Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which countries have you traveled to where you felt the least safe in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which countries have you traveled to where you felt the least safe in?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by HomerJ
...happened twice in Itaewon....once I was on my own...they assumed I was US military and 3 or 4 guys were set to jump me, until I produced my Canadian passport.
Same place but with a local girl, these 2 guys started hassling her as we walked.
One guy really got in her face, then I got in his. Bystanders had a decidedly anti-white guy looks about them. Girl I was with flagged a cab and we got out of there quickly.
Used to happen in the Phils all the time.
You'd be at a bar and some d-head would start berating the girl. When you have a 1/2 foot of height advantage on the guy you figure he will back down....but he gets support pretty quickly.
I prefer local places cuz they are cheap and sometimes had really good bands, but many times I'd just end up going to the expat places cuz you had some back up.
Almost sounds like you're out looking for trouble... mostly the trouble I have witnessed comes from certain arrogant attitudes and behaviors from foreigners - e.g. trying to barge through the place because you're "1/2 a foot taller".
Old May 8, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Please explain to me....

Originally Posted by CX HK
Almost sounds like you're out looking for trouble... mostly the trouble I have witnessed comes from certain arrogant attitudes and behaviors from foreigners - e.g. trying to barge through the place because you're "1/2 a foot taller".
...how going out at night to eat/drinks is "looking for trouble"?
Old May 8, 2017, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The only three times I've been concerned about my life when I have been travelling are:

1) a maniacal taxi driver in Cairo
2) gunshots fired near my hotel in a slightly sketchy part of Chicago, USA; and
3) when driving near Cape Town, being stuck in a roadblock orchestrated by some youths - who were approaching the car - it turns out that they were electioneering and lost interest in us when they discovered we had no vote.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
...how going out at night to eat/drinks is "looking for trouble"?
I think what he means is that someone who thinks that people should be intimidated by someone's height usually wear their arrogance on their sleeves. Not always the case in my experience however.

Also looking for trouble is taking a local girl to a local joint in almost any Asian country.
Old May 11, 2017, 4:09 pm

Well unlike you....

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
I think what he means is that someone who thinks that people should be intimidated by someone's height usually wear their arrogance on their sleeves. Not always the case in my experience however.

Also looking for trouble is taking a local girl to a local joint in almost any Asian country.
...I lived in Asia for 8 years and would get placements to new countries every 3-6 months. So dating locals was a pretty common recurring event. In many countries I had zero problems(Taiwan, China, HK, S'Pore and Malaysia come to mind).
I think many folks with less experience somehow think that a white guy dating a local in whatever foreign culture is looking for trouble. Maybe get out more.
Can you explain my issue with the 4 lads in Itaewon when I was female free?
Old May 11, 2017, 10:01 pm

...I lived in Asia for 8 years and would get placements to new countries every 3-6 months. So dating locals was a pretty common recurring event. In many countries I had zero problems(Taiwan, China, HK, S'Pore and Malaysia come to mind).
I think many folks with less experience somehow think that a white guy dating a local in whatever foreign culture is looking for trouble. Maybe get out more.
Does it happen that people have an issue with a white guy dating a local? Yeah, it does.

Does it sometimes - often, in my experience - fall upon the attitudes of how foreigners behave, especially in SE Asian countries? Yeah, it does.

Been around Asia for 20 years buddy - maybe try to "get out more" by spending more than 3-6 months in a country at a time?

Can you explain my issue with the 4 lads in Itaewon when I was female free?
I never said anything about being with females - just the attitudes. Jerks will get in trouble with lads anywhere with a stinking attitude
Old May 12, 2017, 12:36 am

Bangkok just after the coup d'etat. The people are bad enough there without a civil war on the horizon.

I also felt very uncomfortable in Dubai when scratching beneath the shiny surface, although not unsafe exactly.

Oddly enough I've never felt that unsafe in the 'usual' dangerous places (notwithstanding I've never been in an active warzone like Iraq).
Old May 12, 2017, 8:12 am

I go where my company sends me....

Originally Posted by CX HK
Does it happen that people have an issue with a white guy dating a local? Yeah, it does.

Does it sometimes - often, in my experience - fall upon the attitudes of how foreigners behave, especially in SE Asian countries? Yeah, it does.

Been around Asia for 20 years buddy - maybe try to "get out more" by spending more than 3-6 months in a country at a time?

I never said anything about being with females - just the attitudes. Jerks will get in trouble with lads anywhere with a stinking attitude
....some of us have jobs with multi-nationals with offices world-wide (maybe you've heard of them-if not look them up).
I am buddies with people who tend to be a little more worldly...please choose your descriptors more wisely in the future.
What sad little men we have on FT who's limited experiences lead them to believe that some people "ask" for bad treatment.
Old May 13, 2017, 2:28 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
The fact that people think that is incredibly racist.
Old May 13, 2017, 3:09 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by helvetic
The fact that people think that is incredibly racist.
Veering towards OMNI, but still: In that instance who are you considering the racist party?
Old May 13, 2017, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've "taken" a Chinese girl to a Chinese joint (and I mean places without a speck of English) many, many a time. Never has it been the slightest issue.

Although it's often a matter of curiosity for them, wondering what it's like to be married to a foreigner. For younger, single females it also is not unusual for it to lead to questions of how to catch their own laowei.
Old May 13, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by 1010101
Bangkok just after the coup d'etat. The people are bad enough there without a civil war on the horizon.
I've been to Bangkok several times and never felt unsafe. I've always found the Thai people to be gentle and helpful.

On the other hand, I felt decidedly unsafe when a belligerent policewoman pulled a gun on me while she wrote a parking ticket in San Francisco. I did nothing to provoke that. I was in the passenger seat. She gestured to me to open the window, which I did immediately, and then she proceeded to point the gun with her left hand while she wrote the ticket with her right hand.
Old May 13, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
East St. Louis (U.S.A.) and Karachi (Pakistan). I actually think East St. Louis was a tad scarier...
Old May 13, 2017, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by celle
On the other hand, I felt decidedly unsafe when a belligerent policewoman pulled a gun on me while she wrote a parking ticket in San Francisco. I did nothing to provoke that. I was in the passenger seat.
Did you try to open door/move? Or did you try to reach glovebox? You can get shot by doing that. Sorry if you don't know the realities of US, but some people keep loaded gun in glovebox.
Old May 14, 2017, 5:00 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Reds2011
Veering towards OMNI, but still: In that instance who are you considering the racist party?
Anyone who judges you for anything related to race; such as on the basis of who you're dating because you're ethnically foreign and she's not (or vice-versa).

I find it racist to say that you're "looking for trouble" because you're you're white in Asia and dating a local girl.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.