Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is a Fanny Pack a "Carry-On" Item?

Is a Fanny Pack a "Carry-On" Item?

Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First, the FAA rules relate to safety & security. As others note, one can debate the semantic correctness of the statement that "FAA rules limit each passenger to X carryons," the fact is that this is the practical and correct legal conclusion.

Second, asking passengers to condense their multiple items into the two permissible items does not slow boarding down in the least. Those ready to board simply walk around those who are not. It's a way of training people to do the right thing.

Third, if you have trouble with all of this, you can practice it at home before you go to the airport. Most people find it not that hard.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:17 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by Coskigirl
I disagree. The policy has nothing to do with security, it is how many bags you can bring on board. I think anyone relying on this recommendation is likely to find themselves in a world of hurt. If this were actually the policy someone could conceivably go buy 3 rollaboard bags past security and carry all of them on.
I didn't say anything about the policy being related to security. And it's not very likely that you would get a shopping bag big enough to fit one, let alone three, roll-aboards. The concept is that if you purchase items in the airport (like duty free items or a book or cosmetics or a sandwich) they do not count towards your carry-on limit.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Originally Posted by emma69
Turn it around so it hangs above your bum, and the gate agent won't see it until you have gone past her!
This is a much better idea than consolidating into other carry-on items!

Isn't the whole purpose of limiting carry-on items to two pieces of a certain weight and size to conserve stowage space so everyone is accommodated? If that is the purpose, then why does an item that sits attached to one's body, like a pocket in a coat would, defeat that purpose?

If I wore a travel vest with multi-pockets to hold my chapstick, tissues, phone, mints, money, credit cards, ipod, etc., it would not be a storage problem. Why is this different?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
This is a much better idea than consolidating into other carry-on items!

Isn't the whole purpose of limiting carry-on items to two pieces of a certain weight and size to conserve stowage space so everyone is accommodated? If that is the purpose, then why does an item that sits attached to one's body, like a pocket in a coat would, defeat that purpose?

If I wore a travel vest with multi-pockets to hold my chapstick, tissues, phone, mints, money, credit cards, ipod, etc., it would not be a storage problem. Why is this different?
I can sling my purse crosswise across my body and keep it on me, but it's still a bag and not clothing.

A waist pack is bag, not clothing, so it's treated like a bag. The airline rule is 2 bags.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I can sling my purse crosswise across my body and keep it on me, but it's still a bag and not clothing.

A waist pack is bag, not clothing, so it's treated like a bag. The airline rule is 2 bags.
However, a waist pack is normally strapped to you at all times--it's not going to become a projectile nor take up any storage space.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
However, a waist pack is normally strapped to you at all times--.
I disagree. I have used a waist pack for hiking, but I would never wear it while a passenger in any sort of vehicle, including aircraft. The seatbelt and the pack strap hit at exactly the same place and it would be extremely uncomfortable to have both on at the same time. Actually, I find it difficult to imagine why anyone would wear the bag while strapped in a seat, unless it was for a diabetic insulin device.

But it doesn't matter what you or I think about how and when to wear the bag. It is a bag and the airline limit is 2 carry-on bags per person.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Certainly on EZ, one bag means one bag. If you buy something, for example a sandwich and drink, from the airport shop, you board with it either in your bag or in your pocket. Your handbag must go in your carry on bag. Your laptop must go in your carry on bag. It makes for no arguing and silliness and helps to achieve sensible turn times.
easyJet allow a bag of "airport shopping" now as well, they just don't publicise it.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by Coskigirl
I disagree. The policy has nothing to do with security, it is how many bags you can bring on board. I think anyone relying on this recommendation is likely to find themselves in a world of hurt. If this were actually the policy someone could conceivably go buy 3 rollaboard bags past security and carry all of them on.
That's arguably exactly what the United rules allow for:

"You're also allowed to bring the following items on board, in addition to your one bag and one personal item limit:
...snip...
- Food or merchandise purchased in the airport"

Delta list "Duty-free merchandise", although I suspect that as a US airline that would be referring to the practice of not getting your duty-free purchases until boarding, the AA website is currently broken.

Easyjet are a bit more restrictive:

"You’re allowed a few things in the cabin in addition to your cabin bag allowance:
...snip...
- one standard size bag of duty free goods from the departure lounge in the airport."

Ryanair has no allowance for anything beyond your one bag.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by televisor
Ryanair has no allowance for anything beyond your one bag.
No, Ryanair also allow a small bag and a bag of airport shopping (at least ex-UK for the airport shopping bag) in addition to a regular cabin bag.

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful...ge-can-I-carry
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:23 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by ft101
No, Ryanair also allow a small bag and a bag of airport shopping (at least ex-UK for the airport shopping bag) in addition to a regular cabin bag.

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful...ge-can-I-carry
Ooops, can't believe I missed the personal item. But they don't list any additional allowances or shopping bags on their site, or their T&Cs. With the exception of an additional bag for a baby.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
I disagree. I have used a waist pack for hiking, but I would never wear it while a passenger in any sort of vehicle, including aircraft. The seatbelt and the pack strap hit at exactly the same place and it would be extremely uncomfortable to have both on at the same time. Actually, I find it difficult to imagine why anyone would wear the bag while strapped in a seat, unless it was for a diabetic insulin device. ...
It is not uncomfortable (for me) at all to wear both a fanny pack and a seat belt at the same time. The seat belt falls lower on the hips than the pack, and goes under the pack.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1p
I have a very small cross body purse. (Like the "wallet on a string" concept of 20 years ago.) Sometimes I wear it under a jacket, sometimes I'll slip it into the end pocket of my personal item. Never been challenged.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I disagree. I have used a waist pack for hiking, but I would never wear it while a passenger in any sort of vehicle, including aircraft. The seatbelt and the pack strap hit at exactly the same place and it would be extremely uncomfortable to have both on at the same time. Actually, I find it difficult to imagine why anyone would wear the bag while strapped in a seat, unless it was for a diabetic insulin device.

But it doesn't matter what you or I think about how and when to wear the bag. It is a bag and the airline limit is 2 carry-on bags per person.
Belt goes under the bag, no problem.
GUWonder likes this.
Old May 1, 2016, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by televisor
Ooops, can't believe I missed the personal item. But they don't list any additional allowances or shopping bags on their site, or their T&Cs. With the exception of an additional bag for a baby.
A couple of years ago the UK airports pressurised the airlines to allow a bag of shopping on board, presumably because the airport shops were hating the lost business.

Ryanair don't mention it on their website as they don't want to encourage it, but there are signs in most UK airports letting you know that your bag of shopping will be OK.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
So far, my experience has been only with Delta: one gate agent and one flight attendant, two different flights within the last 2 weeks. (TSA has never cared, as long as I take it off and place it on the belt.)
lol I literally was just so annoyed with Delta agent in Helena for telling me that and made my boarding take longer. Sat down all chapped and googled it. Just Delta.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.