Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Airport Lounges
Reload this Page >

PriorityPass Membership or Alternative (I have no Credit Card)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PriorityPass Membership or Alternative (I have no Credit Card)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2016, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

cgtechuk Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by chrisbarnett01
If you purchase admirals club membership, you can use it on any flight.
If you earned access through status, you can only use it on certain flights.
Buy if you earn status with the BA ffp you will have USA & UK lounge access.
With AA status lounge access is only only with international itineraries and not for USA domestic itineraries.
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

What ffp will you be crediting these flights to?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
Old Mar 17, 2016, 7:00 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I would caution that lounges in the US are generally pretty dire in comparison to those in Europe that you may be used to, and are really only a glorified waiting room with free coffee and wi-fi, plus a few non-premium (read: potentially undrinkable) alcoholic beverages and snacks. They are not, by and large, areas where you can fashion a sensible meal or somewhere you'd routinely want to be for an extended period of time. For a once-a-year treat for a family they probably seem exciting - if you're looking at a few visits a year they will soon become rather less so. With a few hours in each airport, you would likely still have to find somewhere in the terminal to eat.

Depending on exactly how many visits a year you intend to make (and it sounds like maybe 15-20 or so judging by your Bank Account comment), consider whether that $20-25 per visit might be better spent by sitting in a reasonably nice restaurant with much better quality food and drink compared to the Club, also taking into account the warnings that in many airports you may not have a PP lounge you can actually get to (or that is a long way from your departure gate if you can).
Old Mar 17, 2016, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
They are not, by and large, areas where you can fashion a sensible meal or somewhere you'd routinely want to be for an extended period of time.
This reminds me of a funny story travelling back from our place in the southern US last Easter. We had a few hours layover at EWR on our way back to LHR and the children were all moaning about wanting dinner. We were in the UA lounge for about 20 minutes because I had to send off a few emails for people to pick up early the next morning in London. My wife told the younger two to go off and make themselves a little snack before we went to one of the restaurants for dinner.

They came back with a huge bowl of Skittles and three slices of salami each.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I would caution that lounges in the US are generally pretty dire in comparison to those in Europe that you may be used to, and are really only a glorified waiting room with free coffee and wi-fi, plus a few non-premium (read: potentially undrinkable) alcoholic beverages and snacks. They are not, by and large, areas where you can fashion a sensible meal or somewhere you'd routinely want to be for an extended period of time. For a once-a-year treat for a family they probably seem exciting - if you're looking at a few visits a year they will soon become rather less so. With a few hours in each airport, you would likely still have to find somewhere in the terminal to eat.

Depending on exactly how many visits a year you intend to make (and it sounds like maybe 15-20 or so judging by your Bank Account comment), consider whether that $20-25 per visit might be better spent by sitting in a reasonably nice restaurant with much better quality food and drink compared to the Club, also taking into account the warnings that in many airports you may not have a PP lounge you can actually get to (or that is a long way from your departure gate if you can).
I would disagree with the generalizations about USA lounges expressed here. While many are indeed dire, some of the new private contact lounges, such as The Club at ATL, are quite nice. AS has good food, as does DL now generally. As long as you don't expect the equivalent of the IFC lounge at a major hub or one of the renowned Asian lounges, you'll find a variety of free F&B, free newspapers and (limited) magazines, work space, generally good free wifi, clean and pleasant lavatories, sometimes stylish modern showers (with towels and decent toiletries provided), and special attractions such as the DL SkyDecks at ATL and JFK. I'd much rather wait in a lounge than in an airport concourse or indeed, most airport restaurants and bars.

Moreover, during IROPs, lounge access can be priceless.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
Thanks for all the replies folks, It is appreciated.

Regarding Car Hire I am afraid you are wrong, I have been using my debit card for over 5 years in the states , Thailand etc for hiring cars with Alamo, Avis, Sixt No problem, My card is a debit card but not prepaid, Yes I agree with hotels and car hire companies they put a holding transaction on the card but I have an overdraft that takes care of the hold for me.

Unfortunately a Credit Card is out of reach not through want of trying due to a run of bad luck years back. (Should be easy to work out what I mean)

In regards to having a PriorityPass that has access to lounges I need looking at my bookings GLA=>LHR => LAX => HNL and then the reverse followed later on the year with GLA => LGW => MIA => DFW => SEA out of all of them only 2 or 3 airports on each trip have a lounge I can use due to terminal combination. I looked into the admiral club but the fact that the terms and conditions say that its not valid if the start and end of the trip is in the USA which all mine would be then I thought it was hopeless. Unless I have that wrong?
You've significantly inaccurate information regarding Admirals Club access by members. See Admirals Club Membership: Annual, Citi Card and 30 Day (+ 1 Day Pass) (master thread) for information. Clubs at LHR, LAX, MIA, HNL and Club members may use AS Board Rooms (including SEA) if flying AA or AA. But, no Glagow club anyway, and at some airports you may be limited to airside to your departure terminal so it may be pointless.

