Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

People Who Block Doors of Trains and Other Conveyances

Old Feb 21, 2016, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

An incident in ATL this past Friday afternoon.

I board the train at concourse D for a ride over to B and move toward the rear of the train. At the C stop, two women get on and stand right in front of the door with their two roll on cases placed lengthwise between them directly in front of me. When we stop at B, they just stand there blocking the length of the door. I asked them to please move so I could get out and one told me they had to get off at A and I had to use the door at the other end of the train car. I just got a good roll on my bag and shoved it between their two bags and went out while they were trying to keep their bags from rolling out the door.

Last edited by Canarsie; Feb 25, 2016 at 2:52 pm Reason: Deleted content which is no longer relevant.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by makeUturn

I board the train at concourse D for a ride over to B and move toward the rear of the train. At the C stop, two women get on and stand right in front of the door with their two roll on cases placed lengthwise between them directly in front of me. When we stop at B, they just stand there blocking the length of the door. I asked them to please move so I could get out and one told me they had to get off at A and I had to use the door at the other end of the train car. I just got a good roll on my bag and shoved it between their two bags and went out while they were trying to keep their bags from rolling out the door.
This. Is. My. Pet. Peeve.

On that same day, my plane came into Concourse F. The train was empty. There was a crowd of people trying to get onto the train, with long lines outside each door. The doors opened, and people rolled on and stopped just inside the door. The doors actually closed with lots of people still waiting to get on. The doors re-opened and the space hogs still stood in front of the doors. I just bolted through and went to the empty middle, with others following me.

The same thing happened at Concourse C, with one poor woman still having her bag outside the door as we started to move. Several passengers helped open the door so that her hand would not get cut off, as the handle was around her wrist tightly.

The train announcement should include a reminder for people to move to the middle of the train. Once everyone is on, people can move around to get to the exit if they are getting off at the next stop.

End of rant.

Last edited by Canarsie; Feb 25, 2016 at 2:52 pm Reason: Removed now-deleted quoted content.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by CJKatl
This. Is. My. Pet. Peeve.

On that same day, my plane came into Concourse F. The train was empty. There was a crowd of people trying to get onto the train, with long lines outside each door. The doors opened, and people rolled on and stopped just inside the door. The doors actually closed with lots of people still waiting to get on. The doors re-opened and the space hogs still stood in front of the doors. I just bolted through and went to the empty middle, with others following me.

The same thing happened at Concourse C, with one poor woman still having her bag outside the door as we started to move. Several passengers helped open the door so that her hand would not get cut off, as the handle was around her wrist tightly.

The train announcement should include a reminder for people to move to the middle of the train. Once everyone is on, people can move around to get to the exit if they are getting off at the next stop.

End of rant.
1000% justified rant

nobody pays attention to those kind of announcements ... I see the same sort of thing on the DC metro system pretty much on a daily basis "Please step back to allow customers to exit the train. When boarding, please move to the center of the car." Ha.

probably ~1984 ... I remember getting on the train after a redeye and hearing an absolutely dreadful synthesized voice ... "This vehicle is departing. Please move to the center of the vehicle and away from the doors." ... every time I see the train at ATL that voice pops into my head, and that's why I always walk if I'm only going one or two concourses over -- and yes, even T<-->F if I have more than ~10 min
Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Train blocking is similar to aisle blocking
At ATL and DFk one always has to shove through the line blocking the concourse
The redcoats used to have the line bend at right angles, not sure why not anymore
Old Feb 22, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by jrl767
nobody pays attention to those kind of announcements ... I see the same sort of thing on the DC metro system pretty much on a daily basis "Please step back to allow customers to exit the train. When boarding, please move to the center of the car." Ha.
Same thing happens in NYC as well. About once a week I have to forcefully remind everyone to step to the middle of the subway car. There's hundreds of people on the subway platform trying to get on the train and you stopping at the door is ridiculous. I don't care if you're getting off at the next stop. When we get to your stop trust me we will make room for you to exit the train.

And of course people standing at the door not allowing people to exit before they try to enter the train. Often times they'll just rush on and push people over who are trying to exit. I have more than once given someone a body check when they pull this crap.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by mridley2
Same thing happens in NYC as well. About once a week I have to forcefully remind everyone to step to the middle of the subway car. There's hundreds of people on the subway platform trying to get on the train and you stopping at the door is ridiculous. I don't care if you're getting off at the next stop. When we get to your stop trust me we will make room for you to exit the train.

