Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What airlines will be around in 25 years time?

What airlines will be around in 25 years time?

Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pinniped
The entire aviation industry, worldwide, is heavily subsidized through protectionist policies, friendly local political accommodation, and cozy relationship with regulators.

Not to mention that most of the infrastructure besides the planes themselves is publicly funded. (I believe this is a good thing for many reasons...logistics, safety, standardization, etc....but it's a form of subsidization.)
Agreed. My point was that there is little point in picking out specific airlines guilty of receiving handouts. They all did/do.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Air Canada for example, successfully lobbied the government to stop ME3 from flying to Canada. Instead of competing, they are happy (as a public company!) to receive a govt subsidy in the form of interference/protectionism. Apart from that, they received bailout handouts in 2009.
And pretty much all US airlines at one point or another received Ch11 handouts from the taxpayer...
Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: A3 Aegean *Gold
Talking Trump Airlines will own all domestic carriers

and make America great again!
Old Apr 12, 2016, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Austin787
In the USA I see the smaller airlines combining together over the next 25 years. By 2041 we could have 6 airlines:
1 ULCC: Spirit+Frontier+Allegiant
1 LCC: Southwest
1 Upscale LCC: Alaska+Virgin America+JetBlue+Hawaiian
3 Global airlines: American, United, and Delta
those are mostly operated in USA
how about asia and europe region?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: AA plat, UA 1K, Marriott lftm PL & Hilton gold, Celebrity elite, Fairmont pres
Not all bad guys:

Eastern is coming back. What could possible be better?
Seriously, our LCCs are already uncompetitive and the great foreign carriers are eating their lunch.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Austin787
1 ULCC: Spirit+Frontier+Allegiant
1 LCC: Southwest
1 Upscale LCC: Alaska+Virgin America+JetBlue+Hawaiian
3 Global airlines: American, United, and Delta
I see no reason other than nostalgia to classify Southwest as an LCC. Their cost basis is no longer lower than the remainign three hub-and-spoke legacies and their fares are often higher. We have a Big Four now, with a smattering of B-tier carriers, some LCC, some not.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I think the main reason I still have a hard time characterizing WN as part of the "Big Four" is because they have no alliance and such a small regional footprint.

Of course, learning that they collude just as much as the other three cartel members somewhat reduces my reluctance to admit them to this "club".

It will be interesting to see if one of Frontier, Allegiant, or Spirit ever attempts to clean up its image, offer halfway passable customer service, and attempt to behave like Southwest did many years ago. (It was no-frills, but prided itself on being customer-friendly.) It seems like Frontier might have a little bit of this in their DNA. They *were* this once. I don't expect Allegiant to do it...they're just going to keep duct-taping up old MD80's and flying them to Florida. Spirit talks a growth game, but hasn't shown any indication of ever behaving like a serious, professional airline (even a no-frills one).
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Fore sure - Philippines Airlines. You can check - why.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
I see no reason other than nostalgia to classify Southwest as an LCC. Their cost basis is no longer lower than the remainign three hub-and-spoke legacies and their fares are often higher. We have a Big Four now, with a smattering of B-tier carriers, some LCC, some not.
I agree.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 2:30 pm

If I had to predict any US low cost carriers having any sustained growth, I'd only bet on Frontier.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA exp, Marriott Amb
Three of the "Big Four" have the infrastructure and partnerships to support global travelers, Southwest can take you to the Caribbean for spring break. One of these things is not like the others.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 2:52 pm

Easy. For the 99%, if we look at the current profit rates:

North and South America: Spirit
Europe and Africa: RyanAir
Asia and Oceania: AirAsia
ME: all of the above?

For the 1%, private planes.

No elites, no whining about upgrades, everybody wins?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
I think the main reason I still have a hard time characterizing WN as part of the "Big Four" is because they have no alliance and such a small regional footprint.

Of course, learning that they collude just as much as the other three cartel members somewhat reduces my reluctance to admit them to this "club".

It will be interesting to see if one of Frontier, Allegiant, or Spirit ever attempts to clean up its image, offer halfway passable customer service, and attempt to behave like Southwest did many years ago. (It was no-frills, but prided itself on being customer-friendly.) It seems like Frontier might have a little bit of this in their DNA. They *were* this once. I don't expect Allegiant to do it...they're just going to keep duct-taping up old MD80's and flying them to Florida. Spirit talks a growth game, but hasn't shown any indication of ever behaving like a serious, professional airline (even a no-frills one).
Indeed, and Southworst remains "no-frills" despite increasingly comparable fares to legacy airlines. In other words, they cost as much, but offer way less. Still no F, no lounges, no broad international, no pre-selection of seats.
I still consider them an LCC (Low Class Carrier ha ha) due to the amenities and lack thereof, but certainly not on price..and I haven't for at least 7 years now.

In many ways, they have led the race to the bottom.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 7:30 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by LondonElite
And pretty much all US airlines at one point or another received Ch11 handouts from the taxpayer...
Chapter 11 may be a handout, but it's certainly not from the taxpayer. It comes from the other businesses that don't get paid what they are owed.

Originally Posted by EPMER1
Seriously, our LCCs are already uncompetitive and the great foreign carriers are eating their lunch.
Since most US LCCs don't fly outside North America, I'm not sure how this is possible.

I don't think there is any meaningful distinction between LCCs and legacy carriers. Any carrier that did not fly interstate routes as of the effective date of deregulation is technically an LCC, but since the legacy carriers have all gone through bankruptcy restructuring and lowered their costs, there is now no difference between the two. Rather, it's the ULCCs like Allegiant and Spirit that are disrupting the market.

I can't really predict which airlines will be flying, but whichever ones are left will probably buying aircraft from Comac, which will give Boeing and Airbus a good run for their money in the narrow body category and might even start developing wide bodies.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by invisible
Fore sure - Philippines Airlines. You can check - why.
philippine airlines is not really big

it better to have singapore airlines in asia
Old Apr 14, 2016, 1:59 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by willythomas561
philippine airlines is not really big

it better to have singapore airlines in asia
Philippine Airlines AFAIK in the only airline which is operating under the same name it started with.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.