comfy seat drinking bubbly and fine scotch (which the people who checked you pass aren't doing, because they're still at work in an airport)
And that's exactly what I do! ^ I would never want to be "that guy" that makes a scene and acts pretentious... BUT I do get uncomfortable when other pax in the same cabin cut me assuming I'm in the wrong line!
Old May 20, 2016, 2:42 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
One big pet peeve that wasn't listed is temporal airline pricing schemes. When booking personal travel I hate playing the price optimization game. The only way to really win is to monitor the price over time and user other services that do so for you as well. It's bad enough for a regular return trip but try a multi-destination booking and this becomes hell.

I know this helps airlines maximize revenue and segment the market, but I hate it!
Old May 20, 2016, 4:16 am

Nothing is more annoying than "Discourteous and uninformed staff" for me.

Especially the uninformed part. I can live with people which have a bad day or are in general grumpy but if someone tells me I cannot book e.g. a SK and LH flight on one itinerary, check my back all the way to the final destination one two or more airlines belonging to the same alliance )even worse on out of alliance interlining) or deny boarding since they have their own way of reading and (not) understanding the TIMATIC information... then suddenly the whole traveling part of my job plainly sucks.
Old May 20, 2016, 5:04 am

Programs: US Gold
I think poorly designed booking systems are the biggest problem for me - it's particularly noticeable if you want to book a multi-city or open jaws itinerary and you *do* have some flexibility in your dates, because these systems all assume that multi-city = fixed dates. So you can't compare prices between days as easily as you can with straight round-trip fares.

The other thing that really bugs me increasingly - and it's *not* on the poll at all - is poorly designed lounges. What I want is: a desk/chair with a power point, a place to put my roller bag, a view of the departure screen, and sufficient space for a laptop, a plate, and a beverage receptacle that is in a reasonably quiet area. I'm seeing lounges where there is no desk space for people with their own computers (BA, YYZ), where there are power points only next to lounge chairs (LHR T4) but not near desks or tables where you could actually work, where there are *no* departure screens (I forget where that was - probably YYZ or MIA - but I hated it - "We think it's more relaxing this way" said the receptionist, loud mobile phone talkers, etc.

They also don't mention the food in the lounges, which is far more substantial in European airline lounges than American ones.

wg
Old May 20, 2016, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by wendyg
I think poorly designed booking systems are the biggest problem for me - it's particularly noticeable if you want to book a multi-city or open jaws itinerary and you *do* have some flexibility in your dates, because these systems all assume that multi-city = fixed dates. So you can't compare prices between days as easily as you can with straight round-trip fares.
Jepp, number 2 for me, which wouldn't such be such a huge problem if number
1 would be okay and I would speak with nice and educated agents
Old May 20, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
I picked the "clueless othet travelers". I think this leads to other more specicic items on the list.

From groups walking in a horizontal fashion so as to block aisleways, standing next to each other on moving sidewalks, waiting until at the threshold of the screening machine to put away cellphones, why do pepole live in little bubbles, ignoring that they are in a shared public space?
This ++^

I cannot understand why it can come as a surprise to people that they have to remove their laptop and liquids before security?!? Not the norm in all parts of the world and they might not be frequent travelers but unless they are deaf and blind there is no excuse
Old May 20, 2016, 10:47 am

I don't believe this. Ar eyou just trying to get some attention here? I have NEVER seen a gate agent look at someone because of their age and say "show me your boarding pass." when queuing for boarding.
Old May 20, 2016, 11:00 am
Suspended

Clueless pax, aka KETTLES, are my biggest pet peeve. Always has been, always will be.

It covers such a wide range of things, but generally it comes down to losing all common sense in moving within a crowd: Congregating at the top of escilators, standing confused at the jetway exit on arrival, standing and chatting in the aisle during boarding, gate licing, confusing gate number with seat number, and failing to book seats ahead of time then expecting others to swap for a worse one just so they can sit next to their adult companions.
Old May 20, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
Originally Posted by rob0225
I don't believe this. Ar eyou just trying to get some attention here? I have NEVER seen a gate agent look at someone because of their age and say "show me your boarding pass." when queuing for boarding.
When I was younger I would stand in the Premier line at the old UA terminal at ORD. Yes this was many years ago. A UA employee would shove me out of line and tell me it was the wrong line for me. "No it isn't. That college education wasn't wasted on me." If she did this once I could forgive it but she did this every week.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.