Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What side of the plane do you prefer when watching a youtube video?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What side of the plane do you prefer when watching a youtube video?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: Independent
Maybe I'm just not getting the sense of humor, but I think what the OP is talking about is in YouTube videos, do you prefer the videographer's point o f view to be out the left or right window, or does it not matter.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've been trying to figure out the point of this thread for the past day. My first guess was that it had to do with where to sit on an airplane if your thing is watching youtube on your phone during the flight. My second inclination was that a new ft subculture vernacular had emerged, and I'd missed the wave. My current theory: there are people out there who place their phones against the window in order to document what the clouds below look like on flights between A and B, and others who enjoy watching such. Am I on the right track? Or is this thread an early April Fools gag?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:58 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by moondog
...there are people out there who place their phones against the window in order to document what the clouds below look like on flights between A and B...
I'm guilty of that one.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SANspotter
I'm guilty of that one.
Guilty as charged!
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:53 pm

Have you ever looked on Youtube for a video of a plane? I think most trip reports end up devolving into that sooner or later. There are even some out there that film the entire flight!
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:03 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Have you ever looked on Youtube for a video of a plane? I think most trip reports end up devolving into that sooner or later. There are even some out there that film the entire flight!
I'm guilty of that too but I don't do it very often since it's a ton of work. I'll always prefer the traditional way of doing trip reports (writing + pics).
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I like to be on the inside of the plane, but prefer to watch videos of the outside of the planme.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I like to be on the inside of the plane, but prefer to watch videos of the outside of the planme.
I'm with you on preferring the inside. But I would always prefer to wing-walk on the right side
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If you guys are seriously talking about aerial videography, the correct answer is neither: you need an open-air chopper to shoot from. We took one of these flights in Hawaii and actually got some really good rainforest and waterfall shots (both still and video) using a basic Nikon DSLR.

Used the same camera to shoot Mt Everest out of the cockpit window of an ATR-72. The stills came out great...the video was a fun way to preserve the moment but wasn't anything spectacular.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 11:51 am

Yeah, but it would probably get pretty cold at FL350.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Lifetime Gold/Some Years Platinum
Originally Posted by djibouti
I sit on the left because I'm part Polish and poles on the right side of the plane make the system unstable.
OK, I laughed, but I doubt anyone else did.

That stuff hasn't crossed my mind for over a quarter-century.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:25 pm

Isn't WiFi still banned on most planes?

watching videos on a plane could make me feel kind of nauseous though..

Last edited by ....; Feb 22, 2016 at 7:40 pm
Old Feb 23, 2016, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Gregory Nelson
OK, I laughed, but I doubt anyone else did.

That stuff hasn't crossed my mind for over a quarter-century.
Huh?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ....
Isn't WiFi still banned on most planes?
No, it's commonly provided by the airlines. Whether it's good enough to stream video is another story entirely. The general belief is that the airlines that charge for it are better because most people don't use it. Airlines that give it away for free sometimes struggle with the demand. (I almost wish Southwest would reverse its model: let you use all of your non-data-intensive apps for free, but charge for TV/movies.)

Using your mobile carrier's networks during flight is what's banned. Not that you'd get a lot of signal anyway...
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Lifetime Gold/Some Years Platinum
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Huh?
Does this help?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyapunov_stability

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.