Your best situation might be, as you seem to be an infrequent flyer but are looking at Admirals Clubs:

One day pass ($50) for one day access to any Clubs you can access that day.

If flying round trip GLA-HNL-GLA etc. within one month, $99 Admirals Club 30 day membership gets you thirty days of unlimited access to Clubs you can access.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: All the programs!
A priority pass membership is probably best. Honestly domestic lounges are nothing to rave about. It's rarely worth the single day admission fee. You usually have better food options in the terminals of larger airports.
Old May 22, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Regarding Car Hire I am afraid you are wrong, I have been using my debit card for over 5 years in the states , Thailand etc for hiring cars with Alamo, Avis, Sixt No problem, My card is a debit card but not prepaid, Yes I agree with hotels and car hire companies they put a holding transaction on the card but I have an overdraft that takes care of the hold for me.
I have not shared your experience anywhere in the US. At my latest car rental in Anchorage via Enterprise about 2 weeks ago, they flat-out refused to rent a car to the woman in front of me in line because all she had was a debit (not prepaid) card. Her only other option was a very sizable cash deposit.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:59 am
twr

Im considering purchasing a 10 visit membership, I see there is an option to enter a promo code, a quick google search brought up a 10% discount, and it accepted it, but this sounds too good to be true? I dont want them to reject my membership later
Old May 22, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
A 10 visit Priority Pass membership?
Issued from what country?
Purchased via a specific website?

Originally Posted by twr
Im considering purchasing a 10 visit membership, I see there is an option to enter a promo code, a quick google search brought up a 10% discount, and it accepted it, but this sounds too good to be true? I dont want them to reject my membership later
Old May 22, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Hi All a new guy here,

I am from the UK and will be doing a fair amount of travel to the USA over the next 6 months - 1year so looking to invest in perhaps getting a lounge membership card such as Priority Pass as most of my connections have a fe whours wait at each airport,

I dont own any credit cards / platinum cards etc and getting them is not an option so looking to see if someone can suggest the best type of membership for lounge access is Priorty Pass the only one that would be good for me or are there other ones I cant find?

I am from UK and will be travelling internationally to USA and then a few domestic and international flights from USA alao

All help greatly appreciated

thanks
PP is almost worthless in the US. Many lounges only accept PP members if the lounge is not busy... Most of those abuse that caveat and just leave the sign up all day. I've recently heard of several lounges that are now reducing PP benefits or severing ties altogether. You would be better served by paying for a membership to the lounge of whichever carrier you plan to use most often. That way there will usually be a lounge in whatever terminal you're departing out of.
Old May 23, 2017, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Holy thread revival batman

My original post was from a year ago and to follow up, I bought the priority pass (10 Visit) option and if I am honest it was a waste of money.

3 Months after this I truly discovered FT and did a simple Points / Miles run to get status and instead get all the lounge access I ever need when flying with OneWorld carriers which is who I fly with anyway.

The PP for me ended up only being used on my mileage run before the points posted and also for lounge access at airports where i was taking a positioning flight with a Low Cost Carrier.

Agreed though other than the flagship lounges I thought the AA lounges were not great.
Old May 23, 2017, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've had PP for a couple years tied to the Citi Prestige card. I'm dumping that card this year when the AAdmiral's Club portion of the partnership ends. Keeping it just for PP isn't worth it, especially with the few *good* PP lounges (like Alaska) effectively pulling out of the program but simply using the "we're too busy" excuse.

In my experience, most U.S. itineraries don't require excessively long layovers in hubs. I like going to the AAdmiral's Club for an hour or so when it all works out, but I could live without it. 8 ounces of Bud Lite and some cheese cubes aren't worth a ton to me. I get more use out of the lounges on international journeys, but I try to book most of those in J if at all possible, and that already comes with lounge access.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:39 pm
twr

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
A 10 visit Priority Pass membership?
Issued from what country?
Purchased via a specific website?
Im from South Africa and purchasing it directly though PP official website, the 10% code was found from a google search, dont know how genuine that is, yet it did accept the code

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.