Wiki Posts
Search

AF/MK(W) or EK(Y)?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: American AAdvantage
AF/MK(W) or EK(Y)?

I'm planning a trip to Mauritius. Between Air France/Air Mauritius in Premium Economy and Emirates in Economy, which would folks choose? How does the AF/MK(W) soft product compare to EK(Y)? Unfortunately, the AF/MK choice would require a DL domestic flight in Economy(S) to get to an AF hub.

Thanks for your input.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
AF Premium Eco is clearly better than Emirates Y, foodwise, seatwise, spacewise. (Have a look at the seat on AF's website.)
For me this would be a very easy decision.
Not sure though why you mention Air Mauritius here. They don't have Premium Economy, do they?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I cannot think of a single example where W<Y.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cityflyer369
Not sure though why you mention Air Mauritius here. They don't have Premium Economy, do they?
Yes, they do. Air Mauritius Premium Economy class

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I cannot think of a single example where W<Y.
The descriptions, which I've read on some airline websites, W has a better hard product than Y but the soft product (e.g., meal service) appears to be the same.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:50 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Sant
The descriptions, which I've read on some airline websites, W has a better hard product than Y but the soft product (e.g., meal service) appears to be the same.
Can you provide an example? I can't think of any airline with a true W product that has no differentiated soft product to Y.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by nux
Can you provide an example? I can't think of any airline with a true W product that has no differentiated soft product to Y.
AF(W) is essentially the Y main with the J appetizer. The difference in wine selection is also negligible and there is no difference in alcoholic beverages. That being said AF(W) is going to be better than EK(Y).
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
When I read Luftansa's description a couple months ago, I thought it only mentioned food on fine china. I looked at it today and it specially mentions a different menu.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Where are you originating in the USA that has an Emirates nonstop flight, presumably to DXB, but no AF/DL/KLM/VS nonstop to Europe?

You have the option of forcing the ticket to book into FC on the DL domestic flight or alternatively paying DL for a C+ seat.

BTW, on AF there's an option to pay a bit in advance to book a somewhat better meal, IIRC one choice is duck and the other Italian.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:04 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
Quote:

Originally Posted by nux

AF(W) is essentially the Y main with the J appetizer. The difference in wine selection is also negligible and there is no difference in alcoholic beverages. That being said AF(W) is going to be better than EK(Y).
In this context also note that IMHO AF catering in Y is already better than EK catering in Y.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by cityflyer369
In this context also note that IMHO AF catering in Y is already better than EK catering in Y.
Indeed, and on AF, even in Y you get free Champagne.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Where are you originating in the USA that has an Emirates nonstop flight, presumably to DXB, but no AF/DL/KLM/VS nonstop to Europe?
DFW

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
BTW, on AF there's an option to pay a bit in advance to book a somewhat better meal, IIRC one choice is duck and the other Italian.
I notice this option is only available from some US airports.

Last edited by Sant; Feb 9, 2016 at 8:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.