Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: elitetraveler
JetSmarter is a membership program that allows members to fly on empty legs of private jets (JetDeals) and seats on scheduled private jet shuttles (JetShuttle).
Print Wikipost

JetSmarter - discussion and experiences

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage / JetSmarter / AMEX Business Gold, Plat, SPG
(Allow me to preface this with the fact that I am 27 years old and have never been in a private aircraft ever in my life up until this prior weekend)

Just took my first two flights this past weekend. I took the plunge and signed up a month ago (haven't had a chance to get out, been busy on a project) .. That being said, I enjoyed it.

I was lucky enough to score an empty leg out of NY to WPB. It was "3 free seats" via the app, I quickly booked it. The next day, about 5 hours before the flight time, the rep messaged me via the app and sent me my invoice confirmation. I showed up at the airport 10 mins before flight time. Was greeted by the pilots for a quick intro & ID check, and I was on my way.

It was a Citation X, and I brought 2 of my friends. Luckily for us, no one else booked the empty leg so we had the entire 8 person Citation X , for ourselves (this was really awesome).

On the way home, I took a shuttle from WPB > Teterboro. My friends, unfortunately, had to fly commercial (sorry guys).. I got to WPB was greeted by Jet Smarter staff (the girls they have their to greet you are very polite). They took my bags , it was a 6 person LearJet, There was 3 other people on the plane including me (2 others had canceled) Weather was pretty bad so we were on the runway for a good hour before we had permission to take off. Once in the air was a smooth flight, wifi worked, everyone was very polite and cordial. I met a guy who does commercial real-estate and a former prominent investment banker, all great people who I enjoyed sharing an aircraft with. (I will say if it was a full 6 people on the 6 person shuttle, it may have been a bit crammed but still way better then commercial airports & first class even)

All in all: you really can't beat the ease and time savings of showing up RIGHT before the flight and not dealing with Lines, Crazy babies, security, stress and anxiety etc. That alone made it worse the price of admission for me (honestly, once you fly private one time you will realize how much smoother the entire process is). For someone like me , who is self employed and can travel at any moment -- it makes sense with the dead legs. WITHOUT the dead legs? It may not be as enticing for me to renew next feb. if their empty leg selections dwindle down...

I was curious why they lost all those empty legs with Jet Edge, There was some really cool aircraft on those when they were listing them. (about a month or so ago?)

The point , though, is that we can all agree that the model doesn't seem to make sense to anyone but the investors and people working their. All of us on the plane (retired investment banker included) bluntly said "there is no way this is making money, they can't give us free helicopters.. etc)... Hopefully they have some secret sauce or something because the common ground is that the biz model/pricing model doesn't seem to be sustainable.. We Shall see

End of the day in my eyes it is well worth it, the experience was awesome and the ability to jump on a private jet a few times a week at your fingertips is pretty cool to say the least.

Last edited by slay0r; May 5, 2016 at 5:21 pm
Old May 5, 2016, 5:54 pm

Another new member here. I've only taken one flight - a shuttle from LA to SF, but I will take the VNY-HPN tomorrow. I am concerned because although a member is supposed to be able to book two shuttle legs at any one time (presumably an outbound and inbound in most instances), Jetsmarter limits you to one leg when it's a cross-country trip. It looks like these shuttles have been "selling out," and it's kind of a PITA to wait to book a return flight until you've departed on the outbound.
Old May 5, 2016, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by slay0r
(Allow me to preface this with the fact that I am 27 years old and have never been in a private aircraft ever in my life up until this prior weekend)
Man, when I was 27 I was scraping by on Beast Light and had my best friend living in our sunroom to offset some rent.
Old May 5, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
Ok... here is how to think about it.

I'm a frequent shuttle rider to NYC from LA.

I have a trip next week OAK-HPN and I've a pre-booked Delta flight back.

The following week I have a trip from the West Coast to NYC RT that I'm going to try to do using just JetSmarter.

I have schedule flexibility and thus have the option of going OAK-HPN, LAS-HPN, VNY-HPN and the same in reverse.

Most of the oneway tickets from LA(BUR or LAX or Long Beach) to OAK or LA to LAS run about $100.

So I'll get my initial flight from either of 3 locations and return to either of 3 locations. Without that it'd be pretty stressful.

Also, the restriction to book a return flight is usually released as soon as the pilot registers you on the first flight. So, last week I was able book a return while on the tarmac before departure.

I know its nerdy but I do these graphics for each trip and update it until I can snag my flight. The circled numbers are the current number of seats available on each flight.
Name:  th_JetSmarterPaths.jpg
Views: 2201
Size:  5.8 KB

Steve

Originally Posted by millions
Another new member here. I've only taken one flight - a shuttle from LA to SF, but I will take the VNY-HPN tomorrow. I am concerned because although a member is supposed to be able to book two shuttle legs at any one time (presumably an outbound and inbound in most instances), Jetsmarter limits you to one leg when it's a cross-country trip. It looks like these shuttles have been "selling out," and it's kind of a PITA to wait to book a return flight until you've departed on the outbound.

