Boom $5k return - 3.4 hours LHR/JFK

Old Mar 21, 2016, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Boom $5k return - 3.4 hours LHR/JFK

Slightly off-topic but seeing this futuristic project is kind of a (beloved?) Concorde replacement on possibly the only viable route for this kind of value proposition.

(LAX-SYD and SFO-TYO or other routes they are proposing)

http://boom.aero/
Old Mar 21, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Blue :(
Only $5000 return, don't believe that.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Agree, it would be nice, but I doubt they could do it for that price.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 12:52 pm

Well, not as OT as you think if Boom are the aircraft manufacturer. They still need airlines like BA to order them.

I might be misunderstanding the proposition though - given they're saying this will be for 'business class prices'. It would suggest they'll be the airline too?

Just like Virgin Galactic, I won't hold my breath. Of course it would be great if it came to anything.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
...and not nearly as ugly as most of the other recent flights of fancy into SS territory.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:49 pm

Good luck to them, they're going to need billions $
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by gingeola
Ah, but in this brave new world regulation is for stuffy old companies that don't innovate like the new kids on the block. After all, what could possibly go wrong...

(I've seen this attitude in some financial services start-ups and there's a disturbing naivety about them)

How many 'bet the company' efforts have there been in aviation in recent years from Boeing (Dreamliner?), Airbus (A380?) and Bombardier (C-series?), Mitsubishi (MRJ?), Rolls Royce, etc.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
My prediction: they will change the name!

Boom? Really? That doesn't even work for 'sonic boom' (unless they eliminate it) especially once the complaints start pouring in.

Boom? Really?

Reminds of Phil Hendrie's "Plane Go Boom" bit.

Last edited by narvik; Mar 21, 2016 at 4:09 pm
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gingeola
http://techcrunch.com/2016/03/23/boo...l-with-virgin/

Not exactly the same but still interesting development

Boom is announcing today that Richard Bransons Virgin Group has optioned ten planes, in a deal ultimately valued at about $2 billion dollars. Boom also says theyve optioned 15 additional planes to a European carrier that it declined to name, bringing the total value of the optioned planes up to $5 billion.

Now, this doesnt mean that Virgin has bought the planes its a bit too early for that. Theyve signed a letter of intent, meaning that, having seen the nitty-gritty specs of the plane and the companys plans for moving forward, they intend to buy 10 planes if everything comes together as planned.

But it also looks like Virgin is going to help make that happen: Boom founder Blake Scholl tells me that Virgin Galactics space division, The Spaceship Company, has committed to helping build and test the planes, including helping with the supersonic testing when the time comes.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: AY+ Gold, SK EBS
Looks like this thread could be a bit less OT than expected, if this Guardian quote means what I think it does:

"As well as partnering with Virgin, Scholl said he has also signed a letter of intent with an major London-based airline, which wants to buy $2bn worth of his jets."

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...business-class
Old Mar 24, 2016, 10:30 am

Just cant see it happening. Never mind that the numbers don't add up, and not even close, until someone finds a way of eradicating the sonic boom, there wont be any commercial supersonic flight. Shame.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by enjoyingit
until someone finds a way of eradicating the sonic boom, there wont be any commercial supersonic flight. Shame.
Says you?
Old Mar 24, 2016, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Chokkoubin
Looks like this thread could be a bit less OT than expected, if this Guardian quote means what I think it does:

"As well as partnering with Virgin, Scholl said he has also signed a letter of intent with an major London-based airline, which wants to buy $2bn worth of his jets."

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...business-class
I read that too and very briefly wondered if it was BA. But there are so many reasons why BA wouldn't go for this kind of thing right now, in terms of commercial viability, risk, etc, I can't believe it's BA.

But if not BA (nor Virgin who are already mentioned), which other "major London-based airline" would it be?
Old Mar 24, 2016, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Says you?
And some others...

http://www.airspacemag.com/flight-to...952125/?no-ist

However (it is a really cute video)...

More info

Last edited by henkybaby; Mar 24, 2016 at 12:44 pm
Old Mar 24, 2016, 1:15 pm
Suspended

But let's get real for a moment. The reason Concorde was grounded had pretty much nothing to do with sonic boom issues. Flying Europe-US east coast or US west coast-Asia gateways the sonic boom is a complete irrelevance, and that's where much of the money is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.