Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How to convince flt attendants not to close overheads prematurely?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, SPG, Amtrak

flight attendants always close overheads when they were not full. They let people put coats and purses and small backpacks in overhead and then close the overhead. Flt attendants are often pretty dumb about this very simple point. They should remind people that since a flt is full, the overhead bins are best used for large carryons and the small carryons on should not go in overheads.

And they shouldn't close the overheads prematurely when they are not full! No one should close an overhead until it is actually full, top to bottom side to side with no significant gaps that could hold purses or jackets or crap. Closing prematurely just slows down the boarding process making people open the overhead bins to confirm, that, yes indeed, some fool closed a bin that still has space.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Since you seem so certain of yourself, why don't you just walk up to them on every flight and say "you're a dumb fool, I know better, here's what you need to do".

Because reminding passengers to put large items in the overhead and small items under their seat is something these dumb FA's would never think of - we've never, ever heard that announcement.

Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Always? Are you sure? Do you have statistics or is this just a flight you were on recently?

Seriously, FA's have a whole series of safety, security and passenger comfort checks to accomplish before the cabin door is closed and the aircraft pushes. One of those things is closing the OH bins.

So, if the OH bins are left open longer, something else has to be done earlier.

Which one of those other things would you have them do earlier since they are fools and you know how they ought to do their job better than they do?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: Star Alliance
The interesting thing about this is that I've never actually seen them go around closing the bins until all passengers are on board (or at least that section), what I have seen plenty of is passengers closing them before full, they put their carry on in and close it thinking it's their own private storage.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I'm in FC, I always close the bin(s) near me after FC has boarded if there are some empty FC seats in order to preserve overhead bin space for FC customers who board later. Usually my seatmate is grateful when I point out that the bin isn't full and I closed it to prevent it getting filled with coach bags.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
How would you react if a visitor to your workplace, who has never worked in your industry or profession, started to tell you all the things you were doing wrong? You won't get very far telling the cabin crew that they don't know how to do their jobs - even if that were true. In my experience, it usually isn't.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The picayune complaints and accompanying fury that appear on this site are a never ending source of wonder and amusement. When the FAs close the overhead bin is a new one!
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When I'm in FC, I always close the bin(s) near me after FC has boarded if there are some empty FC seats in order to preserve overhead bin space for FC customers who board later. Usually my seatmate is grateful when I point out that the bin isn't full and I closed it to prevent it getting filled with coach bags.
Unless you're an airline employee, that's out of line. Not your job.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hard to fault the OP here.

Closed bins, even when full, only slow down the boarding process as pax stop to open each one to see if there is room inside.

Leave the bins open until boarding is finished.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Too many busy bodies with too much time on their hands here.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by nerd
Hard to fault the OP here.

Closed bins, even when full, only slow down the boarding process as pax stop to open each one to see if there is room inside.

Leave the bins open until boarding is finished.
This. Closing them early actually leads to a less efficient boarding process, even if the bins are truly full, which they often are not.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by justforfun
This. Closing them early actually leads to a less efficient boarding process, even if the bins are truly full, which they often are not.
+1 If the OP is finding this practice on a particular airline, a concisely worded email to customer service might be merited. Chances are boarding is being slowed down by this practice.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Too many busy bodies with too much time on their hands here.
+1 (that's new??)

Last edited by mike2200; Mar 6, 2016 at 11:53 am
Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Sadly not
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by formeraa
Chances are boarding is being slowed down by this practice.
Either that, or no flight in the history of humankind has ever been significantly delayed by this practice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.