Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Are Your Top Pre-Flight Air Travel Pet Peeves? The 2016 Edition

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
My peeve is that my husband and I have different thoughts on appropriate times to get to the airport. We've missed a couple of flights because of that.
Old May 22, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
From the annoyances with fellow travelers i the 21st century file- if you have plunked yourself down directly in front of the only charging station within a 3-5 gate area, you darn well better be charging something yourself instead of blocking the outlet for the heck of it. Some of us are shortly getting on a non-retrofitted barbie jet next and would like to please be able to provide our own entertainment on the leg without running out of phone battery.
Old May 22, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zrs70
My peeve is that my husband and I have different thoughts on appropriate times to get to the airport. We've missed a couple of flights because of that.
My parents have this problem. My mother likes to arrive early enough to work a shift at Hudson News, my father likes the plane door to catch his heels as it's closing.

My peeve is when my wife drives me to the airport, which is frequently, she never drives as briskly as I would so I sit in the passenger seat biting my cheek.
Old May 22, 2016, 9:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Oformula
I'm delighted to learn that because you have never seen something, that means it never happened. With that logic, the moon landing was also faked. I suppose I and others are just making up our experiences?
+1. you can refuse to believe it occurs, but that doesn't change reality. it happens.
Old May 23, 2016, 12:31 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by rob0225
I don't believe this. Ar eyou just trying to get some attention here? I have NEVER seen a gate agent look at someone because of their age and say "show me your boarding pass." when queuing for boarding.
You are wrong. I'm slightly older than that poster but am frequently mistaken for the same age and it has certainly happened to me. Sometimes it's ruder than other times, but there is a frequent assumption I'm in the wrong line based on my appearance, by both employees and other elite passengers.
Old May 23, 2016, 12:55 am

Programs: US Gold
zrs70: I think only *one* incident of missing the plane would be sufficient for me to decide we travel separately to the airport!

beachmouse: My solution to that is to carry an outlet extender - something to turn the one outlet into multiple ones. It's pretty rare for someone to refuse to unplug long enough to plug that in.

wg
Old May 23, 2016, 9:58 am
Suspended

I have the same problem with my wife. Made the worse because she KNOWS I am a frequent flier with decades of experience, and she still doesn't trust me when I say you should always leave yourself at least 30 minutes extra for everything.

She seems to think you can still show up 1 hour before departure and face no lines or delays (let alone traffic problems on the way to the airport) along the line.
Old May 23, 2016, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Madone59
My parents have this problem. My mother likes to arrive early enough to work a shift at Hudson News, my father likes the plane door to catch his heels as it's closing.
Oh this made me laugh out loud. Both husband and I are solidly in the Hudson News time bracket and I can imagine the martial strife that occurs in the above scenario!

I don't know why peeve #1 bothers me so much but it does - the gate agents hissing at us that it is first/business boarding only. I can't imagine what about our appearance or demeanor that leads them to assume we aren't ticketed in that class. Granted, our travel is for pleasure and we aren't in business attire but we are clean, appropriately dressed and know "how" to travel as it relates to the boarding process. I am not a sensitive person by any stretch but it continues to annoy me because it happens at least 50% of the time. I just smile and keep moving.

Peeve #2 - people that spread their stuff over the chairs in the gate area when its crowded. I have no problem asking them to remove their bag so I can sit down but its amusing when they give me a look like I am the entitled one
Old May 23, 2016, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Sounds like my parents.

They insist on being at the airport three hours early for their domestic flight, even prior to the recent TSA insanity.

I don't even bother trying to argue with them anymore.
Old May 24, 2016, 5:55 am

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
When some passenger from Economy class passes by your bin in Business/First and stuff their bag in it. Like no. The bin clearly says 9J, it's only big enough from one carry-on and one personal item. Yet I haven't placed my personal item in it, but they decided to take it anyway.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
My spouse has not been complaining as much about getting there early since I've been making sure we have lounge access. I think it was a LH Senator lounge that made her say "I see why you don't mind waiting."
Old May 24, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by thegingninj
+1. you can refuse to believe it occurs, but that doesn't change reality. it happens.
And its definitely happened to me multiple times
Old May 24, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1P
For me it's the people who wait at the top of the X-ray machine belt, grab their belongings, and start re-dressing/re-organizing right there instead of graciously sliding everything down to the END of the belt to get themselves re-situated.

These are the same people who leave their empty bins on the belt and cause them to back things up.
Old May 24, 2016, 3:27 pm
KCZ

Why isn't baggage claim delays a choice in the survey? I recently checked a bag and found the delay worse than I remembered. Or is this such a given that it doesn't need to be on the list?
Old May 24, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by KCZ
Why isn't baggage claim delays a choice in the survey? I recently checked a bag and found the delay worse than I remembered. Or is this such a given that it doesn't need to be on the list?
Because the topic is "Pre-flight Air Travel Pet Peeves" maybe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.