Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

high-end hotels usually disappointing?

high-end hotels usually disappointing?

Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by LondonElite
There is no concierge called Ramon at the Dorchester, nor does that hotel participate in the tacky habit of putting chocolates on your pillow.
Thanks for setting me straight. It's an outrage. Ł500 a night and no After 8s before bedtime.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Palal
If I travelled weekly for work and had an expense account, I would probably prefer to stay at a more "sterile" higher-end place that consistently delivered the same thing - a good night's sleep, and whatever else I need to get work done.

As a leisure traveller, I prefer lower-end places (anything from hostels and guest houses to 2*-4* hotels, depending on the mood and expense) where I'm not nickel-and-dimed for every cough and sneeze, and that have some character (and good reviews). Staying at a higher-end place every once in a while doesn't hurt, but I try to minimize my hotel time when traveling for leisure.
Not sure why you would call a nice hotel "sterile" given that the context you used means vanilla and boring. Dirty with a small bed with a open spring doesn't make for a better "mood" or give it character.

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Having done this type of travel I prefer staying at mid-range apartment hotels where I can make my coffee in the morning and cook my own meals if I choose. I've stayed at higher-end hotels on business and the thrill wears off after you have to wade through a lobby filled with tourists every morning on the way to work.
Yes. When I'm travelling a ton (which I usually am) I look for a executive serviced apartment like Marriott Executive Apartments. 50% less than a Marriott FS hotel plus full size kitchen and en suite laundry. The one I use in Bangkok has an American grocery store next door so I can get the foods I'm used to cooking and can feel right at home.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
As it happens, SFGate just published a survey of the best and worst hotel chains.

http://www.sfgate.com/life/travel/ar...el-7384827.php

JWM ranks as #1.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Never disappointed. I choose carefully, and mostly for a critical factor such as location.

No need for rococo decor, obsequious service and the like.
Old May 1, 2016, 2:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I have yet to find an app that can replace a good concierge. One who listens to your interests/wishes, makes recommendations based on personal experiences, and then makes it happen using his connections. I'm not talking about slipping the guy in Vegas $50 for getting you into a steakhouse, or anything as vulgar as that, btw.
And I have yet to find a concierge that can find information faster than I can google for it. As for restaurants, I'm not really that into fine dining and I prefer Asian food, and since I grew up in an Asian home, I can tell the difference between an authentic hole in the wall place versus a high end decór imitator like PF Chang's. Unless the concierge is Asian, then I doubt they can accurately make any decent recommendations for me.

Most of the time in my experience when I've asked a concierge, I end up getting a blank stare from them or a useless answer. Since I now have google in my pocket, I don't even bother wasting my time asking them. If I want to know of good things to do in say, Miami, I'll just google for it, way faster and I can quickly scan reviews to see what others think.

No need for an app, just google for anything and everything these days

And btw, the one time I did stay at a Ritz Carlton, the valet took about 25 minutes to bring me my car when he promised me 3 minutes, and then, he managed to bring the wrong one. And then, he just showed some attitude and didn't apologize for the delay or screwup. I tipped him just $1 to basically tell him his service was horrible. I quickly got out of there and haven't been back to that property again.
Old May 1, 2016, 7:00 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I think high end hotels are a waste of money if you just sleep there. But if you fully utilize its amenities and facilities, it is totally worth it. Four Seasons on a weekend business trip? Count me in. But if I am going somewhere for the first time and have a jam-packed sightseeing schedule then splurging on a hotel makes no sense.

With all that said I do believe Aman hotels are disappointments to say the least. For thousands of dollars a night you get not much more than something like the Four Seasons, MO, IC, etc. Especially in Asia when service is great at any hotel.
Old May 1, 2016, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Especially in Asia when service is great at any hotel.

DNA hoodies changed twice daily?!
Old May 1, 2016, 7:20 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
DNA hoodies changed twice daily?!
LOL why are they called DNA hoodies? If anything it should be RNA hoodies since the scarf is a single strand rather than two.
Old May 1, 2016, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I think high end hotels are a waste of money if you just sleep there. But if you fully utilize its amenities and facilities, it is totally worth it. Four Seasons on a weekend business trip? Count me in. But if I am going somewhere for the first time and have a jam-packed sightseeing schedule then splurging on a hotel makes no sense..
Must fully agree.
If your destination is the hotel (and the hotel lounge) - whats the point of going anywhere, just check into your local *insert chain here*
Old May 1, 2016, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Sometimes, a drive up motel is the best option if you're on the road, have a lot of valuables in your car, and simply need a place to sleep. Basically, an in by 10pm and out by 9am kind of situation, being able to drive right up to the room, and only taking two steps to bring stuff into the room is really nice.
Old May 2, 2016, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
And I have yet to find a concierge that can find information faster than I can google for it. As for restaurants, I'm not really that into fine dining and I prefer Asian food, and since I grew up in an Asian home, I can tell the difference between an authentic hole in the wall place versus a high end decór imitator like PF Chang's. Unless the concierge is Asian, then I doubt they can accurately make any decent recommendations for me.

Most of the time in my experience when I've asked a concierge, I end up getting a blank stare from them or a useless answer. Since I now have google in my pocket, I don't even bother wasting my time asking them. If I want to know of good things to do in say, Miami, I'll just google for it, way faster and I can quickly scan reviews to see what others think.

No need for an app, just google for anything and everything these days

And btw, the one time I did stay at a Ritz Carlton, the valet took about 25 minutes to bring me my car when he promised me 3 minutes, and then, he managed to bring the wrong one. And then, he just showed some attitude and didn't apologize for the delay or screwup. I tipped him just $1 to basically tell him his service was horrible. I quickly got out of there and haven't been back to that property again.
It's not about how fast he can find it, it's about how he can best guide you in a city you're unfamiliar with. Google isn't going to help you understand the nuances of a city's dining options, just list a useless TripAdvisor ranking. If you're in an unfamiliar place, you can do a lot worse than listening to an experienced concierge.
Old May 2, 2016, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think high end hotels are a waste of money if you just sleep there. But if you fully utilize its amenities and facilities, it is totally worth it. Four Seasons on a weekend business trip? Count me in. But if I am going somewhere for the first time and have a jam-packed sightseeing schedule then splurging on a hotel makes no sense.

With all that said I do believe Aman hotels are disappointments to say the least. For thousands of dollars a night you get not much more than something like the Four Seasons, MO, IC, etc. Especially in Asia when service is great at any hotel.
If you get to the hotel in time to shower and sleep and the get up with the chickens and head back out then any decent, clean bed to sleep in is fine. But even if you have a heavy schedule, if you're going to be there for a while there are going to be times that you want a down time. Times when you want to sleep in, have a nice breakfast, relax in your room for a couple of hours, etc. Then a nice hotel makes a huge difference.
Old May 3, 2016, 7:12 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Having done this type of travel I prefer staying at mid-range apartment hotels where I can make my coffee in the morning and cook my own meals if I choose. I've stayed at higher-end hotels on business and the thrill wears off after you have to wade through a lobby filled with tourists every morning on the way to work.
If it's a longer-term stay (a week or so), then I prefer having a rented apartment or an aparthotel like you mention.
Old May 3, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Not sure why you would call a nice hotel "sterile" given that the context you used means vanilla and boring.
Because sterile environments are boring?
Old May 3, 2016, 7:17 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
i'm never disappointed because i get high end hotels on points or by gaming priceline name your price to get 5 star hotels for $70 a night

personally i'd never pay more than $100 for a hotel anywhere

and yeah i've stayed in $5 night guesthouses in peru that were ^^^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.