Reload this Page >

Do you "dress up" to fly premium cabin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you "dress up" to fly premium cabin?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:25 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
No way, i put my PJ's on after departure...

have you ever set in FC on an International flight,,,,
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by deniah
90% consideration of departure/destination (i.e. Purpose)

10% consideration of flying environment (cabin temp? Will i sleep? Are pjs provided?)

Dressing for decorum or with consideration of other passengers? No

I do the same. I'm not going to dress like a slob but I'm also not going to dress up unless 100% necessary when flying in any cabin.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I wear basically the same thing every time I fly, regardless of cabin or purpose. Sneakers, blue jeans, button down shirt. Polo shirt in the summer.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:41 pm

I will, if it's a really long flight, or involves flying somewhere with very hot weather, wear one of my seersucker suits. I find them as comfortable as p.j.'s but it's an actual suit. Worn with a long sleeved white shirt and a pair of boots or loafers, I have a very easy time. Compared to say, a binding pair of jeans and a cheap tee shirt, I can travel for hours of bus rides and plane rides without any discomfort.

Chuck
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I used to dress up when upgrades were done at the airport and were discretionary. I probably still would if hoping for an OPUP from an airline that doesn't use some ordering rule based on status, fare class, etc. so that basically airport staff are picking the passengers to be given these "free" upgrades.

The last time I remember deciding to dress up for a flight was when I was flying home from Europe during a major (pilots') strike.

One of my mentors was a firm believer that one is treated better during travel if one dresses up a bit to look professional. For a long time, I always followed that advice when flying. Now I sometimes try to dress up a bit to check into certain hotels. I also dress for dinner in a good restaurant (and sometimes even to use a good hotel lounge in the evening).
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, United Club
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
I used to. Maybe because I was younger or partly because it was more common many years ago. Nowadays I care most about my comfort...flying (premium cabin or not) gets tiring very quickly once you do it often enough and anything you can do to feel comfortable helps a lot.
I also used to dress up when i was younger. During that time (college and shortly after) i definitely felt like i was treated better when i wasn't in jeans and tee/sweatshirt. Now i dress comfortable, especially for long-haul.

Dan
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by CKA1
I used to always fly in a business suit even one one cabin planes, because it meant I could bring one more suit with me than if I crammed it into my suitcase.
Logical. If you need a suit at destination then it would be better to wear the suit and stuff casual dress in luggage - rather than arrive with your suit damaged from being stuffed in luggage and need to find iron in a hurry. Right?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:53 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack
Logical. If you need a suit at destination then it would be better to wear the suit and stuff casual dress in luggage - rather than arrive with your suit damaged from being stuffed in luggage and need to find iron in a hurry. Right?
The suit or other business clothing could also be stained or wrinkled during the flight and look much worse than if it had been packed in a suitcase. Or the business clothes could end up being smelly after someone sleeps in them during a long flight.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:28 pm

I look at it like this. Assume you have space for one suit and a couple shirts. You could pack a suit, or you can pack business casual gear and wear the suit. I choose to both pack and wear a suit, resulting in at least one viable option for business. My private business (away from the church) is in sales and if I'm traveling on business, I'm hopefully working very hard.

I do sometimes bring a swimsuit if the hotel has a pool. In all honesty, for work related travel, my primary concern is a bed, a private toilet and a shower. Pleasure travel is much different, but I'm not a person who books into the Hilton for a 48 hour trip.

The other advantage to wearing a suit on the plane is that, regardless of where you're sitting, you don't have to go change from a tracksuit to a business suit. Seersucker is both practical and appropriate for business. If I were to sleep in it, I'd remove my jacket. And if there is food on the plane? I generally pass, as often I have client dinners and getting wooed by suppliers, so I'm never hungry. For four hours, I'm willing to wear a suit, and pack another.

Chuck
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:29 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I dress for the purpose and location of my trip. Typically I am dressed a bit nicer than my peers would in the same situation, but that's just me. I don't do it to look the part for premium class. I certainly don't do it with the expectation that dressing better in and of itself will fetch me a free upgrade. Plenty of jerks own nice clothes. I figured that out after a few years on my own, and I think most other adults have, too.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:53 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Comfort all the way. My typical journeys are in Y and if I do door to door in under 24 hours it's a short one. I wear smart casual but comfy so jersey dresses or trouser suits or trousers and a tunic plus a DKNY cosy because they can be used as a cardigan, a wrap, a pillow...

My big problem is dressing for climate. Am currently in Lusaka where it is around 28c. Am leaving Thursday night for home here it is currently 1c. Either I leave here in warm clothes and look ridiculous or I arrive home in clothes not suitable for UK in winter. Have to have layers to add. (Once arrived home in birkenstocks to find snow on the ground and while my husband brought a ski jacket to the airport he didn't know or think to bring proper shoes for me!)
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Not a thing different between Y, J or F. Comfort over all.
Agreed. Not to mention, if I end up in business or first, it's usually by luck (upgrade) at flight time.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
No, I can't think of any time where a public transportation journey of any type has affected my choice of dress, other than maybe to dress more comfortably.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Casual always but with an eye on the cut and colour. Rather be wearing some good casuals that have a bit of style than expensive stuff that looks drab and ill fitting. Probably doesn't apply to any FTers but I think its just as important to make sure you're fresh smelling as well. Have sat next to suits with BO enough times to know it's not always the cut of the clothes but what's under it that's important.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lloydah
I think its just as important to make sure you're fresh smelling as well.
Indeed, I like to use about a half a bottle of Drakkar before I board any flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.