And of course people standing at the door not allowing people to exit before they try to enter the train. Often times they'll just rush on and push people over who are trying to exit. I have more than once given someone a body check when they pull this crap.
In the Singapore subway system the pathway from the platform doors is marked on the platform floor. People stand outside that pathway while awaiting the arrival of the subway and don't step forward until the arriving passengers have exited from the subway car. That's civilized behavior!
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
In the Singapore subway system the pathway from the platform doors is marked on the platform floor. People stand outside that pathway while awaiting the arrival of the subway and don't step forward until the arriving passengers have exited from the subway car. That's civilized behavior!
NYC used to have subway door markings on the platform also (at least on the 4-5-6 east side line). Not a bad idea for the Atlanta airport train.

Frankly, something needs to be done about gate lice along these same lines. The only airline that has a working boarding method which minimizes disruptive lice behavior is Southwest.

Yesterday, boarding (AA not DL) in Charlotte, a huge guy with huge luggage has positioned himself standing in front of the entry to the priority lane, blocking it to all comers. First is called, and he v-e-r-y slowly moves his corpulence out of the way to let passengers through. From my seat, I noted that he actually boarded 10 minutes later with group 3.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by fastflyer
NYC used to have subway door markings on the platform also (at least on the 4-5-6 east side line). Not a bad idea for the Atlanta airport train.
Signs on subway platforms are meaningless. On every single platform in the London metro there is a sign that says, "Mind The Gap".

Okay, I may not buy my clothing at The Gap but I certainly don't mind it.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dovster
Signs on subway platforms are meaningless. On every single platform in the London metro there is a sign that says, "Mind The Gap".

Okay, I may not buy my clothing at The Gap but I certainly don't mind it.
Jeez, even I think this is a bad joke

However I may steal it and claim it as my own
Old Feb 22, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by makeUturn

I board the train at concourse D for a ride over to B and move toward the rear of the train. At the C stop, two women get on and stand right in front of the door with their two roll on cases placed lengthwise between them directly in front of me. When we stop at B, they just stand there blocking the length of the door. I asked them to please move so I could get out and one told me they had to get off at A and I had to use the door at the other end of the train car.

That's not air travel DYKWIA, it's just typical Atlanta. Atlanta folk do exactly the same thing on MARTA too, and in elevators as well.

Last edited by Canarsie; Feb 25, 2016 at 2:52 pm Reason: Removed now-deleted quoted content.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:56 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

The new home for this discussion — which originally was extracted from the “Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories discussion — is in the TravelBuzz forum, where it will stand alone as its own discussion.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum
Old Feb 25, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
The only way to teach train kettles not to block the door is to shove them a few times.... maybe the third time they'll get the message and move away from the door.

Same goes for the people on the platform who don't let people out
Old Feb 25, 2016, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Palal
The only way to teach train kettles not to block the door is to shove them a few times.... maybe the third time they'll get the message and move away from the door.

Same goes for the people on the platform who don't let people out
Yes.

And as I plowed through them I would say ..." Yea, but I am getting off at THIS STOP"

I go out of my way to make way for others even when I not currently about to leave. But that 1% of jokers need to be slapped silly.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
Had a good one myself the other day in ATL as well - very crowded and went from D to B. When I got off my plane we have 12 minutes until boarding, so I could make it, but had no time to waste. This guy stands in front of the door and stares at me as I shove past several people - doesn't move. His bag was in my way and got kicked into the hallway with him saying something like "excuse you!". I responded with a "don't block the door! Some us have flights to catch". The ladies behind me (they followed my path) said 'thank you' as we hit the escalators. No consideration at all. I don't feel bad to run those people over.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Many stops in Tokyo have that as well.

I was on an airport shuttle bus that not even all of the seats were taken and an "elite" who boarded with the first group stood right at the door with only 3 other people on board and dozens waiting to. Driver yelled at him once to move, still stood there. Then the driver got up walked over to him and told to sit down or get off the bus as it is not moving until everyone is on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.