Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Manners when exiting a plane: stand at your row or move forward?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Manners when exiting a plane: stand at your row or move forward?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by TomBrady
Now I will admit, sometimes I get up as soon as im able, but thats only if my rollerboard is in a bin rows behind my seat, Because I dont want to hold people to go back to get it. Even then, I will grab my roller board and go back to my row, I dont run to the front.
Not sure if I'm reading something that your not saying, but this annoys me. If you have to go back to retrieve your bag, then stay there (if there are people now in the aisle). Don't try and make your way back to your original row.

Originally Posted by prncess674
This seems like a very odd and rare situation. Usually someone from each row jumps up and starts putting on their coat, grabbing carryons, etc. I have never in my millions of miles flown where 18 people (3 rows x 6 per row) all sat perfectly still and didn't make any attempt to start to gather their personal belongings from the overhead.
This just happened to me for my first time. I was on a small plane and sitting near the front. Plane comes to a stop. The bells chimed. No one moved. And I don't move because maybe I didn't really hear the chimes. When the FA stood up to unlock 1L, then I got up. Still, no one else moved. It was odd.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
The only two times I think moving somewhere other than your row on arrival are justified are:

- you needed to stow your bag several rows behind you; in this case, it's better for everyone if you don't try to swim upstream during deplaning. But once you reach your bag, don't try to move forward again.

- You're in FC and can move unobstructed past the first row of the aircraft into the galley area to make more room for others to remove their bags
Old May 3, 2016, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by CPRich
Stand in your row and let everyone file out in order. Rushing past everyone is rude, IMHO (and from the reactions of my fellow pax when folks do it, in others' opinion also).

There are obvious exceptions - late flight where FA has asked to allow tight connections to deplane fist, etc.
Good advice! Matches my thoughts on the topic. ^
Old May 3, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
Somewhat related but I get a kick out of people in window seats who stand up as soon as the seat belt lights go off and stand with their head tilted for a good 5-10 minutes. I understand people may want to stretch their legs after a long flight but I see this on 1 hour flights just as often.
Old May 3, 2016, 3:50 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by cur
if there's available space, i take it up. it's like a highway or subway; you're actually speeding things up for everyone by taking up unused space.
This I don't get. How does this speed things up for everyone? In a single aisle plane with all seats occupied, if you skip ahead three rows, you will almost certainly keep someone seated in those rows from getting up/grabbing their bags/getting ready to deplane. The person whose space you take up will take a little longer to get out than they would have without your maneuver, and likely everybody behind them will have to wait a few seconds longer while they gather their belongings once you're out of the way and you can get up. I see how this maneuver might allow you to exit 30 seconds sooner, but I don't think it helps get everybody off the plane faster.
Old May 3, 2016, 4:35 pm
Suspended

It's more polite to exit row by row and not jump ahead into someone else's space.
Old May 3, 2016, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
It's more polite to exit row by row and not jump ahead into someone else's space.
+1. The people in that row have a reasonable expectation - not a guaranteed right, but a reasonable expectation - of being able to use that space to get up, get their belongings down from the overhead bins, and get ready to leave the aircraft. They shouldn't have to jump up in the first millisecond after the seat belt light is turned off to defend their turf from someone who's in a compulsive rush to get as far forward as he can in the aisle before others, who know that Row 32 passengers won't exit for a while anyhow, move into it.
Old May 3, 2016, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Exactly. I'm always on the aisle. If I'm traveling with others, I step out fairly quickly and stand next to my seat while the others I'm with walk out in front of me. If someone tries to push me out of his way or complains, I turn and smile. Makes them even angrier.
I'm with you, except I don't turn and smile, I turn and scowl.

It's a gift, as in so doing I give the pushy <removed by moderator> someone to feel superior to.

Last edited by JY1024; May 4, 2016 at 7:38 am Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive
Old May 3, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
I'm with you, except I don't turn and smile, I turn and scowl.

It's a gift, as in so doing I give the pushy <removed by moderator> someone to feel superior to.
Doesn't that make you a pushy <removed by moderator>, too?

Yeesh...such an air of superiority in this thread on how well behaved you are....I mean, how much better you are than other travellers.

Last edited by JY1024; May 4, 2016 at 7:39 am Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive
Old May 3, 2016, 10:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
When I get off a plane, as I am usually in an aisle seat and am pretty quick, When the "fasten seatbelts" sign goes off, I usually get up from my seat and walk forward as many rows as I can before the aisle gets crowded. I have no problem if others do that in front of me. I figure that the quick and agile people can get off first, and then people who prefer to take their time slowly get out of their seats and do whatever they want.

Recently, people who do not look like frequent flyers in coach have stood up when the fasten seatbelt sign goes off. Instead of moving forward, though, they just stand their at their row, even though the aisle is free for quite a ways towards the exit. They keep standing there until passengers in rows in front of them have stood up, gotten their bags and moved forward.

I can see that those non-frequent flyers don't want to be seen as cutting in line, but they're holding everyone up behind them.

So which is proper plane etiquette when getting off:

1. Stand up and zip forward if you can (if people in rows ahead of you are still seated), or

2. Stand up and stand there until every single person in front of you has gotten up, gotten bags and moved towards the exit?

To be clear, I am NOT saying that it's OK to cut in front of people who are standing in front of you.

EDITED TO ADD: The question is, "during the few seconds before anyone else has stood up, is it OK to move forward a few rows"? I have never gotten a bad reaction, and I see people (usually frequent flyers) do it during the workweek all the time.

Thanks.
i think the best one to exit plane is business class passanger

or else if you have economy just stand in your own row and wait until each persons in front of you exit the plane
Old May 4, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Ah, the predictable internet message board pattern:

1. OP posts, asking for advice: "Is what I'm doing bad?"
2. A multitude of posters confirm that yes, yes it is bad, and why
3. OP returns, defensively, argues why it really isn't that bad
4. Steps 2-3 repeat a couple times
5. Finally, it becomes obvious that OP didn't really want advice
6. Nobody changes

Fin.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old May 4, 2016, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Ah, the predictable internet message board pattern:

1. OP posts, asking for advice: "Is what I'm doing bad?"
2. A multitude of posters confirm that yes, yes it is bad, and why
3. OP returns, defensively, argues why it really isn't that bad
4. Steps 2-3 repeat a couple times
5. Finally, it becomes obvious that OP didn't really want advice
6. Nobody changes

Fin.
You missed the step between 5-6: OP disappears.
Old May 4, 2016, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
I never get up when the seatbelt sign switches off. I stay in my seat until people actually start moving. 90% of the time I'll be in a window seat.
Old May 4, 2016, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TomBrady
I hate people who do this. The only time this is even mildly acceptable, is when the plane is late, and those with tight connections get up to try to run.

I hate the people and crowd the aisle even before the door to the aircraft is open, or there is a jetway.

Now I will admit, sometimes I get up as soon as im able, but thats only if my rollerboard is in a bin rows behind my seat, Because I dont want to hold people to go back to get it. Even then, I will grab my roller board and go back to my row, I dont run to the front.
Sorry, but if your bag is several rows behind you, you get to wait until the rest of the plane unloads and go last. Pushing your way back to get your bag is just as rude as pushing your way forward. If the bag is light, see if you can get someone to hand it forward to you.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old May 4, 2016, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
I never get up when the seatbelt sign switches off. I stay in my seat until people actually start moving. 90% of the time I'll be in a window seat.
if you sit in window seat you can just wait until all people next to you exit plane

but if you are in a rush,it is betteer to sit in isle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.