Last edited by backdoc; May 6, 2016 at 1:41 pm
Old May 6, 2016, 9:37 am

I'm glad you've found a technique that works for you, but transferring from an FBO to the commercial terminal and going through TSA etc., at LAS or SFO, or ORD (or even worse, staying overnight to wait for a Jetsmarter shuttle) is not worth the hassle to me.

And I still can't figure out any legitimate reason for Jetsmarter differentiating between the transcon flights and not with respect to the 2 reservation policy, except to try to force people into opening their own shuttle at a cost of $15k (not gonna happen here). A better policy would seem to be upping the cancellation fee (which is already significant) on any second reservation booked. It would discourage people from locking in seats they don't truly plan on using, and generate revenue that I suspect would surpass what they're now getting from people who start new shuttles when the regular is full.
Old May 6, 2016, 9:51 am

Its much easier than you think.

I'm flying to OAK on Monday from Merced on a commercial carrier Boutique Air. When I land I call the FBO operator at OAK and they send a vehicle to pick me up to take me to the FBO, no charge.

You'll see today at the FBO in VNY, they are super helpful. Flying out of VNY is great, you can park your car for free or do like I do and Uber in. The return flight from HPN to VNY is much harder to get an Uber, the FBO will call you a cab, I just have my car service pick me up. Did you schedule the helicopter transport from HPN into Manhattan?

I'm not sure why the transcon flights are 2 segments, I think its just the LA/SFO - HPN routes. I don't think the LA-South Florida routes are 2.

The cancellation fee was only $100 for a HPN-VNY flight a week out. It may be helpful to call your rep and ask specific questions as the website isn't that great for info.

Steve

I'm glad you've found a technique that works for you, but transferring from an FBO to the commercial terminal and going through TSA etc., at LAS or SFO, or ORD (or even worse, staying overnight to wait for a Jetsmarter shuttle) is not worth the hassle to me.

And I still can't figure out any legitimate reason for Jetsmarter differentiating between the transcon flights and not with respect to the 2 reservation policy, except to try to force people into opening their own shuttle at a cost of $15k (not gonna happen here). A better policy would seem to be upping the cancellation fee (which is already significant) on any second reservation booked. It would discourage people from locking in seats they don't truly plan on using, and generate revenue that I suspect would surpass what they're now getting from people who start new shuttles when the regular is full.
Old May 6, 2016, 10:08 am

Good to know about transfers from the commercial terminal, thanks. I am ubering to VNY as well. Are you saying it's difficult to get an uber to come to VNY to pickup? Why would that be? Aslo, are you sure parking at VNY is free? Yelp indicates they charge $40/night.

Yes, I booked the heli transfer; looking forward to it.
Old May 6, 2016, 10:19 am

Each time I've landed at VNY there were no available cars that showed up on the Uber or Lyft apps, they may just be out of range.

I just called Signature Flight Support at VNY 818-464-9500 and confirmed that parking is complimentary when using JetSmarter at their facility. They have their own lot you should call them to put your mind at ease. Make sure which of the Signature FBOs you are going to, I've landed at both Signature Flight Support EAST and Signature Flight Support WEST. It will say which one on your "Empty Leg Itinerary" in JETSHUTTLE on the JetSmarter Message portion of the app.

The heli is the best part. Just so that you know, if there is bad weather that prevents the helicopters from flying they arrange van transport free of charge. Last week the cloud deck was too low to fly from the W 30th Street Heliport to HPN so we took a van ride. It took about 50 min. The W 30th Street Heliport is difficult to get to because of traffic and the impossibility of turning around while going North on 12th Ave. Its best to be let off on the East side of 12th Ave. and walk across. The Dial7 app doesn't seem to know where the Heliport is, but you can specify 699 W 30th Street NY, NY 10001 which is directly across the street.

Also, you also get free heli transport if you're taking an "empty leg" from NYC or from Chicago.

If you received any "credits" you can use up to $3000 in credits for any flight. I took my dad from HPN-VNY for his birthday and I had to pay the difference of $1990 plus tax.

Don't worry its all worth your investment. I was unsure at first because it seemed complicated but I'm going to renew in January. It took years to learn the ins/outs of frequent flier elite miles and such, this service makes all of that unnecessary. If you know you need to travel on a particular date and don't want to stress about getting it, purchase it on JetBlue MINT. If you haven't used it, its better than Delta's and United's domestic Business Class and the fare starts at $599 oneway between LAX-JFK. If you travel alone you can get a pod to yourself, with a sliding door. Seats 2 A/F and 4 A/F. The food is really good and the service is great.

Good to know about transfers from the commercial terminal, thanks. I am ubering to VNY as well. Are you saying it's difficult to get an uber to come to VNY to pickup? Why would that be? Aslo, are you sure parking at VNY is free? Yelp indicates they charge $40/night.

Yes, I booked the heli transfer; looking forward to it.

Last edited by backdoc; May 6, 2016 at 1:42 pm
Old May 6, 2016, 8:08 pm

I just hope they don't diminish the service over time...
Old May 6, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
We had a dismissive experience with customer service - tried to sign up for a credit with a code that unbeknownst to me had expired (when a certain blogger posted an expired sign up code a few months ago which was very strange), we fly to and from fl very often so we were still interested in trying out the service and I emailed customer service with a few questions about booking and membership and never got a response..finally got a few sales emails and tried to send the questions again and again no response. At that price point I expect some someone to answer my email. If everyone is liking it we might try again.
Old May 6, 2016, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by floridagal23
We had a dismissive experience with customer service - tried to sign up for a credit with a code that unbeknownst to me had expired (when a certain blogger posted an expired sign up code a few months ago which was very strange), we fly to and from fl very often so we were still interested in trying out the service and I emailed customer service with a few questions about booking and membership and never got a response..finally got a few sales emails and tried to send the questions again and again no response. At that price point I expect some someone to answer my email. If everyone is liking it we might try again.
Their support comes off very very, VERY 'dry'.. I mean for the money members fork over I feel they should be a little more hospitable, Seems like they went for more aviation guys then customer relations..
Old May 9, 2016, 8:10 am

I am unimpressed, and my buyer's remorse is growing.

If you're looking at this service as a replacement for coast-to-coast business travel, you are likely to be disappointed. Took the VNY-HPN on Friday. First, the flight boarded around 45 minutes late, ostensibly because half of the carry-on bags (including mine) were "hit" by the canine screener. Needless to say, I was not carrying any drugs or explosives. The flight was full, as every one of these flights will be going forward. If you're lucky, you'll get a seat not on a couch, and will be stari at someone for five hours and trying not to play footsie. There was a toddler on board, and let's say it was not a conducive environment to getting work done. The flight attendants were friendly, and there was an ample supply of champagne, at least. Food was sandwiches. Upon arrival at HPN, we were piled into a van because of the weather. Not a blast, but what can you do, I guess? Would rather fly into Teterboro and take my own car.

The main drawback is that there is absolutely no chance of getting a return trip on the same weekend, and should be less so going forward. Every flight on Sunday to LA, SF, and Vegas was booked. So I decided to fly into ORD on Friday night, stay at an airport hotel, and take the Chicago to LA shuttle this morning. Yesterday, after the hotel was up refundable, Jetsmarter notified me that the flight would actually leave from the executive airport, 35 minutes away or so. Not good, but at least they arranged a car to take me to the new airport. It's now 10 minutes after our scheduled departure time, and we have not boarded. And even though there were 8 seats remaining when I booked, I was assigned a couch seat. Another toddler on this flight, so I suspect he'll occupy the couch opposite me.

EDIT: Someone just tried to order champagne. None onboard.

Last edited by millions; May 9, 2016 at 8:34 am
Old May 9, 2016, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
After much thought, I've decided to pull the plug and not renew. It was fun but the novelty had worn off for me and Mrs. SFO777. The kiss of death for me was the move to shared flights. As Mrs. SFO777 noted "if we have to share the plane, then it's not private". Yeah, you can buy out the plane but that adds up and you still have to fly home commercial. May as well just charter from the get go.

The shuttles are interesting but most of these are full of other people and you can't book the return transcons until you depart on your outbound. I thought that I might use them more with our move to SoCal, but as mrfussion correctly points out, driving from southern OC to/from VNY is going to get tired real fast. In addition, I consider my 33% cancellation rate to be unacceptable.

SNA will be so much more convenient even if we have to fly commercial or just pay for our own reliable private charters.
Old May 9, 2016, 10:07 am

What's the 33% cancellation rate?

Originally Posted by SFO777
After much thought, I've decided to pull the plug and not renew. It was fun but the novelty had worn off for me and Mrs. SFO777. The kiss of death for me was the move to shared flights. As Mrs. SFO777 noted "if we have to share the plane, then it's not private". Yeah, you can buy out the plane but that adds up and you still have to fly home commercial. May as well just charter from the get go.

The shuttles are interesting but most of these are full of other people and you can't book the return transcons until you depart on your outbound. I thought that I might use them more with our move to SoCal, but as mrfussion correctly points out, driving from southern OC to/from VNY is going to get tired real fast. In addition, I consider my 33% cancellation rate to be unacceptable.

SNA will be so much more convenient even if we have to fly commercial or just pay for our own reliable private charters.
Old May 9, 2016, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by backdoc
1 out of every 3 flights I booked was cancelled, both TMC and XO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.